What is travel allowance when medically separating in POV?

soldieradvocate

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I know it is a $142 per diem allowance when traveling with personally owned vehicle for hotel and meals. However, do they pay extra for spouse also. It refers to a 75% additional amount for each dependent. I'm assuming this would be an additional $106.50. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

Hello,

As mentioned earlier this month...

DD 1351-2 is the claim form.

PCS Entitlements for Separating or Retiring Military Service Members (items are links)

Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation (MALT) <---LINK
Plus (Per Diem) <----LINK
Dependent Travel <---LINK
Personally Procured Moves (PPM) <---LINK
Advance Payments <---LINK

Per Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), we cannot process your travel voucher until the date you are placed on the retirement list or the discharge date on your military orders.

Form Completion

Make sure your claim is complete and correct before you send it in! If you include a valid e-mail address in box 6e of your DD1351-2, we will send you updates. Don’t forget to keep a copy of your submission.

Follow these tips (includes links):

1. Use SmartVoucher – This guides you step-by-step through a series of questions and upon completion, it will generate a completed DD Form 1351-2 travel voucher.
  2. Follow the How to Complete the DD1351-2 Guide
  3. Use the Military Permanent Change of Station or Separating/ Retiring from the Military checklist to make sure you complete all the required information.
  4. Review your specific entitlement under the "PCS Entitlements" above.

Link here to access all the necessary forms for your Military PCS <---LINK

ATTENTION customers submitting casualty PCS travel vouchers:

Submit your travel voucher packages to [email protected]

or mail to:
DFAS-IN/Casualty Travel (JFA)
8899 E. 56th St.
Indianapolis, IN 46249
----------
Ron
cc: @chaplaincharlie

Last edited:
I have the same question. I am clearing this week, hopefully Tues. and I can ask this question to Finance as I clear. I have the exact same question. I will return and report.

I have the same question. I am clearing this week, hopefully Tues. and I can ask this question to Finance as I clear. I have the exact same question. I will return and report.
Thanks, looking forward to what you find out. Also,wondering if need to save all receipts while traveling. Do you automatically get the $142 daily or only the exact amount you incur in expenses.

Dependent travel.

Accompanied by Service Member
Service members are authorized dependent PCS travel and transportation allowances when completing a PCS move including:

• Transportation-in-kind plus per diem
  • Reimbursement for common carrier transportation procured at personal expense plus per diem
  • MALT for POC Travel, plus per diem for the required travel days between authorized points.
  • Note: MALT is used as mileage reimbursement for service members and their dependents during a PCS move. When a member and dependents relocate on a service member’s PCS move, MALT reimbursement is authorized for two POCs, if used. MALT is paid on a per mile basis for the official distance of each portion of the travel. The MALT Rate per authorized POC is $.20/mile for PCS travel beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2019.
Not Accompanied by Service Member

If the dependents moved to the new duty station and were not accompanied by the service member, a separate DD 1351-2 must be submitted for the dependents’ period of travel. When submitting a separate DD 1351-2, be sure to include all lodging receipts (regardless of amount) and receipts for any reimbursable expense exceeding $75.

Per Diem Allowances:

Per diem for the
dependent traveling with Service Member:

• 75% of the member’s per diem rate for each dependent age 12 or older;
  • and 50% of the member’s per diem rate for each dependent under age 12.
Per diem for the dependent traveling separately

• One Dependent Traveling Separately. The dependent is authorized the same per diem rate the member would have been authorized for travel (100% per diem).
  • Two or More Dependents Traveling Separately. When two or more dependents travel together but separate from the member, the member is authorized per diem at a rate of:
    • 100% for one dependent, age 12 or older; and
    • 75% for each of the other dependents, age 12 or older, traveling with that dependent; and
    • 50% for each dependent under age 12, traveling with that dependent.

Dependent travel.

Accompanied by Service Member
Service members are authorized dependent PCS travel and transportation allowances when completing a PCS move including:

• Transportation-in-kind plus per diem
  • Reimbursement for common carrier transportation procured at personal expense plus per diem
  • MALT for POC Travel, plus per diem for the required travel days between authorized points.
  • Note: MALT is used as mileage reimbursement for service members and their dependents during a PCS move. When a member and dependents relocate on a service member’s PCS move, MALT reimbursement is authorized for two POCs, if used. MALT is paid on a per mile basis for the official distance of each portion of the travel. The MALT Rate per authorized POC is $.20/mile for PCS travel beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2019.
Not Accompanied by Service Member

If the dependents moved to the new duty station and were not accompanied by the service member, a separate DD 1351-2 must be submitted for the dependents’ period of travel. When submitting a separate DD 1351-2, be sure to include all lodging receipts (regardless of amount) and receipts for any reimbursable expense exceeding $75.

Per Diem Allowances:

Per diem for the
dependent traveling with Service Member:

• 75% of the member’s per diem rate for each dependent age 12 or older;
  • and 50% of the member’s per diem rate for each dependent under age 12.
Per diem for the dependent traveling separately

• One Dependent Traveling Separately. The dependent is authorized the same per diem rate the member would have been authorized for travel (100% per diem).
  • Two or More Dependents Traveling Separately. When two or more dependents travel together but separate from the member, the member is authorized per diem at a rate of:
    • 75% for each of the other dependents, age 12 or older, traveling with that dependent; and
    • 50% for each dependent under age 12, traveling with that dependent.
Thank you!

Hello soldieradvocate,

You are welcome...

The info I posted came directly from the references I cited earlier in this thread.

You probably saw: "...and receipts for any reimbursable expense exceeding $75."

I think it was $25 when I computed travel claims 40-50 years ago or so.

Dependents include the spouse. So...if traveling separately, "
  • 50% for each dependent under age 12, traveling with that dependent." The one dependent @ 100% would be the spouse in most cases.

Ron

Well I just got out of my finance brief and I got a little different information. oh well. My wife and I will be reimbursed at a rate of 120$/day. We get .17, not .20 cents per mile (per POV). For our dependents, we got 75% of our amount (both are over 12).

My question, and I forgot to ask them, is how many days am I authorized? Our trip is just over 1200 miles, and I think the max or recommended max is 350 miles a day. So, that takes us to exactly 3.5 days. Does this round up to four? Or do I have to squeeze our trip in 3 days. Anyone know?