What happens to CAC when officially retired

Somewhat of a different question but I still feel is relevant to PEB and or getting out discussion - Is if I am rated 30% or above I am considered officially considered "retired" - medically yes, but as I have had it explained to me, retired nonetheless. With its associated benefits, etc.

I believe this means I retain my CAC. If I retain my CAC, I can still access sites such as MyPay, MilSuite, Military email etc. correct? Even when I am retired? I ask b/c if not, I have a whole *&^%@*load of stuff I need to begin saving etc.

If you are medically retired, you will be issued a "Blue ID" card and will most likely have to turn in your CAC. If for some reason, they let you keep your CAC, you may get 1 to 2 weeks of access via your CAC certificates. Depending on several variables, you could lose access quicker than one week. Long story-short: Set up new passwords for access now and start saving anything from your Email account you may need. Enterprise Email will be the first thing to go. All the other sites you mentioned will still be accessible with a new login ID and password.

Leo

Somewhat of a different question but I still feel is relevant to PEB and or getting out discussion - Is if I am rated 30% or above I am considered officially considered "retired" - medically yes, but as I have had it explained to me, retired nonetheless. With its associated benefits, etc.

I believe this means I retain my CAC. If I retain my CAC, I can still access sites such as MyPay, MilSuite, Military email etc. correct? Even when I am retired? I ask b/c if not, I have a whole *&^%@*load of stuff I need to begin saving etc.
You will not be keeping your CAC. As mentioned previously you will be getting a blue retired ID card with no PKI capabilities.

Re: "Is if I am rated 30% or above I am considered officially considered "retired" - medically yes ..."

Retired is retired.

There are several types of retirement:
  • Regular Retirement
  • Reserve Retirement (NG/Reserve)
  • Temporary Disability Retirement List
  • Permanent Disability Retirement List
  • Temporary Early Retirement Authority
Ron

If you are medically retired, you will be issued a "Blue ID" card and will most likely have to turn in your CAC. If for some reason, they let you keep your CAC, you may get 1 to 2 weeks of access via your CAC certificates. Depending on several variables, you could lose access quicker than one week. Long story-short: Set up new passwords for access now and start saving anything from your Email account you may need. Enterprise Email will be the first thing to go. All the other sites you mentioned will still be accessible with a new login ID and password.

Leo

I would advise you to start a DS log in account and pick an email account to have all your retirement information sent to. Gmail is good for this purpose and is free. Update important websites with this new email. [MyPay, Mil Connect, Iperms, HRC...] And as previously advised, save, back up and or print copies of important information and contacts.

Don’t procrastinate in doing this.

SFC H

Much thanks everyone. Am doing it now. This might be a good thread for folks to reference when getting out. The sites I am tracking to get things backed up are:

MilConnect
Iperms (though I see this and the above the same)
Mypay
Move.mil - At least change to password
Outlook mail
HRC - but again, I see this same as Iperms/Milconnect
TSP - [this should stay in effect after service]

What am I missing? Broadly, Non-AOC/MOS dependent.

I kept my CAC for the same reasons, it worked for about 3 months post retirement then stopped (about half of that time was terminal leave). I think it’s part of the retirement processing that you lose access to your .mil email, milconnect, etc. you will have to switch over to regular login/password for my pay and iperms, when the switch happens in Iperms, you have to use login password and you’ll see a “retired/reserve” records, all of your active records will have been moved over. Of course I saved digital copies of all of those before I retired just in case, but they are still available post retirement.

I would advise you to start a DS log in account and pick an email account to have all your retirement information sent to. Gmail is good for this purpose and is free. Update important websites with this new email. [MyPay, Mil Connect, Iperms, HRC...] And as previously advised, save, back up and or print copies of important information and contacts.

Don’t procrastinate in doing this.

SFC H

Hmm... when I try to set up a pass word and log in it is overridden by my CAC access. THoughts?

Try setting up a DS login on My Healthy eVet, Ebenefits and VA.gov