Advice for disability evaluation appointments

chronicLBP

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have applied for BDD and am about to start having all the eval appointments to confirm or assess my disabilities.

What should I know? I’m not trying to play the system and lie; however, I mean things like the advice that I’ve heard like “make that day your worst day/don’t tell them you’re feeling well that day,” “with range of motion tests, stop as soon as pain starts and refuse to go further;” the point to mention “prostrating” and “debilitating” when being assessed for migraines.

I have many issues, but my primary issues are back, nerve, and joint pain, migraines, depression/anxiety/PTSD, and insomnia/sleep apnea. All of these make work and life extremely difficult and I miss work very often. I was going to be MEB’d but since I’m getting out soon my providers and I agreed to nix that as to avoid accidentally keeping me in longer.

All of these are very well documented in my medical records (except for PTSD which my Mental Health provider refuses to diagnose; “well you have all the symptoms but don’t meet criteria since you also have depression.”) I DID have migraines and very mild back pain before service, and they are now exponentially worse, but I am still afraid of things being judged as non service connected.

Are there any other “key words” or phrases that should I use for these? Any other advice? I am very nervous and scared.

First of all if these conditions affect your job you should stay in longer and go through IDES. You are only hurting yourself by getting out via ETS. Tricare for life by getting a medical retirement would be a reason enough to try to get referred if your conditions make you unfit for duty.

First of all if these conditions affect your job you should stay in longer and go through IDES. You are only hurting yourself by getting out via ETS. Tricare for life by getting a medical retirement would be a reason enough to try to get referred if your conditions make you unfit for duty.
How do I do this? and how much longer? I do not believe I will be able to make it any longer. I cannot physically or mentally handle it.

I was going to be MEB’d but my providers decided against it at IRILO — they said they didn’t want to keep me in longer.

I was going to be MEB’d but my providers decided against it at IRILO — they said they didn’t want to keep me in longer.
Not a whole lot you can do if your provider doesn't think your issues make you unable to do your job. When do you ETS? Sometimes they look at that and decide its easier for you to ETS even though they should review your health and decide independently if you should be IRILO and then full IDES.

Not a whole lot you can do if your provider doesn't think your issues make you unable to do your job. When do you ETS? Sometimes they look at that and decide its easier for you to ETS even though they should review your health and decide independently if you should be IRILO and then full IDES.
Yeah… a huge portion of this base has issues with all of our PCMs. ETS 17 September. Unfortunately yes they are just taking the easy way out. I should have had the MEB process started way sooner than it did but my PCM kept pushing it back and the patient advocate was useless.

I’m just going to be pushing and fighting as hard as I can for the highest rating I can get.

Yeah… a huge portion of this base has issues with all of our PCMs. ETS 17 September. Unfortunately yes they are just taking the easy way out. I should have had the MEB process started way sooner than it did but my PCM kept pushing it back and the patient advocate was useless.

I’m just going to be pushing and fighting as hard as I can for the highest rating I can get.
So if you want to try to fight for IDES there is a risky option. You could sign a new enlistment contract:) Then they have to deal with you. It gives you a chance for more treatment paid by military and then either you get better or they will have to go that route since you can't do your job. Most people are sick of it and want it to be done but for some its worth taking the road less taken to get an outcome that is beneficial for you long term.

I see. Thanks. I really don’t know if I’d be able to make it for the long term if I stayed in longer.

I see. Thanks. I really don’t know if I’d be able to make it for the long term if I stayed in longer.
LOL that's the point. If you are unable to do your job due to mental health issues they will eventually push you into IRILO:) I did say its risky but then again if your only reason not to stay longer is because you don't think you can do your job due to health reasons then that is the point. Make the AF admit to that and push you to IRILO and eventually into IDES. When or if you get out you can get VA disability income but its very hard to find an employer as accommodating as the military for medical issues.

So either you get better and stay in longer which would be a win or you don't get better and they put you into IDES and medically retire you most likely on TDRL. (You could even fight that if you have proof the condition is stable and not likely to change in the future).

I mean that as in I don’t know if I will be able to physically remain here if I stay in longer.