VA ratings null and void

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
There is the statement in my VA ratings I have received during my MEB, its says the VA ratings are contingent on separation from the Service during the IDES process. I am trying to make it to 20 years and have applied for regular military retirement.

If I make it to 20 years, and the MEB process is not complete, what happens to my VA ratings that will be over a year old at my retirement? If possible after 20 years should I still take the medical retirement?

details at the time of my projected MILITARY retirement dat of September 2020:
I will be 38 years old
20 years of service, all active duty days (Active duty and AGR combined)
Va ratings (received Aug 2019) 100% Permanent and Total
DoD ratings (received Aug 2019) 70%
MEB PDRL was recommended but I have appealed to NGB and there is no decision on the horizon (ANG do not have approved LAS process so my appeal has been stayed by AFPC until further guidance)

What should my retirement path be come Sep 2020, medical or military? Will my VA ratings need a re-eval if I retire militarily? I will be eligible for CRDP immediately correct?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
If you are allowed to stay to 20 you will have to apply for Benefits Delivery at Discharge. It will be a different process.

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
There is the statement in my VA ratings I have received during my MEB, its says the VA ratings are contingent on separation from the Service during the IDES process. I am trying to make it to 20 years and have applied for regular military retirement.

If I make it to 20 years, and the MEB process is not complete, what happens to my VA ratings that will be over a year old at my retirement? If possible after 20 years should I still take the medical retirement?

details at the time of my projected MILITARY retirement dat of September 2020:
I will be 38 years old
20 years of service, all active duty days (Active duty and AGR combined)
Va ratings (received Aug 2019) 100% Permanent and Total
DoD ratings (received Aug 2019) 70%
MEB PDRL was recommended but I have appealed to NGB and there is no decision on the horizon (ANG do not have approved LAS process so my appeal has been stayed by AFPC until further guidance)

What should my retirement path be come Sep 2020, medical or military? Will my VA ratings need a re-eval if I retire militarily? I will be eligible for CRDP immediately correct?
At 20 years of service, your military pension would be 50% of your high-3. With your medical retirement, you would get 70% of your high-3. On the surface, it would appear that you would make more with a medical retirement. @RonG, any words of wisdom?

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
At 20 years of service, your military pension would be 50% of your high-3. With your medical retirement, you would get 70% of your high-3. On the surface, it would appear that you would make more with a medical retirement. @RonG, any words of wisdom?
As I know it, CRDP only pays out to your longevity, so my military retirement would be 50% and CRDP would be capped at 50%...
If I went with the medical retirement at 70% - all of it would get waived by my 100% VA payment and then only 50% CRDP recovery.... netting me the same thing.

That is how I was taking all the info to mean

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I have given that subject some thought from time to time.

--Assuming he is receiving a CH 61 retirement...

--Obviously 70% is "better" than 50%.
--However, whichever is chosen, it will be reduced by the amount of the VA compensation received.
--IF the retiree is eligible for CRDP now with 50% or more VA (I assume the retiree will have 7200 points) including 20 good years. the CRDP will restore the dollar amount of the longevity retirement. Any residual retired pay plus CRDP cannot exceed the longevity retirement amount.
--If CRDP was not a factor (ineligible), any residual retired pay would be retained by the retiree and there is no CRDP to consider.

A more sophisticated analysis probably exists, but that is how I view it.

Ron

Edited to add: 20 years of service seems to mean different things to different people. One retiree might be talking about "20 good years," another might be speaking of 20 years active duty (or equivalent). Then...there is the 20 years for pay purposes factor which for me as a former draftee with inactive reserve for 2 years before reenlisting in 1970, that I would have at some point
(example) 22 years for basic pay rate and 20 years for service (which meant AD in my case).

Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Re: "That is how I was taking all the info to mean ."

Yes.

Assuming all your retired pay was reduced to zero due to the amount of VA comp received. See my preceding post regarding residual retired pay.

Ron

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am 'unfortunately' an Active Duty guy serving in a Guard body.... I did 6 years active duty and Palace Chased direct into AGR. So every service day I have is an active duty day. To me 20 years is 20 years same same. But I know the guard guys talk about 3 or more different 20 year targets. That's too much for me, Active duty is so easy so I never bothered to learn how the guard actually works.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Yes, it is confusing to me as well. My only experience with guard/reserves was at Ft Benning, GA as a SSG manually computing payrolls for them in 1974. I remember they were “authorized” to wear wigs so they did not have to cut their hair...at least that is what a LTC told me.

We were short of staff so I helped with the payroll preparation.

Ron

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
If they allow you to stay on it is under a program called “limited assignment status” (LAS) for Air Force and “continuation of active duty” (COAD) for Army.

Here is the Army guidance, I’m not sure on where to find the Air Force regulations.http://wct.army.mil/modules/soldier/s6-coadCOAR.html

If accepted to LAS, your IDES claim will eventually expire and you will will either be referred to a MEB/PEB or you can apply for BDD.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">