What are my chances for return to duty?

corkyb17

Registered Member
I am an E-5 with six years in I was recently diagnosed with atrial fibrillation a cardiac condition. My IMEB came back medical discharge with 10% disability. On my medical profile it states only that I cannot run. I am currently getting letters from several supervisors and flight chiefs on my ability to do my job and how the cardiac condition does not effect my job performance. I am also trying to get a letter from my civilian doc to release me from all restrictions. All i want is to return to duty. What are my chances at the FPEB here in a month or so?

AFPEBLO

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Its hard to say, what code did they rate you under and if you comfortable telling me, what's your treatment plan or needs?

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
corkyb17,

Welcome, good to have you here!

You seem to be covering the bases. In most cases, the ability to function at work without significant limitations is key. However, with certain medical conditions, the medical opinion is more important. I would think that a vital issue in your case may be your doctors opinion/assesment about if continued duty would pose a threat to your continued health. Hard to say without knowing more, but I would say you should consider this if you want a fit finding.

Best of luck and please post any follow up questions.

corkyb17

Registered Member
AFPEBLO
The doc wants me to stay on a med until Jan 09 just to make sure the a-fib does not show up again. If it does not come back he would like me to stay on it. The doc has asked me if I am running but the AF doc put me on the profile. I am hoping if the
civ
doc writes a letter saying I am fit to run maybe the AF doc will withdraw the profile. On my code I am not quite sure what it is. When I got the news I got really mad that they wanted to discharge me that I did not pay
attention
to the codes.

AFPEBLO

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I’m really disappointed if your PEBLO didn’t give you a copy of the findings when they briefed you, its just basic customer service (and they are supposed to). Your PEBLO gets the reports via e mail, asked them to forward it to you.

Depending on how many episodes you have had, it may not be the afib that’s driving the unfit decision but the meds (I presume an anticoagulant like Coumadin). Get a copy of your IPB report and see what the board wrote in the comments block at the bottom of the form. It’s probably short and vague but they always say something regarding their decision.

I’m a little confused by what you are saying about meds. Are you saying that if you are free from any afib symptoms from now to Jan then he may take you off the med completely? If yes and if this wasn’t in the original narrative then it’s certainly something to present to the FPEB.

Anyway, try to get the report and focus some of your energy on what the IPEB said. Input from your Flt Chiefs and supervisors are good but you need to understand and be able to speak to the IPEBs train of thought. The formal is a whole new group of people but they think and apply the same logic and standards.

lucky208

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Reviving an old thread,

Does the statement below mean that if someone is on anticoagulant leads to an unfit classification? Thanks.

Depending on how many episodes you have had, it may not be the afib that’s driving the unfit decision but the meds (I presume an anticoagulant like Coumadin). Get a copy of your IPB report and see what the board wrote in the comments block at the bottom of the form. It’s probably short and vague but they always say something regarding their decision.

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yes, sometimes he meds , not the underlying conditions drive separation/retirement. I did not see the original post. I would have ask if the original poster had an electrophysiology workup. Sometime an RFA can cure fibrillation.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">