We're stuck! PT fails, then discharge, THEN taking away a stripe, AND no date/orders!

AFfiancee

Registered Member
Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated with this.

So, my fiance has been struggle with PT fails for awhile with no/little disciplinary action until the end of last year. He was given discharge paperwork approximately in mid-December, we decided to go through the board to stay in. Then, he failed another PT test and was told a stripe was being taken away. At that point, the stress was too high, he felt mistreated and we decided he would forgo the board to be discharged sooner. We just want to get on with our lives. As of Mid-January, we were told 2 to 4 weeks for orders that would give 24 to 48 hour notice of final discharge date. WE ARE STILL WAITING!!! He's in TAPS this week and can't take advantage of doing the VA stuff on Friday because without orders he can't get medical records or something. I'm at a loss. I'm tired of quizzing him on what about this and what about that. We aren't married so it's impossible for me to help, it seems at least. I'm confused and beyond frustrated. Any explanations and suggestions!?

First of all, he needs to know his AFIs. The Commander can probably take a stripe, but then your fiance could argue that he didn't receive anything prior to the stripe taken away (go to ADC for this). The term arbitrary and capricious comes to mind. How long has he been in? Is he able to take the full test? Has the commander actually taken the stripe, or has the stripe actually been removed?

Waiting for orders to get out can take a while and be stressful, but you can only hang on...

Now, on to the real issue: foregoing the MEB/PEB. I would recommend that you tell him to stay in and fight for every percentage point he can get. Med board retirement is almost just like regular retirement. IF you don't get the retirement decision, you still get a severance pay based on time in service. Then the VA stuff will get done around 6 months after getting out and you can use the severance to stay afloat. You can also stash money away while the MEB is going and any time you are in counts toward the severance time in service (including the time on MEB/PEB). It will be hard and stressful during the time, but afterward, when you have money to pay bills, you will be thankful you stayed in for the MEB.

Lastly, take some zen classes or something and try to get some relaxation in. Whatever you guys decide to do, remember, "This too shall pass". It is hard to do, and you guys are going to see some tough times ahead no matter what you decide.

He's been in for 9 years. He's able to take the full test. Been having trouble with the run. Once waist measurement was over, he tried to get re measured because his waist has never been measured at a fail, but no luck with that. After that fail, is when it started to rain all this doom. He still wears all his stripes, and never has gotten official word to take one off.

Over the last few years, he has developed several sleep disturbances (including, apnea), and recently gotten treatment (about the time of all this, he finally got medical help for it). And because of all this previously controlled anxiety/depression is now being medically treated also. This last part is a major reason for opting not to go in front of the board. Although I do know a medical board cleared him... Or something. I'll have to check in with him about these acronyms!

Thanks for some insight, I will take any further information anyone has. I just wanna be able make thing happen! We are planning to move back across country and it's hard to start a new life when stuck here without even an end in sight now!

First of all, he needs to know his AFIs. The Commander can probably take a stripe, but then your fiance could argue that he didn't receive anything prior to the stripe taken away (go to ADC for this). The term arbitrary and capricious comes to mind. How long has he been in? Is he able to take the full test? Has the commander actually taken the stripe, or has the stripe actually been removed?

Waiting for orders to get out can take a while and be stressful, but you can only hang on...

Now, on to the real issue: foregoing the MEB/PEB. I would recommend that you tell him to stay in and fight for every percentage point he can get. Med board retirement is almost just like regular retirement. IF you don't get the retirement decision, you still get a severance pay based on time in service. Then the VA stuff will get done around 6 months after getting out and you can use the severance to stay afloat. You can also stash money away while the MEB is going and any time you are in counts toward the severance time in service (including the time on MEB/PEB). It will be hard and stressful during the time, but afterward, when you have money to pay bills, you will be thankful you stayed in for the MEB.

Lastly, take some zen classes or something and try to get some relaxation in. Whatever you guys decide to do, remember, "This too shall pass". It is hard to do, and you guys are going to see some tough times ahead no matter what you decide.

In my opinion; this is good insightful information. :)

Thus, possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer.

Best Wishes!