When does your first check for DOD and VA roll in?

kb1991

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Called DFAS and they wouldnt give me a straight answer because I'm not retired already. Finance made it seem I'm going to go 2 months or more not getting paid which seems crazy and would have me defaulting on my house.

I retire march 20th.

A few questions timeline wise.
When do I get my first DOD retirement checks?
When do I get my first VA retirement check?

Does DOD start accruing back pay from the date of retirement? Or just the first of the month following retirement?

Called DFAS and they wouldnt give me a straight answer because I'm not retired already. Finance made it seem I'm going to go 2 months or more not getting paid which seems crazy and would have me defaulting on my house.

I retire march 20th.

Does DOD start accruing back pay from the date of retirement? Or just the first of the month following retirement?

I can't answer your questions, but consider mortgage forbearance if you find you won't be able to make the payment.

Once you have retirement orders your packet with be forwarded to DFAS. DFAS claims 60-90 days, normally. I called and inquired about mine and they created a retired account on MyPay. Another 30 days and still no pay. I open a ticket under ASK MYPAY and it was escalated up the chain to a supervisor. I retired from the ARNG June 10th 2019 and receive retired pay September 20th 2019. I understand that active members receive retired pay much sooner though in most cases.

Case.

I retire march 20th.

Comments.

1. Regular retirements occur only on the first day of a month. The day preceding is the separation date and last day of active duty.
2. Disability retirements can occur on any day of a month. The day preceding is the separation date and the last day of active duty.
3. VA compensation begins to accrue on the first day of the month following the month having the effective date.
4. 20 March 2020 (I assume this is your actual retirement (not separation) date.
---You should receive a retirement check for 20-31 March (11 days of a standardized 30 day month)
---Your first full month of retired pay will be for 1-30 April, paid on/about 1 May; HOWEVER, it will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation
---Assuming your VA comp has a 20 March effective date, the first VA comp accrual will be 1-30 April and paid on/about 1 May.

When you actually receive those "accrual" payments depends on many factors...others can address those issues.

Ron

Once you have retirement orders your packet with be forwarded to DFAS. DFAS claims 60-90 days, normally. I called and inquired about mine and they created a retired account on MyPay. Another 30 days and still no pay. I open a ticket under ASK MYPAY and it was escalated up the chain to a supervisor. I retired from the ARNG June 10th 2019 and receive retired pay September 20th 2019. I understand that active members receive retired pay much sooner though in most cases.
Who forwards the packet if you don't mind me asking?

I was never in the IDES processing, but the Human Resource Command forwards retirement information to DFAS for regular retirees. I suspect the same is true for reserve/NG.

SFC H will know...

Ron

For the guard, NGB send the orders to you and DFAS simultaneously. Once you receive a Military Retiree account on MyPay, DAFS has your retirement order.