When do I sign NARSUM

howardrigger

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Ok I have a question that maybe you guys can help me out with. I finally talked to my peblo today and was asking her when do I sign my narsum. She stated after the MEB findings come back. I have seen the draft from the doctor and he stated that I would see my peblo in a week. Can someone tell me if I see the final narsum after the MEB is what my peblo is stating to me. I thought I see it before it goes to the board to be found fit or unfit. please help me out so I know if it is going in the right direction. I have been in the IDES system since May 4th 2016 so I have been in a while to not know really anything.

You do see it. The MEB sends you the Narsum. They determine if you meet retention standards by regulation, you sign and it goes to the PEB and they determine fit or unfit. The PEB decides that if you fail to meet retention whether or not can you still do your job anyway (fit/unfit).

So depending on your branch of service it might be different. In the Army from what I have experinced you go to your VA C&P appointments. After that a medical board conveigns and then a NARSUM is generated. The medical board will determine if you will have additional conditions added to your NARSUM for the Informal Physical Evaluation Board (IPEB) to review. For me it was VA C&P, Med Board, NARSUM, then I submitted an IMR (Independent Medical Review) had another condition added to my NARSUM, IPEB, VA, then back to the PEBLO for them to discuss the DOD and VA proposed ratings.
Hope this helps.

I have completed my VA C&P exams and seen the provider to go over NARSUM. I am trying to figure out if my narsum has been to MEB yet my peblo just told me it was just the draft and it still needed to go to MEB. That is the part that is confusing me I guess. I will be waiting I guess to see what the next step in cause on my IDES dashboard I am behind and states I should be in the PEB phase.

So it should be after the C&P exams. Your PCM should then get the results from the PEBLO. They then use these results to write the NARSUM. Once the NARSUM is written it will be seen by the MEB (Local medical professionals) who in turn review it and your case and make a recommendation to the IPEB on weather to RTD or Do not meet standards. At this point the IPEB will review and make the Fit/Unift decision. If you can still preform your duties you could be found fit and then the whole process ends with them sending it back to the local PEBLO with recommendation. If you are unfit they then send to the VA. VA will rate ALL conditions and send back to PEB. PEB will the copy ratings (Only for unfitting conditions) and apply them to the DOD side and this is the % the will determine separation vs retirement.

So it should be after the C&P exams. Your PCM should then get the results from the PEBLO. They then use these results to write the NARSUM. Once the NARSUM is written it will be seen by the MEB (Local medical professionals) who in turn review it and your case and make a recommendation to the IPEB on weather to RTD or Do not meet standards. At this point the IPEB will review and make the Fit/Unift decision. If you can still preform your duties you could be found fit and then the whole process ends with them sending it back to the local PEBLO with recommendation. If you are unfit they then send to the VA. VA will rate ALL conditions and send back to PEB. PEB will the copy ratings (Only for unfitting conditions) and apply them to the DOD side and this is the % the will determine separation vs retirement.

So mine just came back referred to MEB. Once this happens the original NARSUM gets sent to the IPEB for the only unfitting conditions which were both PSych. related. Then I guess the other issues that were on the NARSUM go to C&P Exams? My back was on the NARSUM and is in really bad shape really bad shows up on the MRI's really bad shape. Is that what the C&P Exams are for then? For the VA which are not jsut the unfitting conditions but the whole picture then?

What ever was sent by your provider and PEBLO to the MEB as unfitting/category one will be what counts for the DOD side. But it all goes to the VA. So on the list of conditions on you E-Benefits claim it should say something like

Shoulder (MEB), Back (MEB), hearing loss.

if you notice, in this example the first two say (MEB) after them. These are your MEB refered conditions and should be the ones that are most likely unfit.

You do see it. The MEB sends you the Narsum. They determine if you meet retention standards by regulation, you sign and it goes to the PEB and they determine fit or unfit. The PEB decides that if you fail to meet retention whether or not can you still do your job anyway (fit/unfit).
Please let us know how your FPEB goes tomorrow.

Please let us know how your FPEB goes tomorrow.
I am still in the I-PEB phase and getting my formal brief next week. So the unfitting are DoD side and what ever else I have is on the VA side then, like my back and other issues?