Will VA be backdated

usmc2651usa73a

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Army NG traditional

Will my VA ratings be backdated to the original claim date or will they just close the claim with my retirement date? In other words, will there be some backpay from the VA?

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Army NG traditional

Will my VA ratings be backdated to the original claim date or will they just close the claim with my retirement date? In other words, will there be some backpay from the VA?
Hello,

Related info:

A service member cannot receive “concurrent” pay and benefits from the military and VA Disability Compensation for the same day. Once a year, the VA will request information (VA Form 21-8951-2) from the service member to report the number of days served in the past year. The service member must elect which pay to waive, drill pay or disability compensation. A typical service member will have 63 days of service a year assuming 48 UTA's and 15 days of A.T.

From the VA:
The effective date for a disability that was caused—or made worse—by military service is whichever of these comes later:
  • The date we get your claim, OR
  • The date you first got your illness or injury (also known as the date your entitlement arose)
Reference: Disability compensation effective dates | Veterans Affairs <---LINK

--------------------
Retirees:

The effective date of VA compensation for most disability retirees is the day following the last day of active duty. One cannot receive VA compensation and military pay concurrently. I believe it is unlikely you will receive retroactive payment of VA compensation.

DoD disability retirement (Chapter 61) can be on any date during a month.
Example:
1. Last day AD: 15 July
2. Entered retired status: 16 Jul
3. First possible date for effective date for VA comp: 16 July
4. First accrual of VA comp: 1-31 August
5. First payment: on/about 1 September
This example pertains to a disability retirement

Good luck,
Ron

usmc2651usa73a

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you for the information. I have been rated 60% since 2003, so every year I have to pay back some VA money. I guess I will see what happens. Since I am not active duty but most likely will be medically retired it is unclear if the VA portion will be backdated to the original claim or the date of my medical retirement.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Thank you for the information. I have been rated 60% since 2003, so every year I have to pay back some VA money. I guess I will see what happens. Since I am not active duty but most likely will be medically retired it is unclear if the VA portion will be backdated to the original claim or the date of my medical retirement.
Hello @usmc2651usa73a

Thanks for your reply. Please post the results once it is decided.

Thank you,
Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">