script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

When do spouses of non-retired veterans rate tricare

JH75

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Can anyone speak to a question one of my Marines that got out a year ago asked me?

He go out honorably after 6 years. Just got set up with VA for his own medical but was told by VA his spouse could not enroll in tricare.
He is 40% VA rated. What are ways that he can achieve getting his spouse covered under either tricare or through the VA?

any help or guidance is appreciated as always!

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Can anyone speak to a question one of my Marines that got out a year ago asked me?

He go out honorably after 6 years. Just got set up with VA for his own medical but was told by VA his spouse could not enroll in tricare.
He is 40% VA rated. What are ways that he can achieve getting his spouse covered under either tricare or through the VA?

any help or guidance is appreciated as always!
If the Marine was medically retired (i.e., DoD rating 30% or more) under Chapter 61, his spouse is eligible for Tricare coverage. If he did not retire, separated instead, neither he or his spouse are eligible for Tricare.

VA Healthcare for family members:
Reference: Family Members -- VA, Affordable Care Act and You <---LINK

The Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA), is a health care benefits program that provides coverage to the spouse or widow(er) and to the dependent children of a qualifying Veteran or Servicemember who:
  • is rated permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability, or
  • was rated permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected condition at the time of death, or
  • died of a service-connected disability, or
  • died on active duty, and
  • has dependents who are not eligible for Department of Defense TRICARE benefits.

In addition, primary caregivers of OEF/OIF Veterans may be eligible to receive CHAMPVA coverage if they are not already entitled to care or services under a health plan contract, including Medicare, Medicaid or workers compensation.

Under CHAMPVA, VA shares the cost of covered health care services and supplies with eligible beneficiaries.

Ron