What I wish I knew from day one.....

I loved reading this. NOT, because you had such a hard and horrible time, but because you give me hope. You fought and fought your way through this mess, and I am right behind you. Thank you for staying strong. It gives me strength to stay strong too. :)

Indeed, you are most welcome; always follow your own mind and your own heart as you continue to navigate through the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process!

To that extent, at the end of the day, your own body shall either keep you in the fight or allow the fight to pass; don't allow the fight to pass.

As such, you definitely have a strong mind and a strong will to continue the battle until resolution is receive which meets your own expectation(s).

Nonetheless, never default acceptance to potential injustice; fight for your rights then continue to fight some more is always my stance! Get those expected results now rather than later or never!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

CRSC -- Learn it and what it means for you.

Learn exactly what this is, how you are rated, and Exactly what words are used on your LOD, and in your medical records. One "stray" word, or something not worded exactly like the VA wants it to be worded, may possibly screw you up on the CRSC. Plus, if you are very close to 20 years, you may really want to look at this, and determine where to go from here.

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/combat-related-special-compensation.html

SUBJECT: Questions you will be asked when you start your MED Board and before your VA interview and C&P exam

Do these at home so you can take your time, and really get them correct.

Start on these questions now. Start from the top of your head, to the bottom of your feet. Think about every single little thing wrong with you. If you need help, ask another hurt Soldier. Also, ask your family (spouse, parents, siblings). Many times, your family will notice things about you that have changed (mental, emotional, social, physical, hearing, lifting, ADLs, etc), that you have not noticed. Do not go into your Med Board, VA, or even Social Security unprepared.

Once you use this for VA, then you can use it again for Social Security. So, be very detailed, and you will only need to do the work once. I promise, if you start on this as soon as your are "slated" for MED Board, and not the night before you need it, your life will be so much easier.

Use your medical records to use exact "medical terms" and how it really is listed as a DX -- (I messed up my records, as many Soldiers do, because I was using words such as maybe, sometimes, instead of medical words such as chronic, moderate, and severe)

The questions may seem the same, but they aren't. When it comes down to the VA, pain does not really count so much as how the pain affects your range of motion. Remember that. They don't care how much it hurts (really they don't). Everybody has pain. Anyone can have a level 8 pain and continue just fine, so it is how the pain limits your range of motion, or your day.

NOTE **** This is mostly true, but, with everything, there are exceptions -- If your diseases or condition is a PAIN Condition, such as Chronic Pain Syndrome, or FIBRO, then pain levels are very important.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Copy these questions onto a word document for EACH injury/ illness. This is one area you don't want to cheat yourself. Be very specific. Don't be a hero.

Name the body part that is injured or painful, or what illness has occurred. If you already have a DX, name that with the injury. Be as specific as possible. Your heel is not your foot, and your toe is not your foot. Your elbow, is not your arm. Your fingers are not your hand. Name each part separately. You may name each part in this area, but make sure it is all named separately. For example: On 15Jan2007, While deployed to Afghanistan, with the 110th Supply Company, I was ground guiding a fork lift while loading equipment in the back of a HET. The fork lift driver did not see me, and dropped the pallet of supplies directly on my right foot. 4 toes on my right foot, 4 bones, and my arch were smashed. My ankle also was affected by the amount of swelling and affected my range of motion.

Exactly where were you located when this occurred?

What were you participating in when this occurred? Be as specific as possible.

Explain how this injury occurred, or under what circumstances it started hurting: (The 5 Ws)

What providers have you seen for this one issue (this issue only)? What time frames did you see these providers? (If you saw the provider for other issues, it is ok to list the provider again for another issue.)

What is the address and phone number for this provider?

What medications have you taken for this issue only?

What procedures have you completed for this issue only? (physical therapy, surgery, braces, etc)

Think about ADLs, and IADLs, How does this injury or illness affect your daily life. Name all issues. Mentally and physically, from morning to bedtime. If it affects your sleep, state how it affects your sleeping pattern. Name all the little things in life that have changed due to the injury or illness.

State any relevant information pertaining to this issue only.

Last edited:
My ratings have come in, so now I wish to add another item I wish I had known when I first started this process.

1. The mistakes that are made in the beginning, will not be fixed "a long the way". No matter who tells you this, they are lying, and only trying to get you out of their office.

2. I wish I had found this website from DAY 1.

3. The people in the process (medical, legal, COC), are NOT your friends. In this process you have no friends in the WTU. You have to fight for your rights, and honestly, no one knows your case better than you do.

4. When those involved in your case state policies, and regulations, they are probably pulling it out from their butts. Double check all information giving to you and make sure you have copies on hand when fighting for your rights. I mean that!! There have been so many high ranking "leaders" who quoted "policy" and when I showed them the correct policy, it was like I had showed them the Holy Grail. It was like they had never seen it before.

5. How can I stress this enough... These people are not your friends. Don't go into this process thinking they are here to help you. They are here to "MANAGE YOU" and that is a huge difference than helping you.

6. I cannot stress this enough, when your leaders say they are coming for a visit, or worse, they just show up at your door, you DO NOT have to let them in. PLUS, they have NO legal right to force you to let them in. Keep in mind, they CAN, and WILL report everything they see out in the open in your home. AND after they are in, it is very easy for them to "wander" around your home (bathroom, kitchen, etc). This has not happened to me, because I knew my rights, but I was intimidated month after month to try to force me to let them in my home. It is highly illegal for them to do this.

7. Everything you say, CAN and WILL be held against you. YOU are not paranoid, YOU ARE being watched. Don't let anyone tell you different. Everything you say in any appointment, to other Soldiers, and even to your squad leader will come back and bite you in your ass. SO, learn this right away. Don't let it get the best of you, learn to use it to your advantage. The quicker you learn these lessons, the better your outcome will be.

That is all for now. I will continue posting as I go through the process.

My ratings have come in, so now I wish to add another item I wish I had known when I first started this process.

1. The mistakes that are made in the beginning, will not be fixed "a long the way". No matter who tells you this, they are lying, and only trying to get you out of their office.

2. I wish I had found this website from DAY 1.

3. The people in the process (medical, legal, COC), are NOT your friends. In this process you have no friends in the WTU. You have to fight for your rights, and honestly, no one knows your case better than you do.

4. When those involved in your case state policies, and regulations, they are probably pulling it out from their butts. Double check all information giving to you and make sure you have copies on hand when fighting for your rights. I mean that!! There have been so many high ranking "leaders" who quoted "policy" and when I showed them the correct policy, it was like I had showed them the Holy Grail. It was like they had never seen it before.

5. How can I stress this enough... These people are not your friends. Don't go into this process thinking they are here to help you. They are here to "MANAGE YOU" and that is a huge difference than helping you.

6. I cannot stress this enough, when your leaders say they are coming for a visit, or worse, they just show up at your door, you DO NOT have to let them in. PLUS, they have NO legal right to force you to let them in. Keep in mind, they CAN, and WILL report everything they see out in the open in your home. AND after they are in, it is very easy for them to "wander" around your home (bathroom, kitchen, etc). This has not happened to me, because I knew my rights, but I was intimidated month after month to try to force me to let them in my home. It is highly illegal for them to do this.

7. Everything you say, CAN and WILL be held against you. YOU are not paranoid, YOU ARE being watched. Don't let anyone tell you different. Everything you say in any appointment, to other Soldiers, and even to your squad leader will come back and bite you in your ass. SO, learn this right away. Don't let it get the best of you, learn to use it to your advantage. The quicker you learn these lessons, the better your outcome will be.

That is all for now. I will continue posting as I go through the process.

Indeed, keep it up; good job in my opinion! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!