When do you get retirement if reserve?

oceantrav

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Did a few years active, currently Guard.

Just got my DA199 back and signed it. Was given 100% DOD.

Thought I would be eligible to draw it immidiatly even though I’m 32 years of age. So should be getting 75% of my base.

In another post people are saying something about since I’m reserve I can’t get it till I’m 60...what’s that about...assuming they aren’t incorrect right?

If you are 100% DoD and 100% VA, your DoD retirement begins the day after you are medically retired.

75% of your average of high three base pay is what you will be getting.

This medical retirement will be offset by your VA C&P award (at 100% is is about $3000 tax free, depends on how many dependents you have and if any special medical compensation comes into play). This $3000 will be subtracted from your medical retirement (it is called the VA offset). After this subtraction you will get the remainder (if any) which may be taxable.

If you have any conditions that are combat related, you can apply for CRSC, and if granted it may restore some or all of your VA offset to your medical retirement.

Quick run down on my situation.

3 years active, 12 Guard. Rated 100% va for ptsd, not permenent. I expect this to be reduced in the future since I work. I got 100% DOD PDRL last week, all market combat etc. I’m an E5. Think 75% of my Base was about $2500.

Here’s how I thought it would work. Thought I’d keep geting my VA 100%. Then get CRSC which would be 3x.025x2500 for about $200-300 extra a month.

Main question was, if my va gets reduced from 100% to say 50% which is like $1300 a month. Would I then be able to get the $2500 from the army (75% of base). This is how i thought it all worked. But then I got a few people telling me it’s different since I’m reserve and I wouldn’t get anything till I’m 60...

1. Your VA rating can be reduced as you stated, but not because you work; it could be reduced due to improvement of your condition. IU is the award that could be reduced due to employment.

2. I just noticed a post about reserve retirement (which is accurate of course) so I have nothing to say about that except to echo, "People are wrong."

3. Regarding, "f my va gets reduced from 100% to say 50% which is like $1300 a month. Would I then be able to get the $2500 from the army (75% of base)." You must waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. A lessening of VA comp results in less VA offset. CRSC, as was stated, can replace some or all of the waived retired pay. Based on the info you presented, you have probably hit a celling at the amount that was cited. If the CRSC approved by your service (rate and amount will mirror amounts in VA compensation tables) is less than the length of service amount then that would be the CRSC payable--reduced by any residual retired pay after VA offset. (Same concept applies to CRSC based on LOS...reduced for residual retired pay).

hello all, I am getting conflicting info, so I hope someone can help.

I am a retired Army Reserve servicemember (26+ yrs) and am currently getting VA pay at 90% and received a PDRL DOD Disabilty retirement pay at 50% in 2013. SO currently, I am receiving VA Pay and DOD offset pay because my DOD Disability Pay is much higher than my VA Pay. The numbers are: VA pay: $1,942 DOD: $3,987..... OFFSET: $3,987 - $1,942 = $2,045. So DFAS sends me $2,045 and VA sends the entire $1,942 for a total $3,987.

If I was not getting a DOD Disability retirement, I would get the VA Pay, $1,942/mo + My Reserve Retirement (that I figured out to be about $2,219/mo) when I reach 60.

SCENARIO 1: When I reach 60, will I get my VA Pay and DOD Disabilty Pay (+ CRDP) : $1,942 + $3,987 = $5,929 OR

SCENARIO 2: When I reach 60, will I get my VA Pay and my regular Reserve Retirement pay: $1,942 + $2,219

My Question: When I reach 60, WHICH scenario will apply to me? Will I keep getting the VA pay ($1,942/mo) and DOD Disability pay I am currently getting ($3,897/mo), OR, will I start getting the VA Pay ($1,942) plus my Reserve Retirement pay I will be entitled to when I reach 60 ($2,219/mo)?

Thanks for anyone who can help me clear up this confusion!!!

You
Did a few years active, currently Guard.

Just got my DA199 back and signed it. Was given 100% DOD.

Thought I would be eligible to draw it immidiatly even though I’m 32 years of age. So should be getting 75% of my base.

In another post people are saying something about since I’m reserve I can’t get it till I’m 60...what’s that about...assuming they aren’t incorrect right?

You get your DOD disability pay immediately, but, you cannot receive both. At 60, you will get both (CRDP). If your VA Pay is MORE than your DOD pay, you will forgo your DOD pay until 60. If you DOD pay is more than your VA Pay, then you subtract your VA Pay from your DOD pay and that is the amount DOD will send you. Its called the VA Offset because your VA Pay is not taxed, but your DOD pay is taxed (in certain instances, DOD pay is not taxable). hope this helps!