VA Re-Eval

borebrotherbore

Registered Member
So back story, medically retired in January of this year with 70% DoD and 80% VA. I had 17 years in and was a SFC. Just got my CRSC decision from HRC a couple weeks ago that was for 70%. So I should hear back from DFAS soon about how much they will be awarding me.

My main SC was major depressive, recurring, without psychosis.

In June I was close to committing suicide and luckily had the guts to drive myself to the largest VA facility near me. I spent roughly 3 weeks there in the psych ward. Then another month in a domiciliary (recovery home for vets). I left after 4 weeks as I realized the program was really for vets with substance abuse problems and not really geared to people with just a major depression disorder.

So fast forward to yesterday, I get a random call from the VA. They ask if I can participate in a teleconference call the next day for a re-evaluation. I ask the lady who called me what this was for and she said it was for 'a reevaluation for a ratings increase for my MDD'. Well, that's weird as I never submitted any paperwork for a ratings increase.

As I spoke to the therapist that was tasked with my re-eval he asked how long I have been service connected. I said since January and he commented on how this was weird as re-evals usually come two years after retirement.

How fucked am I? I have read that if the VA was going to re-eval you for a decrease that have to send you a written notice with their intentions.

Could the VA have initiated their own ratings increase evaluation?

This is stressing me the fuck out and I just started my damn electrical engineering courses at school. Freaking 18 credit hours and then the VA drops this shit on me.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The VA will send a letter which is a proposal to reduce a rating. The veteran has 60 days to rebut the proposal and 30 days to request a hearing.

The action above is separate from a reevaluation, but it could result from the reevaluation. None of this appears to be developing at this time.

Most reductions of which I have knowledge resulted from an in-person evaluation.

Ron

borebrotherbore

Registered Member
Just so weird then, a rating increase re-eval would take more then a phone call too wouldn't it?

I guess they have all the evidence they need already as I was hospitalized in a VA facility and they know what new medications they have put me on.

I will at least stop stressing that this was for a ratings decrease.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I wish the best for you...
Ron

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Are you on TDRL? If so then this is normal its the only time the VA can re-evaluate at such a short time your PEB paperwork will give the VA guidance that a review is needed within 6-18 months. If you are going to school full time this seriously jeopardizes your DoD and VA MH ratings as the higher they are the more likely you would not be functioning well as a full time student or full time job.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">