When will I be sent to a PEB?

joedoe

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was diagnosed with PTSD from MST last month and I'm not coping well. The primary reason I went to mental health was because of how my condition was impacting my duties and that has not improved. I understand they want to help me but I'm feeling like I cannot continue to handle the stress of serving and would honestly welcome a PEB at this point. Is this something I should tell my psychiatrist? How can I let them know I don't feel I can continue to serve?

jhb2582

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Having a discussion with your psychiatrist about your inability to function at work and other issues will be the first stop in my opinion. That person can place you on LIMDUE and/or recommend MEDBOARD. The results of the MEB would determine if your case will be sent to a IPEB or PEB.

Secondly, I have seen multiple psychiatrist in the past and everyone wanted to send me to a MEB, but only acted on what I agreed to. I'm stating this because, if your feeling like you can go any further they should move forward with the process.

joedoe

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So your saying i can just ask for a meb and they will take that into consideration?

faithclararose

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am on a PEB for PTSD from MST as well. I was in the same situation, being in the service makes my mental health worse. It's not always a conducive environment to healing. It would have been more beneficial to get out sooner rather than later. If you do go that route, I HIGHLY recommend doing the LDES instead of the IDES. Everyone will try to convince you to do the IDES, but the process for the LDES is SO much quicker, and you can still get all of the benefits you do with the IDES. My friend got out for a mental health condition with the LDES, and the VA is supposed to get her disability within the next month. Overall, it's a better way to go if you're looking to get out sooner rather than later.

faithclararose

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Also, yes, ask your therapist to recommend PEB to your command. If they don't cooperative, find someone who will (That is what I had to do).

joedoe

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am on a PEB for PTSD from MST as well. I was in the same situation, being in the service makes my mental health worse. It's not always a conducive environment to healing. It would have been more beneficial to get out sooner rather than later. If you do go that route, I HIGHLY recommend doing the LDES instead of the IDES. Everyone will try to convince you to do the IDES, but the process for the LDES is SO much quicker, and you can still get all of the benefits you do with the IDES. My friend got out for a mental health condition with the LDES, and the VA is supposed to get her disability within the next month. Overall, it's a better way to go if you're looking to get out sooner rather than later.
Thank you, a ton. What was the process like for you? How did you go about asking your therapist? How long did you go before you asked?

faithclararose

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you, a ton. What was the process like for you? How did you go about asking your therapist? How long did you go before you asked?
After a month or two of seeing my counselor after the assault, I told her I wasn't coping well and being in the service was making it worse. I just told her the truth, that I felt like I need to get out and heal without all of the specific pressures that come with the military. The biggest point for me was that I felt like I was having trouble trusting men at that point, and it hurt to admit that if I was deployed I may not be effective as a team member. It's bigger than just what I WANT, it's also what's best for the Marines to the left and right of me.
I would just be completely honest, in the end she tried to help but was completely clueless of the process, so I met with another counselor who had more experience with it -- she was able to help me and recommended admin discharge. From there, they sent me to another psychologist who formally diagnosed me with PTSD, and that is an automatic med board.
Then I was influenced to choose the IDES, and like I said, it was a big mistake. I was referred in late October/ Early November, and it's been 8 months now. The board just sent my case to the VA for rating so we will see how much longer it takes. Current estimate is August, so if that's the case it will have taken a total of 10 months. With the LDES, it's more like 3-4 months.
Hope this helps!! Let me know if you have anymore questions, best of luck to you and take care of yourself!

joedoe

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
After a month or two of seeing my counselor after the assault, I told her I wasn't coping well and being in the service was making it worse. I just told her the truth, that I felt like I need to get out and heal without all of the specific pressures that come with the military. The biggest point for me was that I felt like I was having trouble trusting men at that point, and it hurt to admit that if I was deployed I may not be effective as a team member. It's bigger than just what I WANT, it's also what's best for the Marines to the left and right of me.
I would just be completely honest, in the end she tried to help but was completely clueless of the process, so I met with another counselor who had more experience with it -- she was able to help me and recommended admin discharge. From there, they sent me to another psychologist who formally diagnosed me with PTSD, and that is an automatic med board.
Then I was influenced to choose the IDES, and like I said, it was a big mistake. I was referred in late October/ Early November, and it's been 8 months now. The board just sent my case to the VA for rating so we will see how much longer it takes. Current estimate is August, so if that's the case it will have taken a total of 10 months. With the LDES, it's more like 3-4 months.
Hope this helps!! Let me know if you have anymore questions, best of luck to you and take care of yourself!
[/QUOTE

Thank you for the information! During that entire process did they give you any time off of work?

faithclararose

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
No, they don't give you any time off of work. There's been a few times I've had such bad anxiety that I asked to go home, and luckily my command is very understanding. Some people aren't as lucky with their command. But you will be put on a limdu, only able to work 40 hours a week.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">