Voluntary REFRAD AGR T-10 ARNG

warrantarng

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
REFRAD, AGR T-10 and Miltech ARNG

I am 50 years old, currently on T-10 NG AGR. I would need to remain on AGR until age 60 in order to receive an Active Duty 20 year retirement. I vacated a Military technician position, GS-11, 4 years ago. I plan on returning to the MILTECH position and invoke my USERRA rights for re-employment (5 year rule). I have 23 years vested as a GS-11 MILTECH.

Since on active duty, I have been diagnosed and treated for the following:

· Spinal Stenosis in my cervical and lumbar spine.

· Bulging disc, herniated disk of the cervical and lumbar spine

· Carpal tunnel, right hand

· Dry eye syndrome

· Anxiety

· Osteoarthritis, both feet, right hip and hands

· Plan tars factitious

· Bladder incontinence

· tinnitus

· radiculopathy, right side (side diagnosis from Spinal stenosis)

I take medications daily for my ailments. My dilemma is that I have family hardships and need to return to my HOR and MILTECH position, however when I return to Georgia ARMY National Guard. I will be found non-fit for duty. Trust me this will occur! The current leaders of the ARNG are not happy with me. I filed a 65 page IG complaint, which has the Command scrambling.

My timeline to REFRAD is the last week of May 2016. I understand with 23 years of MILTECH (FERS) and age 50 that I “should” receive a medical retirement from my miltech GS-11 at 40%, if I am non-retained for medical.

Does anyone know what the MEB process is for traditional soldiers in the ARNG?

I have (2748) active duty points (953) IDT points, when the GA ARNG does the MEB, how is this process different than Active Duty MEB?

Should I request an MEB from active duty before I REFRAD?

If I request an MEB will I meet the 8 year rule and receive a military disability retirement?

Can I begin the VA disability process while on active duty?

I have (2748) active duty points (953) IDT points, when the GA ARNG does the MEB, how is this process different than Active Duty MEB?

If a MEB is imminent, I would do it while you are on active duty, this way you can still draw active duty wages and retirement points. There may be the possiblity of going to a Community Care Unit (CCU) closer to your home of record if you qualify.

Should I request an MEB from active duty before I REFRAD?

I would request it at the SRP sight while I am still on Active Duty, I am not sure how this will affect a MilTech postion, maybe someone else can chime in.

If I request an MEB will I meet the 8 year rule and receive a military disability retirement?

There are many factors that come into play for a disablity retirement, the main point is that you have to have at least one condition that you are found unfit by the PEB for and it must have a 30% or greated disability rating for all combined unfit conditions.

Can I begin the VA disability process while on active duty?

Yes, you can request benefits delivery at discharge (BDD) with the VA when you are 180 days away from REFRAD.