What are my options?

ben49

Registered Member
So long story short, after tech school I started battling with anxiety and depression. Never had this before. Past trauma combined with hardship in the military most likely causing it. Went to my PCM and she diagnosed me with adjustment disorder. I've personally identified the stressor as the air force and decided its probably best that I separate. Obviously this isn't up to me and I accept this. Ive been diagnosed for 8 months with an adjustment disorder but its not considered chronic yet. Why is this? I've been going to mental health regularly since and have been prescribed over 6 medications for insomnia, depression, and anxiety. when I access Tricare it shows my diagnosis as "adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depression" but the date it started is the date I got diagnosed from mental health clinic not original PCM, is this a mistake? I need to get out of the military ASAP, my life is falling apart I'm not myself anymore I cant sleep and I just want to be happy and enjoy life again. How close am I to being medboarded?. Also is there an admin separation option instead of long med board process? I don't feel that I deserve disability so I'm not hard pressed to get medboarded, ill be fine on my own as a civilian I just need to get my family back to a happy home ASAP. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated I feel like mental health thinks I'm bullshitting just to get out but I'm genuinely worried about my mental health state. Thank you.

oddpedestrian

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
hmm you to goal-oriented on getting separated instead of getting treatment but it seems you just want out I don't know what to say in this situation the best way to separate is busting tape or failing a pt test as the unit has to grant an honorable admin separation (might want to double check that for air force but I know army regs require it). I don't want to sound too trolling here but stressor from the air force? Just day to day operations? You say that you would be fine as a civilian but I'm not so inclined to agree with that we all have to face adversity in life, we all have to go through some form of suffering sometimes long-term and enduring and facing those obstacles is what makes us capable of handling a fair amount of stress. I wish you the best of luck on the path you choose.

ben49

Registered Member
hmm you to goal-oriented on getting separated instead of getting treatment but it seems you just want out I don't know what to say in this situation the best way to separate is busting tape or failing a pt test as the unit has to grant an honorable admin separation (might want to double check that for air force but I know army regs require it). I don't want to sound too trolling here but stressor from the air force? Just day to day operations? You say that you would be fine as a civilian but I'm not so inclined to agree with that we all have to face adversity in life, we all have to go through some form of suffering sometimes long-term and enduring and facing those obstacles is what makes us capable of handling a fair amount of stress. I wish you the best of luck on the path you choose.
I guess I should have clarified this, I’m not just trying to get separated. I read that my diagnoses renders me unfit after 6 months so I’m just wondering what is going to happen so I can be prepared. I’ve been practicing mixed martial arts all my life and have taken devastating hits to the head. When I get into situations where people test me and try to shit on me like I’m a child it’s nearly impossible for me to let go and move on. I can’t just walk away in the military since that person is there everyday in my life and other situations that trigger the fight or flight in me. My worry is that’s it’s only a matter of time before I receive punishment for insubordination or something like that. Not going to lash out obviously. I can control myself, I’m just facing issues daily that my brain has trouble getting getting over. I can’t really control these things and I’m starting to fall into bad habits and destroying my important relationships. I posted this thread to get advice from people who have been diagnosed the same. I’m not trying to just quit the military or get in trouble on purpose that’s just silly, I’m an adult. I know what I signed up for I just didn’t know it would have such serious consequences. Thank you for your input though. Maybe I posted this thread in the wrong place?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">