What to do, my commander behaved really unprofessional?

Tenji

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I just got told today by an oral surgeon that I am going through surgery for my TMD as a last resort. The doctor gave me a momo as well stating I am undergoing surgery. When my platoon sergeant brought it up to the commander, he started using F word and said, 'why the F** is he having surgery after surgery?" I did have a hip injection two months ago for a hip injury. He seemed pissed because I have been through many treatments. I felt that he was very unprofessional. I, myself, am a sergeant. My surgery is supposed to happen in a week but when the memo was brought up to him, he got pissed and didn't approve me to get the treatment. How can I resolve this problem? This is really bothering me.

If the surgery is turned off by command, I would talk to the IG.

Typically they can't get away with this unless you are about to PCS or ETS and even then I would escalate it to get it approved.

Please go to patient advocate at MTF which is usually located at the hospital or IG. Do not sit on this...soldiers have patient rights .....

Your commander has the right to deny your surgery, that’s the bottom line. The same authority that allows him to waive non-deployability conditions, is the same one that allows him to block medical treatments.

Sure you can go to IG, but they’ll tell you the same thing and you’ll end up pissing off your command even more.

What you should do, is ask to speak with him, and discuss the surgery, your recovery, and any effects it will have on the command.

You’re a sergeant so presumably you’re in charge of some Soldiers. Any leader will have concern when their subordinate leaders are unable to perform their job for extended periods of time.

Hi Tenji, Please save your fight for healing and seek guidance from a patient advocate, or Ombudsman ( the hospital/MTF ). Let the oral surgeon or surgeon know you are getting pushback from CoC and you need a letter or note indicating the necessity of treatment, surgery, and care.
The MTF or dental clinic, should know who the ombudsman and or patient advocates are. Usually, If the surgery is medically necessary to improve quality of life and to prevent suffering it is approved. Please have the medical provider note the necessity or need for treatment within your medical records and then provide a copy of that medical note to your Commander.