VARR Questions - Requesting Rating Increase

vision2019

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Air Force here (if that matters)- just received my ratings the other day for BIPOLAR II/Major Depression. 10% DOD/20% VA. It was noted that I have definite social/life impairment and only moderate occupational impairment under severe stress. That's not necessarily the case. Hoping to get my rating increased to 30% because of obvious reasons. Already spoke with the Office of Airmen's Counsel and am working with an attorney. We discussed the different options and I'm choosing to waive the formal board and instead gather documentation/witness statements to submit with the one-time VA Reconsideration (VARR). Planning on focusing on the occupational impairment aspect, proving that my conditions affect me more than prior documentation portrayed. I was informed that if the VA rating is increased, the DOD has to follow suit so what would I need to request my new VA rating to get a 30% DOD rating? Sorry still trying to learn rating disability math. Also, if anyone has gone through a similar process and would like to share their experience, that would be appreciated!

vision2019

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Edited message with info I forgot to include:

Air Force here (if that matters)- just received my ratings the other day for BIPOLAR II/Other, embarassing, issue. 10% DOD/20% VA (10% for the bipolar and 10% for the other issue that I'm surprised received a rating in the first place). It was noted that with the bipolar disorder I have definite social/life impairment and only moderate occupational impairment under severe stress. That's not necessarily the case. Hoping to get my rating increased to 30% because of obvious reasons. Already spoke with the Office of Airmen's Counsel and am working with an attorney. We discussed the different options and I'm choosing to waive the formal board and instead gather documentation/witness statements to submit with the one-time VA Reconsideration (VARR). Planning on focusing on the occupational impairment aspect, proving that my conditions affect me more than prior documentation portrayed. I was informed that if the VA rating is increased, the DOD has to follow suit so what would I need to request my new VA rating to get a 30% DOD rating? The way I currently understand it is that if I am able to get my bipolar rating increased to 30% with the VA, my overall rating will be 40% and the DOD would have to increase their rating by 20% as well. This could be completely wrong as I'm still trying to learn rating disability math. Also, if anyone has gone through a similar process and would like to share their experience, that would be appreciated!

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Edited message with info I forgot to include:

Air Force here (if that matters)- just received my ratings the other day for BIPOLAR II/Other, embarassing, issue. 10% DOD/20% VA (10% for the bipolar and 10% for the other issue that I'm surprised received a rating in the first place). It was noted that with the bipolar disorder I have definite social/life impairment and only moderate occupational impairment under severe stress. That's not necessarily the case. Hoping to get my rating increased to 30% because of obvious reasons. Already spoke with the Office of Airmen's Counsel and am working with an attorney. We discussed the different options and I'm choosing to waive the formal board and instead gather documentation/witness statements to submit with the one-time VA Reconsideration (VARR). Planning on focusing on the occupational impairment aspect, proving that my conditions affect me more than prior documentation portrayed. I was informed that if the VA rating is increased, the DOD has to follow suit so what would I need to request my new VA rating to get a 30% DOD rating? The way I currently understand it is that if I am able to get my bipolar rating increased to 30% with the VA, my overall rating will be 40% and the DOD would have to increase their rating by 20% as well. This could be completely wrong as I'm still trying to learn rating disability math. Also, if anyone has gone through a similar process and would like to share their experience, that would be appreciated!
If the VARR comes back 30% for MH then you would get 30+[.10x70]=37 (rounds up to 40%). DoD would then change to retirement at 40% for your two unfitting conditions.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Do a search on these forums for “VARR that worked” it shows my VARR for mental health. I was rated at 60% MH and after the VARR I was rated 70% MH.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran

vision2019

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you for sharing. Yours is much more thorough than mine so far, that's for sure. The fact that you were able to cite specific examples is great. I could ask for a printout of my mental health records (I'm sure it'll be at least 75 pages long) and take a similar route. From working with the OAC attorney and the example he gave me, I basically just drafted a 1 1/2 page memorandum requesting the increase to 30% for Bipolar II, citing specific examples that correspond to the VASRC but I don't have concrete evidence from medical records. I was going to substantiate this with a letter from my psychiatrist, a letter from my coworker/NCOIC and a letter from my spouse. My issue is that I never focused much on the occupational aspect since my marital/family issues were understandably top priority. Also, my unit has been very understanding in working with me to make things easier at work. I'm going to have my NCOIC address those issues- helps that I worked with him many years ago at our first duty station so he can speak to the differences he's noticed since now and then.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I would print the VA Mg rating criteria and hand it you tor psych so they can see the wording VA is looking for.

vision2019

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I would print the VA Mg rating criteria and hand it you tor psych so they can see the wording VA is looking for.
That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. I see my psych tomorrow and am bringing my whole package including the rating chart.

Pavetim

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Can you request a VAAR for a specific thing or do they look at your whole package? I am wanting to do a VAAR to buy more time but don't want to risk lowering my 100% VA rating.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">