What ankle rating can I expect?

dwbell99

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
The VA doctor said the Dorsiflexion in my left ankle is 10 degrees and the the Plantar Flexion is 15 degrees.

187thINF

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
dwbell99; this is an SME question.

VA rating range of motion ankle
  • Normal range of motion for the ankle is 0° to 20° dorsiflexion and 0° to 45° plantar flexion. A 20% rating is given for a markedly limited range of motion and a 10% is given for a moderately limited range of motion.

dwbell99

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
dwbell99; this is an SME question.

VA rating range of motion ankle
  • Normal range of motion for the ankle is 0° to 20° dorsiflexion and 0° to 45° plantar flexion. A 20% rating is given for a markedly limited range of motion and a 10% is given for a moderately limited range of motion.
What does SME mean?

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Did you have "pain through out movement" added or is it just limitations and pain at the maximum flexion you can achieve?

The VA doctor said the Dorsiflexion in my left ankle is 10 degrees and the the Plantar Flexion is 15 degrees.

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Painful Motion (§4.59): This is the most commonly used principle. Basically, regardless of how much the service member can move his knee (or any joint), if it hurts when he moves it, then he will get at least the lowest compensable rating for the knee (or any joint)

I asked because if that is checked, then you a guaranteed ATLEAST a minimum rating.... but in the other rating qualifications as above you fall in moderate for flexion less than 15/30 but not less than 5/10 - which is the minimum rating anyways of 10%

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Pain gives you a minimum rating of 10%, when there in no other higher rating percentage. The ROM you listed warrants a 20% rating.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">