WTB Fit For Duty Falsly administered

dp3dp

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Without getting to much into my medical condition as I know I will get there given this is my first post I have a simple question. Has anyone gone to a WTB been found fit for duty and immediately upon PCSing without any change to medications or medical condition been told at the gaining hospital they should have undergone an MEB and one will be initiated unless insert reason here is done? In my case it is because I am on a narcotic pain medication butrans that I have been on sense before joining the WTB and never had an MEB initiated while at the WTB. This was clearly against regulation and have been told I have 90 days to ditch the narcotics or an MEB will be initiated.

Without getting to much into my medical condition as I know I will get there given this is my first post I have a simple question. Has anyone gone to a WTB been found fit for duty and immediately upon PCSing without any change to medications or medical condition been told at the gaining hospital they should have undergone an MEB and one will be initiated unless insert reason here is done? In my case it is because I am on a narcotic pain medication butrans that I have been on sense before joining the WTB and never had an MEB initiated while at the WTB. This was clearly against regulation and have been told I have 90 days to ditch the narcotics or an MEB will be initiated.
What is your preference?

Do you want to have an MEB initiated? With the possibility of being medically separated or retired?

Do you want to avoid an MEB and continue service?

Most importantly, what will your medical condition(s) mean to that decision, is an MEB unavoidable?

Could you reasonably stop taking the narcotics?

If its about proving that someone at the WTB messed up, and you want heads to roll over it, that probably won't happen as they can always say it was a medical judgment call (at both commands) and a decision at one does not necessarily translate into a required agreement at the other.

Better to think about what choices and options you have now, and move forward from there.

Hope this helps...

In order to answer if I would medically retire I am glad I found this resource. Is it recommended I keep everything in one thread or is it better to post a new subject in the conditions and ratings thread to help answer that one. I'm not so sure it is a judgement call. AR 40-501 Para 5-14 (17) clearly outlines the medications that require a medical evaluation. The key word missing is board in the paragraph, technically I would mesical evaluated just not by a formal board. However, after all I have been through in the past 5 years to work so hard to be able to deploy then after a reoccurrence of the tumor to return to duty only to be told no has left a sour taste in my mouth to go the route of an MEB. However, if my conditions leave it questionable if I would get medically retired then I may fight it, however the reduction in pain medication has surfaced some issues previously masked my the pain medication.

Apologizes, that should have read "technically I was medically evaluated"

Main purpose of the WTB is to medically rehabilitate soldiers and return them to duty. Secondary is the administrative act of initiating and administering the MEB/PEB.

Chapter 5-14 (17) that you have quoted are the standards for deployment and it lists the medications that would warrant a medical evaluation (not MEB). A medical evaluation in the Army would typically be your "periodic health assessment" which replaced the five year physical. If you listed any of the medications on that list during you PHA you would be referred to a physician to determine fitness.

Medical Fitness Standards for Retention and Separation, Including Retirement are found in AR 40-501 Chapter 3.

More than likely you will be found unfit under Chapter 3-43(a) Benign tumors if their condition precludes the satisfactory performance of military duty.

Since this condition has bene on your radar since 2011 and the benign tumors appear to be the catalyst of the MEB talk.

Butrans is an opioid medication and exposes the users to many risks which will affect a soldiers readiness. Additionally if you have been under medication for pain for greater than 12 months, it could be assumed that the pain that precludes satisfactory performance of duty making the related conditions unfit for duty.

Main purpose of the WTB is to medically rehabilitate soldiers and return them to duty. Secondary is the administrative act of initiating and administering the MEB/PEB.

Chapter 5-14 (17) that you have quoted are the standards for deployment and it lists the medications that would warrant a medical evaluation (not MEB). A medical evaluation in the Army would typically be your "periodic health assessment" which replaced the five year physical. If you listed any of the medications on that list during you PHA you would be referred to a physician to determine fitness.

