What is the right move?

kb1991

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My high 3 year is $5600
All ratings I list are backed strongly with medical records, and all diagnosed during service.

I have been diagnosed with PTSD that fits pretty clearly with the 70% rating. I am AD. I also have anxiety, and MDD. I have GERD that meets the 30% criteria and IBS that fits clearly in the 30% range. right and left shoulder limited ROM w/pain which would be 10% each w/ bilateral. I also have injury based scoliosis that would qualify at 20%.

If I am MEB'd my PTSD "should" be found unfit, my IBS would be on the fence, but likely would be as well. This gives me an 80% rating (only 75% would apply), for a total of $4200 a month. My VA added up ends up being 100% = $3057, which means I would waive that much of my mil retirement, and receive it as VA disability, and get a residual check of $1143 est. taxes at 15% = $971

3057+971 = $4028

My docs are currently doing all they can to avoid giving me a MEB. My commander (col) has violated HIPPA attempting to sway and push around the Captain GP. Needless to say, I am looking at an uphill battle at them initiating a MEB. My ADSC ends Dec this year, from what I gather the VA pre-discharge program can be applied for starting 6 months from discharge.

A couple of questions. At the 6 month mark from my ADSC end.

QUESTIONS
1. Can I pursue the pre-discharge program?
2. If I pursue the pre-discharge program will it effect rather I am MEB'd or not?
3. Worst case scenario, if they won't give me an MEB, can I do the pre-discharge program and then after I get out, contest a records change to go for a med discharge using the VA ratings & that while in service I was under conditions that my PTSD clearly fits the criteria that makes me unfit for duty (requires antipsychotics to control)
4. Just want to be sure that going for the pre-discharge program doesn't come with consequences that I no longer can be MEB'd or it will convince my docs to just hold off of the MEB knowing I'm getting out ruining the chance I can get a MEB and have a medical retirement. It's the difference of $1000 a month and Tricare for life.

1. Yea
2. No but you can start 90 days out that's the latest I would wait to see if they will initiate an MEB.
3. This is a very long process but yes your performance evals and end of service award could possibly play a role in their decision. I would push for the MEB while your still in. I would strongly advise getting a copy of your medical records NOW and see what is being written in them to avoid the MEB and correct it with the docs.
4. I understand I would file September 1st you still have some time don't tell them what your planning and get a copy of your medical records. If you have to pursue it post service it's okay PTSD cases probably get the most relief from the board its just a really long process (1-2 years).

1. Yea
2. No but you can start 90 days out that's the latest I would wait to see if they will initiate an MEB.
3. This is a very long process but yes your performance evals and end of service award could possibly play a role in their decision. I would push for the MEB while your still in. I would strongly advise getting a copy of your medical records NOW and see what is being written in them to avoid the MEB and correct it with the docs.
4. I understand I would file September 1st you still have some time don't tell them what your planning and get a copy of your medical records. If you have to pursue it post service it's okay PTSD cases probably get the most relief from the board its just a really long process (1-2 years).

My performance evals thus far have been great to include my last OPR having majority of wartime bullets and CGOQ for the GP. Are you saying this would hurt me? My OPR just closed, I could use all the deployment stuff in it to mask the fact I've been a shit hot mess since I returned. My next OPR is going to be atrocious, but isnt until May of next year. So are you saying a good or bad OPR will help or hurt me in trying to get them to make a decision... and who is this person making a decision?

Second, if I have to pursue it post service, what would that look like?

Third, copy on getting a copy of my records, will be doing that ASAP. My current therapist is willing to help write what ever narrative I need to put in my records.... I've seen the mental health rating criteria and have been trying to get verbiage indicative of 70% because i feel that's most accurate to my condition. Is it suspicious are alarming if I ask to use direct language or stick to more very close examples.
4th if the VA rates me 70% through the program, and I have to get my discharged changed after I'm out, will the DOD have to accept the VA 70% rating?

Once you get a MEB initiated it goes before your nearest medical board (could be your base or nearby base usually a large installation) to determine if you are fit or unfit for continued service. The board gives your performance evals and the commanders statement weight in making that determination. Some commands just allow either the service member/first line supervisor/platoon/company/battalion etc to write it out and they sign it others not so much. The board can sometimes take a position that if your disabilities are as severe as you report it should be clearly seen in the evals or commanders statement. If they all sound good and the commander says your a star they can determine that your disabilities do not affect your performance and return a fit finding that is NOT appealable.

