script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

What is life like in SRU?

Hello, Idk if this is the right place o post this but I'm just wanting some information on the SRU(WTU). A little background, I'm Active Duty Stationed in Germany. I was diagnosed with severe illeal Crohn's Disease. My ARCP packet has been submitted, I'm waiting for my approval for it. I have to have infusions every 8 weeks for the next 2 years. The first year I will be evaluated to see if ill be fit to RTD. My question is how likely is the approval/disapproval process? What is the SRU environment like? What does day to day life look in a SRU? I also have a family, how will this impact my family?

CrimsonChin414

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
What branch? What’s SRU? I have Crohn’s as well. I was receiving infusions every 8 weeks but now it’s every 4 weeks for the remainder of my life. I was diagnosed in March after extensive surgery. I’m being Medically Boarded (MEB) out of the Air Force.

Zach2123

Registered Member
What branch? What’s SRU? I have Crohn’s as well. I was receiving infusions every 8 weeks but now it’s every 4 weeks for the remainder of my life. I was diagnosed in March after extensive surgery. I’m being Medically Boarded (MEB) out of the Air Force.
Army, its soldier recovery unit. It was warrior transition unit. They changed it, that's where I'm going. I start my infusions next week then I have another one two weeks after that then 4 weeks then 6 weeks then 8 weeks and its every 8 weeks until the rest of my life as well. The Army wants to evaluate me for a year to see if I can return to duty but if not I will start the MEB process as well. I was diagnosed last month I've been through 6 surgeries so far since March and I have more to come.

CrimsonChin414

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Army, its soldier recovery unit. It was warrior transition unit. They changed it, that's where I'm going. I start my infusions next week then I have another one two weeks after that then 4 weeks then 6 weeks then 8 weeks and its every 8 weeks until the rest of my life as well. The Army wants to evaluate me for a year to see if I can return to duty but if not I will start the MEB process as well. I was diagnosed last month I've been through 6 surgeries so far since March and I have more to come.
Okay, thanks for the clarity as I’m Air Force. Currently my infusions are every 4 weeks but that’s exactly how I started my infusions (renflexis, iron infusions and oral medications) when I was diagnosed in the beginning of 2021, but I was dealing with symptoms throughout 2020. I never heard or knew of Crohn’s disease in my life so I was battling my symptoms secretly, but they only worsened. I’ve had 1 massive surgery (2021) thus far due to fissures, fistulas, Perianal abscess, ulcers, hemorrhoids and other Crohn’s related excruciating symptoms. Post surgery, I still deal with a multitude of symptoms as this is a lifelong chronic condition.

I hope your condition with this disease gets well soon as it is a lifelong process. I hope that you’ll be able to take a break from the surgeries and properly heal/recover. I know it’s easier said than done.

The best advice I can give you at this moment is to be honest of your condition when your doctor ask about your symptoms because those are your actual health statements, don’t worry about your military career as your health comes first (I had to learn this the hard way) and it’s associated symptoms and ask for medical assistance when needed (I also learned this the hard way).

Lastly, I really don’t understand why they are watching you for a year before they decide if you’ll need to start a MEB or not after considering everything you’ve been through thus far, but I guess there are pro’s and con’s to this process.

Zach2123

Registered Member
Okay, thanks for the clarity as I’m Air Force. Currently my infusions are every 4 weeks but that’s exactly how I started my infusions (renflexis, iron infusions and oral medications) when I was diagnosed in the beginning of 2021, but I was dealing with symptoms throughout 2020. I never heard or knew of Crohn’s disease in my life so I was battling my symptoms secretly, but they only worsened. I’ve had 1 massive surgery (2021) thus far due to fissures, fistulas, Perianal abscess, ulcers, hemorrhoids and other Crohn’s related excruciating symptoms. Post surgery, I still deal with a multitude of symptoms as this is a lifelong chronic condition.

I hope your condition with this disease gets well soon as it is a lifelong process. I hope that you’ll be able to take a break from the surgeries and properly heal/recover. I know it’s easier said than done.

The best advice I can give you at this moment is to be honest of your condition when your doctor ask about your symptoms because those are your actual health statements, don’t worry about your military career as your health comes first (I had to learn this the hard way) and it’s associated symptoms and ask for medical assistance when needed (I also learned this the hard way).

Lastly, I really don’t understand why they are watching you for a year before they decide if you’ll need to start a MEB or not after considering everything you’ve been through thus far, but I guess there are pro’s and con’s to this process.
I've started the same thing medication, other than my infusions which start on Monday. I'm a little nervous to start them as I've never had them. The reason they want to evaluate me for a year is bc I'm stationed in Germany atm and they want to get me back stateside to treat this, because for me to get my infusions I have to drive 4 and half hours away to get them and its just insane to drive that far constantly. I have been dealing with the same issues with the fissures and all that as well. I have finally gotten everything taken care of besides the fistula which will happen when I get back tot he states, hopefully.

I hope your condition gets better as well, thank you for answering my thread. It's great to know we aren't in this alone. I know everyone is different but at least we can relate a little bit to what we are going through. I have never heard of Crohn's Disease either until I got it. I didn't even know I could get it this young. I'm only 28 and I have to go through the rest of my life dealing with this. TBH, I just want out the military because they don't care or understand what I'm going through.

I have no idea why they are watching me either, the GI doctor told me that I can't be in the military with Crohn's Disease as bad as it I have it right now, then he says but we are going to evaluate me for a year to see if it gets under control. If it does then you can stay in IF you want to or start the MEB process. I asked him why can't I just start the MEB process while I'm being evaluated because the process takes like 18 months. Maybe its just the Army. Its different in each branch probably.

Lastly, Keep writing if you need any personal info we can chat off this website and keep in touch with how each others doing. I wish nothing but the best for you, and hope you recover soon, and go into remission and have a healthy life.

CrimsonChin414

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I've started the same thing medication, other than my infusions which start on Monday. I'm a little nervous to start them as I've never had them. The reason they want to evaluate me for a year is bc I'm stationed in Germany atm and they want to get me back stateside to treat this, because for me to get my infusions I have to drive 4 and half hours away to get them and its just insane to drive that far constantly. I have been dealing with the same issues with the fissures and all that as well. I have finally gotten everything taken care of besides the fistula which will happen when I get back tot he states, hopefully.

I hope your condition gets better as well, thank you for answering my thread. It's great to know we aren't in this alone. I know everyone is different but at least we can relate a little bit to what we are going through. I have never heard of Crohn's Disease either until I got it. I didn't even know I could get it this young. I'm only 28 and I have to go through the rest of my life dealing with this. TBH, I just want out the military because they don't care or understand what I'm going through.

I have no idea why they are watching me either, the GI doctor told me that I can't be in the military with Crohn's Disease as bad as it I have it right now, then he says but we are going to evaluate me for a year to see if it gets under control. If it does then you can stay in IF you want to or start the MEB process. I asked him why can't I just start the MEB process while I'm being evaluated because the process takes like 18 months. Maybe its just the Army. Its different in each branch probably.

Lastly, Keep writing if you need any personal info we can chat off this website and keep in touch with how each others doing. I wish nothing but the best for you, and hope you recover soon, and go into remission and have a healthy life.
I hate we have this lifelong chronic disease but I agree, I’m glad to know we aren’t alone with this. I left you my contact info. Reach out anytime!

Cbick

Registered Member
Zach - I have a rare acquired autoimmune disease and am assigned to a Soldier Recovery Unit at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, please hit me point-to-point. I am happy to answer any and all questions you have.