What was your rating/findings for MS?

theoot

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Just asking anyone who has gotten a rating back to post what the rating was, and if you were found fit or unfit. The local Jag is telling me there is a possibility I may be found fit even though I have MS, just because my command says I do a good job sitting at a desk in the air conditioning. Mind you my rated job is as a engineroom mechanic working in temperatures >100f.

im on my final appeal to the SEC AF and my last two boards have been 30%. i keep being found un fit to do duty, even tho i only had a mild flare up and no SX sence being on RX. my lawer at the Formal med board thought i had a real good shot on stayin in, but board members didnt think so. the problem is being drug dependent and non deployable. not very usefull in the eyes of the millitary.

I was medically retired with MS at 30%. I took my case all the way through a SAFPC appeal. My lawyer at the formal board rocked it but they still said unfit. I was in the same situation johndoe is in. Plan for retirement... I think it would be a long shot to be found fit right now. You are non-deployable, must be stationed CONUS only unless special approval is given and that makes you pretty much useless to DoD. If you haven't finished your degree, start taking classes now whille DoD pays and use the GI bill to finish. My appeal to SECAF took 10 months. Just remember, If USAF retires you they will want to do so at the lowest percentage possible so if you are fighting to go make it good.

Actually I hoping for unfit because if found fit they would admin sep me. I have recommendations from my command to be placed on perm Limdu to reach 20, but based on budget cuts, who knows what will happen.

I'm in the same boat... JAG says they'll find me fit (although I want unfit at this point) because the command thinks I'm great. I'm an ET, so on the ship I have AC most of the time. My package was submitted to the board today...

Theoot... what did the board find? Just wondering... This process sucks...

Still waiting. My PEB was sent in August, and I don't even have a fit or unfit rating at this point. I know of two people who were processed under the Legacy system who were both given 50% TDRL, but neither had as much time in as I do, nor were there symptoms as severe. My lesions are on my spinal cord so I am having more issues as a result.

I'm sorry to hear that. I guess I've been submitted in the new system... They'll have something back to me by Nov 26. (45 calendar day maximum by law). If there's no response I'll be unfit...

My issues are still in the brain but massed on my optic nerve... I have all kinds of vision problems. I'll probably be disqualified for my rate because of that alone...

Yea I'm in the new system to. The 45 day thing isn't law, it's a goal and they are way behind.

Did they tell you they were behind? I'm just wondering because the PEBLO and JAG said that after 45 calander days I would be "unfit" and the VA would get the package for rating. They also said that I would know I was "unfit" if I didn't hear anything after 45 days.

Were you told the same thing?

Well mine is 63 days from the conformation message of acceptance, and I'm still listed as pending. Truth be told I have never heard anyone being found fit with diagnosed MS. I'm not pushing the issue as each day gets me closer to 20. Plus I feel as the work I'm doing is really worthwhile. Oddly enough I'm working with getting LIMDU's through the system, ensuring they don't get screwed or sit in limbo forever. The one thing I have noticed though is the PEB is as unpredictable as can be when it comes to time frames.

How do you find out your board status? Is that something for the PEBLO to do? I was just submitted, but I'd like to check sometime nearing the 45 day mark to see what's happened.

Where are you doing your board through? I'm going through Portsmouth, VA.

I hope the shipmates you're helping are grateful for the assistance. I know I would be since I know nothing about any of these medical processes. Until my MS started, I never went to medical unless they forced me to get another vaccine...

You can call your PEBLO and request a screening number to see where you are on the list in DC. That will let you know if they have even seen your package. I went through NAS Jax, but once it's sent they all go to DC as far as the Navy goes.

im on some other web site and a few guys just posted recently that they were able to stay in AD AF. now one guy is a Physicain Asst, and is in a criticaly maned field, so he was able to stay, the other did not say what his AFSC (MOS) was. that was all the way at the SEC of the AF level, same place where my appeal is at. their time line was about 18mo from first Dx. i have been wating on 12mo, so im figuring i have about 6mo left...

Regaurdless of your what caused the unfit finding, there is the option to request perm. LIMDU. It is approved to meet service needs, meet the end of an enlistment, or reach 20 years. It is however very rare. The Navy currently has 31 people on it. So it is possible to stay in, but very unlikely.

Theoot... any word on your package?

I have been trying to get some answers from my PEBLO, but "they don't have a status" is the only answer I can get. They're certain that there is a 45 day limit for findings on an IPEB, but I can't find any timeframes for a IPEB, just a "reccomended" 45 days for a FPEB. Any insight on the process or somewhere where it says a "real" timeframe?

I'm hopeful that I'll have an answer by the Monday after Thanksgiving (just over 45 days), but my feeling is that it'll be next year before they get an answer.

Thanks!

I got my IPEB ratings on Friday. 87 days from acceptance to findings. I was rated 30% by the Navy and 80% by the VA. I don't know the break down yet as I'm going to review everything this morning. I'm so close to 18 years though, so it's a bitter sweet feeling. I'm glad to have the findings, but I really would like to finish out my last two years. I did all my sea time, and I'm supposed to be on shore duty anyway. I plan on asking for PLD but with so few people approved I don't know how it will work.

That really sucks in your case. If you can still do the job you're "assigned" to do, you should be able to do the PLD, but with the low odds of getting that through, it'd be a gamble at best.

Your command also made you look good on paper, so that really means I have a very low chance of staying in. I have mostly vision problems, and as an ET(Surface) I'm doubting they'll let me stay.

Please let me know the breakdown as it applies to the MS and symptoms if you're comfortable in doing so. I'm interested to see what the VA says... the Navy probably only looked at the MS and gave you the rating from the VASRD.

I just read that they're reccomending TDRL... that doesn't make a whole lot of sense... MS doesn't just go away...

My break down was the 30% for MS from the Navy. What I don't get is I have multiple rated conditions by the VA that are specifically called out as caused by the MS. Wouldn't this mean the MS rating should be higher due to residuals?

My other ratings are
50% Sleep aphnea caused by MS
30% MS
10% Knee DJD
10% Lumbar DJD
10% Demintia caused by MS
10% Ankle DJD and Talor fusion
0% Cervical spine DJD

The thing that gets me is the TDRL. I don't agree with the rating by the Navy either specifically due to the residuals, but it seems that the TDRL might be to blame. If you get tested in 2 years or so and the sleep aphnea and Demintia is "gone" then they Navy only owes you 30% with no residuals. It makes no sense as MS doesn't just "go away" so how can it be TDRL...

I'm puzzled. What's the JAG have to say about it?

Any new news on MS case, ratings,fit or not or even a time line. My peblo told me my package was sent to the VA. Any help would br great. thanks