Post service I would retain legal counsel many out there will do this for you pro bono nvlsp is one organization that is known as well as local law schools in your area.

Nothing wrong about the wording but the VA will send you to a C&P exam who will make their own determination using a form called a DBQ familiarize yourself with this form this is what the examiner will be using that will determine your rating. I posted it below

No they won't just about every post service discharge that gets upgraded from honorable discharge to retirement is 30%.

Scroll down to psychological PTSD.

Once you get a MEB initiated it goes before your nearest medical board (could be your base or nearby base usually a large installation) to determine if you are fit or unfit for continued service. The board gives your performance evals and the commanders statement weight in making that determination. Some commands just allow either the service member/first line supervisor/platoon/company/battalion etc to write it out and they sign it others not so much. The board can sometimes take a position that if your disabilities are as severe as you report it should be clearly seen in the evals or commanders statement. If they all sound good and the commander says your a star they can determine that your disabilities do not affect your performance and return a fit finding that is NOT appealable.

Post service I would retain legal counsel many out there will do this for you pro bono nvlsp is one organization that is known as well as local law schools in your area.

Nothing wrong about the wording but the VA will send you to a C&P exam who will make their own determination using a form called a DBQ familiarize yourself with this form this is what the examiner will be using that will determine your rating. I posted it below

No they won't just about every post service discharge that gets upgraded from honorable discharge to retirement is 30%.

Scroll down to psychological PTSD.

Is the post discharge change able to be challenged and upgraded?

Is the post discharge change able to be challenged and upgraded?
And also, if it was given a 30%, then also said to be combat related, what would my final pay be if my high year 3 year is 5600 and I've got 6 yrs?

And also, if it was given a 30%, then also said to be combat related, what would my final pay be if my high year 3 year is 5600 and I've got 6 yrs?
Gross figures:

If 30% DoD, 5600 x 0.30= 1680
OR
LOS (years of AD x 0.025) = multiplier x 5600= retired pay using longevity portion of retirement
Example: 6 years AD x 0.025 = 15%
5600 x 0.15 = 840

You will receive the higher.

Retired pay will be reduced by amount of VA comp

Ron

Fight for a MEB. If you let them force you out you’ll lose money.

Fight for a MEB. If you let them force you out you’ll lose money.
If I only knew how to fight per se. After my partial inpatient for 3 weeks I return to work... then what? What things in inpatient do I want to be sure not to hold back on? At work I am very good at avoiding and disappearing, leaving people asking where I am more than anything... I have shame in my symptoms so I try to keep people from seeing them. What do I do more to get a MEB?

Your PCM has to initiate it there is no way around that why exactly is your doctor saying no? More treatment options? Disagreement over severity? How do you know your CoC is pressuring the doc? You need something conclusive to run it up the medical chain of command but hearsay, hunches, and suppositions won't help you.

I had to turn in a paper to my CC, who's also the Gp CC. Her door was open for all of the world to hear. I over heard 2 key things "I've seen airmen who want out before but never and officer, I don't even know how to handle this" to a 1 star. She also told him that it was funny to her that I told her I was "ordered" to the inpatient facility, but she called my doc and the doc said I was only recommended (confirming she is calling my docs and verifying everything I say) which, I have TEXT PROOF that I only said I was recommended not ordered. So she straight lied to the 1 star. I never stated I wanted to kill myself so it wasn't mando, but my full meltdown warranted them telling me they highly suggest I get assessed and they would be calling ahead. On top of that, my psychiatrist (military) who is in close contact with the PCM said my PCM is young and easily pushed around by commanders. I just checked ASIMS and I don't even have a profile, I'm literally WWD WHILE IN A PARTIAL INPATIENT PROGRAM. I called EO, IG, and ADC about her talking about my medical stuff open door and each organization pointed to each other organization. I called the med Gp and they said the commanders got privileged info and that isn't HIPPA, its FOUO. *pops 3 mg klonepin to stay rational*