VA rating of 100% for unemployability, what effect on DOD disability retirement rating? TDRL

CPTT2018

Registered Member
I have an 80% VA rating snd 70% DOD rating. The VA rating is for PTSD and depression as well as some other physical ailments, the DOD rating is just for the unfitting PTSD and depression. For me, the 70% DoD retirement compensation is more than the 100% VA disabilty compensation, so I receive my DOD disability retirement, offset by 80% VA compensation.

Question: if the VA rates me at 100% for IU, will my DOD retirement rating increase as well?

I know that the 2 pots of money are for different things. The DOD rating is based on those conditions that render you unfit for service. But a IU rating is not a condition as much as it is an effect of the unfitting condition(s).

Does anyone now how and when a DOD rating can be increased?

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
70% DoD TDRL?

The TDIU will not affect it until you are up for a review. It would be a good thing for the TDRL to potentially be remain at 70% TDRL or possible PDRL.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Are your TDRL? If so DoD will rate you again.

If you are PDRL, your DoD rating will not change based on a VA change.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I have an 80% VA rating snd 70% DOD rating. The VA rating is for PTSD and depression as well as some other physical ailments, the DOD rating is just for the unfitting PTSD and depression. For me, the 70% DoD retirement compensation is more than the 100% VA disabilty compensation, so I receive my DOD disability retirement, offset by 80% VA compensation.

Question: if the VA rates me at 100% for IU, will my DOD retirement rating increase as well?

I know that the 2 pots of money are for different things. The DOD rating is based on those conditions that render you unfit for service. But a IU rating is not a condition as much as it is an effect of the unfitting condition(s).

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Bottom line, the answer is no since any change in a DoD rating while placed onto the TDRL can only be implemented by the appropriate military service branch's Physical Disability Agency LDES PEB during a TDRL medical re-evaluation.

In retrospect, I was placed onto the DoD military TDRL at a DoD (Army) 50% rating for PTSD in the 2014 calendar year. With a long 4 year and 17 day tenure on the TDRL, I was finally placed onto the DoD military PDRL at a DoD (Army) 100% rating approximately four months ago in the 2018 calendar year.

As such, the federal law provides for a maximum tenure of five years if placed on the TDRL prior to January 1, 2017 and a maximum of three years if placed on the TDRL after January 1, 2017; there is no entitlement to be retained for the entire period. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

rbogati

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member

I know that the 2 pots of money are for different things. The DOD rating is based on those conditions that render you unfit for service. But a IU rating is not a condition as much as it is an effec

Can you still work after getting out of military if you have DOD disability rating of 70%? I heard if soldier get more than 60% DOD disability he/she will be unemployed. Thank you for your response in advance.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">