Wing Commander Relieved for Failing Wt portion of PT test

TheNemos

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
They should have a measurement for those over 6'0 not giving them too much but a reasonable waist taking into consideration their height and body mass difference.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
There is no longer a body fat standard in the AF- it is purely inches. They are taking the approach that the American heart assoc. says that "people with a 39 or over waist are at risk for greater health issues" in a recent AF time sarticle it was even admitted that the tape is not a one size fits all test BUT that it was the most cost effective and closest they could achieve and be a set standard for everyone.

As to the checks and balances, not sure where your from but where Im from our first step in the IG process is Group IG and they are useally chosen members from within the ranks of members from the group ( so they are allready part of the good 'ol boys club before they go over) so by time you get to step 2 doing anything appropriately the member is useally out the door.
Interesting process the USAF has in reference to IG...

Within the U.S. Army, it's total different for the very reasons you stated within the USAF IG process. With that, I now understand the challenges the USAF has and (in my opinion) it shall continue unless the IG process is totally revamped!

Moreover, throughout my joint assignments (combat and non-combat) with USAF and USMC, the Sister Service members would share their experiences referencing Sister Service regulations and policies. It's always not "greener on the other side of the fence" as we all would occasionally think. But, in the mean time, USAF service members are still being subjective to well-known "accepted" practices which are non-compliant to the policies and regulations.

From my viewpoint once again, it's amazing; just simply amazing!

Best Wishes!

akbanone

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I still am convinced that he had something hiding in the closet and "management" used him as an example for things to come. I have had the pleasure of flying/serving with USMA grads; at least in the Army they take care of their own one way or another and I am sure its no different in the sister branches in our nations defense. I commend those officers that possess the cojones to do the right thing by policing their own because that is how our establishment works/succeeds; no different than any other business right? Generally speaking by the time any officer makes senior field grade (sourcing irrelevant) the weeding out process has thinned out, every now and then one O6 grade level will make the cover of the Army/Air Force/Navy Times. Considering that we have a military force of around one million I would count that as a success. What I can't figure out is, WHO is the poor bast**d who had to break the bad news to the boss to begin with??

gimartin

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Using an enforcement of standards as a force shaping tool.

This is definitely the feeling down on the ground, trust me. I am a SSG with 14+ yrs TIS and am continually fighting the AR 600-9 battle. Every time I get taped from my First Sergeant, she gives me the speech dealing with a drawdown in force. I am sure that when I go before my Administrative Separation board, I will get the same speech from the members of the board. It seems that ever since the drawdown began, the schism between the Senior Leaders, aka those who have already hit their 20 mark and don't care because they have their retirement, and the rest of us has grown tremendously. I am in a training environment right now in which I am intermingled in with AIT troops and this is all we hear about from the company leadership. I look around the formation and have a sense of dread when I think about the future of our Army. It is a sad state of affairs indeed.

This is also the aspect of the colonel's relief of command that has me scratching my chin. I tend to lean on idea that there is more to this case than meets the eye, but we'll probably never know. I do admire the way in which he went out though.

Checks and balances or the lack thereof. I think that the checks and balances concept has fallen by the wayside in which to give lower level (company and battalion) leadership the power to use "enforcement of the standards" as a force reduction tool. The lack of a checks and balances idea also comes in to play with that physician's assistance up at the local medical clinic that is sitting on stack of medical issues for which a MEB should be initiated but he chooses not to but rather let that Soldier destroy their career due to these issues. Story of my life, but I'm not complaining. I'll take my sep pay and go on to civilian life just as this colonel did.

TSgt Twitch

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I still am convinced that he had something hiding in the closet and "management" used him as an example for things to come. I have had the pleasure of flying/serving with USMA grads; at least in the Army they take care of their own one way or another and I am sure its no different in the sister branches in our nations defense. I commend those officers that possess the cojones to do the right thing by policing their own because that is how our establishment works/succeeds; no different than any other business right? Generally speaking by the time any officer makes senior field grade (sourcing irrelevant) the weeding out process has thinned out, every now and then one O6 grade level will make the cover of the Army/Air Force/Navy Times. Considering that we have a military force of around one million I would count that as a success. What I can't figure out is, WHO is the poor bast**d who had to break the bad news to the boss to begin with??
Pretty sure it was some poor SrA who runs a 5 minute 1.5 miles and spends more time int he gym than at his work center and more money on his supplements than his house/family.

Never Surrender

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
In addition I find the USAF Male vs Female 1.5 mile run time standards offensive IMO.

Run Time Cut Off:

Female 18 - 30 = 16:22
Male 50 - 60 = 16:22

So as a 49 year old Male I must out run a 18 year old Female. RIF RIF RIF

johndelta

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
He should have know better, if they
tape like the Army does then it was his neck
not his waist. Or he is under 72in in HT. But I
do feel like there is more to this story. A full Bird
gets done in for ht and wt don't sound right.
Just my 2 cents!

Bigben

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I've seldom seen an O-6 take an APFT.. There's simply more to the story and probably internal politics and/or pressure from the GO level being forced down through the pipeline from the Pentagon. Budget cuts perhaps or simply I gotcha and gonna make an example out of you..

Who knows...as it's a cut throat these days. Usually with many years put in, and we all know with age, the body isn't as capable to perform as it used to as many years ago. Everyone knows majority of us seniors out there, and you know who they are, some just couldn't pass an APFT. Not all bodies are shaped the same, especially the amount of hard earned years put in.

But of course, in this day in age, leaders have to set the example! Just one of those things we keep to ourselves.. it's like telling a GO, "Sir, you have to take a APFT". Hmmm..guess what will happen to you right after you would say that? Transfer...., gone, asta la vista.. bye bye...

gimartin

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I can't cite my sources, but I am under the impression that general officers are exempt from the APFT and AR 600-9. If this is the case, all the colonel would have had to do was get promoted and he'd be able to ride the preverbal gravy train.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">