What should I do?

Michael Hassell

PEB Forum Regular Member
I have been in the Air Gaurd for 24 years. Last march (2010) I came in for some active duity days ( Title 32) to back fill for some of the guys deployed. While walking into the shop in the dark I fell into a open manhole and tore the meniscus in my left knee. I was put on a L.O.D. and told I have to be treated by military doctors only. Now 1 year later I have had two surgeries to try and fix my left knee and while doing rehab in phyical therapy the meniscus in my right knee was torn (also on a L. O. D.) Now yesterday 12 weeks out of my second surgery on my left knee and still in a lot of pain I had a MRI and meet with doctor, he informed me that they would need to go back in my left knee and (clean up) the meniscus again. I do not want my right knee to get to the point where my left knee is now so I am asking about a M. E. B. I am told by some members in the unit that a knee is a automatic 10% and unless you get at least 30% you don't collect anything? Is this true? Mike

30 percent or higher equals retirement ( tricare eligibility for you and your family, blue I d card, access to the px, commissary, and etc all for the rest of your life. Under 30 percent equals severance pay ( a one time lump sum cash).

Thank You for that info on the 30% entitlements. Is it a set 10% per knee rating or is the info I am getting not correct? Mike

Thank You for that info on the 30% entitlements. Is it a set 10% per knee rating or is the info I am getting not correct? Mike

No, that is not a set rating. It depends mainly on your ROM or stability/instability of the knee. Look at the VASRD under the musculoskeletal ratings for the various ratings.

LOD will give you health care for the parts/conditions that are covered by the LOD.