Who initiates the MEB/PEB process? (Army Reserve)

JamesTPossible

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was involved in a pedestrian-vehicle accident on post while on a 45-day order. An LOD was done confirming it was in the line of duty. The accident shattered the neck of the femur, and it's held together with some nice titanium hardware. I've been on temporary profile for 5 months now with heavy restrictions. I can walk with a cane and I can sit for a while until the hardware hurts. The civilian surgeon who did the operation marked my restrictions as temporary in the last go-round, still waiting to see how it heals (they evac'd me to the nearest civilian trauma center, as the on-post clinic doesn't have an ER). I've been trying to figure out all the different processes...submitted my paperwork to the VA through the DAV, hounded the unit until the LOD was completed. Seems to be 4 or five unrelated paths...the LOD process is disconnected from the Profile process, which is disconnected from the VA, and somewhere the PEB falls in there.

I'm off orders and back trying to do my civilian job. I've got about 4 years to retirement, 2.5 years to my MRD. I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't really want to be 'that guy' hanging on until retirement, especially as a senior leader. And I hate being in limbo about my status. So, in the reserves, how does a PEB get initiated?

Your PCM. Talk to your medical folks. I think you should have been placed on med hold and retain on AD.

Absolutely should have been retained on AD. We discussed transfer to a WTU, but I gather Brigade didn't know how to do it.

In this case, who is my PCM? That seems to be a TRICARE Prime thing.

Your PCM is going to be the battalion surgeon at the Reserve Support Command.

Read this starting on page 38 http://www.armyg1.army.mil/WTU/docs/WTUConsolidatedGuidanceAdministrative.pdf

Is that the Geographical Command or the Functional Command? Is it the same folks handling my profile? I still haven't fully grasped the Reserve medical processes...it's a pain compared to being on orders at the MTF.

Thanks for the link. I'll include it in the AAR I'm writing for the BN and BDE. I was lucky to have civilian financial means to get by, but our junior soldiers wouldn't, and the unit needs to fix their process.

Ok, I did get ahold of the correct person to handle it. Looks like the next step is to explain to my civilian surgeon what a profile is and discuss what of my injuries are permanent. Which will probably result in a P3 and then a med board.