Veterans Affairs Dept. tells Capitol Hill it won't repay underpaid GI Bill benefits recipients

Hawkeye99

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Well, this is pretty much right on par with how everything else has gone for me with this joke of an organization. Wow!

"Veterans Affairs Dept. tells Capitol Hill it won't repay underpaid GI Bill benefits recipients
The news conflicts with a promise VA officials made to a House committee earlier this month that it would reimburse those veterans who received less than the full amount they were due.

According to the aides, however, the VA said it could not make retroactive payments without auditing its previous education claims, which it said would delay future claims. The aides asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to speak publicly."

Source Link

Just in case any of y'all are interested,

I watched the Committee on VA hearing earlier today. It started off with the VBA Under Secretary stating that everybody will be eventually be paid correctly sometime in Jan 2020, so I thought we must be good....

But, later he seemed to get a bit elusive. He essentially said that they (VA) currently don't know if there will be any BAH money discrepancies causing the VBA to reimburse students going to school on the GI Bill this semester and in the future prior to Dec. 2019 when the VBA audits the program (I don't think he used the word "audit" but that's what it sounded like). I thought this was already known because my school's VA rep sent an email earlier this semester stating the amount we all were supposed to be getting paid, which was, if I recall correctly, almost $100 more than us full-timers have been receiving in BAH.

If I had to wager, I'd put my money on the VBA determining in Dec 2019 that no reimbursements are due and everything is good. If you want, here's the YT link to the hearing:

Just in case any of y'all are interested,

I watched the Committee on VA hearing earlier today. It started off with the VBA Under Secretary stating that everybody will be eventually be paid correctly sometime in Jan 2020, so I thought we must be good....

But, later he seemed to get a bit elusive. He essentially said that they (VA) currently don't know if there will be any BAH money discrepancies causing the VBA to reimburse students going to school on the GI Bill this semester and in the future prior to Dec. 2019 when the VBA audits the program (I don't think he used the word "audit" but that's what it sounded like). I thought this was already known because my school's VA rep sent an email earlier this semester stating the amount we all were supposed to be getting paid, which was, if I recall correctly, almost $100 more than us full-timers have been receiving in BAH.

If I had to wager, I'd put my money on the VBA determining in Dec 2019 that no reimbursements are due and everything is good. If you want, here's the YT link to the hearing:

Fortunately it looks like Congress actually did its job this time and the VA will be making this situation right. After congressional pressure, VA backtracks and commits to retroactively paying veterans