Weight Control, WTU packet, and Retirement

Grybakdow

Registered Member
almost sounds like an 80's movie.

If this has been discussed here previously, please let me know.

Active Army w/ 18+ years in, looking forward to retirement. Heres the thing. I'm broken. I have been broken for about two years. Bad feet & Bad knees. Was placed on a Temp dead man's profile and given extra hardware (ankle braces) and told by my Doc in 2014, that surgery will be required. My doc kept expending the profile just long enough so I could get surgery. Got it. Came down on PCS orders, so I PCS'ed. The day I cleared post; July 2015 was the same day my doc called telling me they have a surgery date of October 2015.

So I PCS, first order of busness is to get with surgeon at new duty station. Explain to doc the situation, the prognosis, and the plan. Surgeon says "roger got it." Shortly after I PCS'd in my 1SG says I look fat. He was right, I busted tape, the paperwork was begun for the ABCP. Had to go see the doc for their part. My doc did not clear me to participate in the ABCP. Not because of the pending surgeries, but for Sleep Apena - got the machine in 2010. I worked my butt off (starved it too) and got off the program. Got a compassionate back to previous duty station (long story....). PCS back.

Report in, look new BDE CSM, BN CSM, Acting 1SG, and Company Comander in the eye and explain to each of them that a) I am broke b) I am here to get surgeries and c) I will be submitting retirement packet in less than two months. They are say they got it.

Acting 1SG and Co CDR say I look fat, I bust tape - not surprized at all. They start the flag paperwork ,and tell me becuase I am being flagged for the same thing in less than12 months they have to start chapter paperwork. I get it. As I am signing my 4856 telling me I am fat, I slide over my retirement packet for signatures, and they signed. The actual 1SG is back and is understanding of the situation, and even recommeded I go to the WTU. Thats three packets with my name on it. BTW a MEB was never started becuase of my continous attempts to get surgeries scheduled.

I see the doc here, someone I have never met, and not even my PCM; cleared me to particiapte in ABCP. Which seems unusual, only because a different doc at a different duty station did not clear me.

Do I have any redress against the doctor who does not understand what the heck is going on?
Why would one doc clear for participation in ABCP and another would not?
Can I get chaptered out with 18+ years Active Federal Service?
Will getting moved to WTU make a bit of difference regarding the flag?
Will any of this block my retirement packet from going forward?

Routeclearanceguy92355

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So similar situation happened to my coworker and as shitty as it is yes technically with the new AR 600-9 and the change to the bar policy it can. The chapter packet and the retirement packet go up together and hrc will decide, however locally most brigade legals will not endorse any chapter packets on any meb or retirement eligible servicemembers as it usually will result in a pretty nasty ass chewing from HRC as to why they are wasting their time. I would get with your jag to clarify or if anyone here works for jag maybe can clarify but I would be more worried about this new bar to continued service as that appears to hold the most grey area that a commander could exploit.

Grybakdow

Registered Member
Check into the 18 year sanctuary rules and see if it applies to your case.
Forgot about sanctuary. As I am active duty, my read of the HRC site, it is automatic for AD. Reserves have to apply. See copy/paste below.

"Enlisted Sanctuary Program is a federal program for protecting military service members from being forced to leave military service when they are close to attaining active-duty retirement eligibility.
The Sanctuary program as defined by Title 10 of the United States Code, is a federal program for protecting military service members from being forced to leave military service when they are close to attaining active-duty retirement eligibility.

Any Reserve Soldier on active duty who has attained 18 years or more (but less than 20 years) of active service.

While Sanctuary protections are automatic for active duty Soldiers, reserve Soldiers on Active Duty who attain 18 years or more (but less than 20 years) of active service must forward a request to the Sanctuary Team here. Specifically claiming this sanctuary status to ensure they remain on active duty once their current tour ends."

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Just be aware that sanctuary will protect you from weight control but it does not protect against a MEB. Try and drag it out to 20, you'll be much better off as you can collect both retirement and VA under CDRP.

Grybakdow

Registered Member
Just be aware that sanctuary will protect you from weight control but it does not protect against a MEB. Try and drag it out to 20, you'll be much better off as you can collect both retirement and VA under CDRP.
Good thing I hit 19 years next month.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">