Medical Fitness Standards for Retention and Separation, Including Retirement are found in AR 40-501 Chapter 3.

More than likely you will be found unfit under Chapter 3-43(a) Benign tumors if their condition precludes the satisfactory performance of military duty.

Since this condition has bene on your radar since 2011 and the benign tumors appear to be the catalyst of the MEB talk.

Butrans is an opioid medication and exposes the users to many risks which will affect a soldiers readiness. Additionally if you have been under medication for pain for greater than 12 months, it could be assumed that the pain that precludes satisfactory performance of duty making the related conditions unfit for duty.

So this just adds to the confusion under chapter 3 I am "fit for duty" but under chapter 5 am non deployable which in the eyes of the fort polk hospital makes me "unfit for duty." To add to that, my tumor has not caused unsatisfactory performance actually the opposite and I have excellent NCOER's to prove that point. So which one is it?. How can one installation find me fit for duty a WTB at that and then a different installation following the same regulations say I am un fit for duty. I meet with my PCM today who can hopefully shed some light on this because I would like to stay in, however if I and my importantly my family have to keep going through this at every installation then it is not worth it or my other fear is I stay in then at the next duty station am separated due to ets and not medical reasons. So I don't get it.

Unsatisfactory performance has nothing to do with your NCOER's it would have to do with the premise that due to the medical condition, you basically miss duty often to deal with them. This is not a personal attack on your character, so please do not take it as that.

It has to do with your state of readiness and the ability to perform all tasks at all times.

The standard for fitness may differ from unit to unit as well, what you have now is a unit that is aware that you are currently on narcotics for pain. This is more than likely the though process behind it:

Soldier had chronic pain, needs to take opioids which are:

1.) A risk to the soldier, since being on opioids has side effects which greatly hinder the soldiers ability to perform.
2.) A risk to the unit, as opioids are additive and many soldiers seek them out from those who are prescribed them.

You are pretty much at a tipping point, where you can temporarily decide you own fate.

Stay on the opioids for pain, accept the P3 for the condition(s) that are causing the pain and get referred to a MEB in a year.

Or, work with your PCM and pain management to find an alternative to the opioid to control the pain, possibly a permanent profile that will allow you to continue to serve, with limitations.

Unsatisfactory performance has nothing to do with your NCOER's it would have to do with the premise that due to the medical condition, you basically miss duty often to deal with them. This is not a personal attack on your character, so please do not take it as that.

It has to do with your state of readiness and the ability to perform all tasks at all times.

The standard for fitness may differ from unit to unit as well, what you have now is a unit that is aware that you are currently on narcotics for pain. This is more than likely the though process behind it:

Soldier had chronic pain, needs to take opioids which are:

1.) A risk to the soldier, since being on opioids has side effects which greatly hinder the soldiers ability to perform.
2.) A risk to the unit, as opioids are additive and many soldiers seek them out from those who are prescribed them.

You are pretty much at a tipping point, where you can temporarily decide you own fate.

Stay on the opioids for pain, accept the P3 for the condition(s) that are causing the pain and get referred to a MEB in a year.

Or, work with your PCM and pain management to find an alternative to the opioid to control the pain, possibly a permanent profile that will allow you to continue to serve, with limitations.

Apologizes I know you are not personally attacking my work ethic, just something I actually take pride in despite my injury illness. So two things can I be retainable under chapter 3 and nobdeployable under chapter 5 and still stay in? Second based on the link above to my current conditions what is the likely hood of receiving medical retirement?

Chapter 5 is deployment, you can not meet deployment standards, but still be retainable. That is going to depend on your unit and other factors.

Chapter 3 are the standards of fitness, which if you do not meet, you will be referred to a MEB and possibly a PEB. Based upon the conditions that you have stated, I believe retirement is imminent. It would not be possible to determine the percentage until you have a C&P exam.

I tend to agree with you, would just be nice to have an idea of how my current conditions could be rated.