BCMR Advisory Opinion, what a joke

KiloBravoSierra

PEB Forum Regular Member
I thought for a first post, I'd share my latest BCMR advisory opinion.

Note the incorrect spelling, incorrect sentence structure, some of which doesn't make sense.

I've redacted personal information, names, businesses etc (except information that isn't correct).
View attachment BCMR advisory opinion 08APR2011.pdf

I thought my MEB/PEB was a joke, but this BCMR advisory opinion takes the cake.

Ken

Looks likeDr Carson wrote it very late at night...or had a high school dropout type it up for him. I do not understand the grammar or other errors by this long-term professional who usually writes so very well. Also, your papers should have had an LOD re: both hazardous duty and instrumentality of war during a period of war finding. I'd add chronic pain syndrome, meds which prevent safe employment, proof that the snapshot in time of your separation was one of total disability and no likelihood of improvement. Get to a pain clinic, have records reviewed by docs associated with a med school or who were formerly military or VA-affiliated. Get advice from an attorney familiar with PEB. While VA docs cannot comment on VA applications, they CAN do so for other agencies like USAF, so get tons of supporting documents. Also add buddy letters from wife, others who can contest Carson's viewpoint.
Good luck.
WhiskyTangoCharlie

You deserved a complete MEB that covers all medical conditions with full clinical data as required by DoDI 1332.38, the same document the medical advisor "cherry picks" passages from to make a case to deny. While he states the there is no evidence that the other conditions were cause for unfitness, that is likely because the evidence was not properly developed in the MEB as required. And again, the medical advisor conviently missed the following provision from DoDI 1332.38:

E3.P3.4.4. Overall Effect. A member may be determined unfit as a result of the overall effect of two or more impairments even though each of them, standing alone, would not cause the member to be referred into the DES or be found unfit because of physical disability.

Mike

I know Mike, this is Ken. We emailed last year around April and you helped me with my response. I just emailed you recently with some more stuff. BCMR final, my response to the advisory etc.........

After a lengthly discussion with my wife, we're going to risk our financial security and get legal representation. I think they (DoD) bank on people not having the financial resources to fight.

There is just to many violations of the AFIs and DoDI (& my rights) to proceed on my own.

I appreciate your responding to my asking for help.

I'll keep your posted on how the BCMR reconsideration goes.

Ken

Yes, I knew it was you. Just trying to broadcast the same message to a larger audiance. Lawyers can be expensive. Have you figured out how much is a stake? In other words, if retired, how much more money would you get given the VA offset of DoD disability retirement pay. What is your current VA rating? How valuable is tricare coverage in you specific circumstances. Don't forget you only have a year to file the reconsideration.

Mike

Yes, I knew it was you. Just trying to broadcast the same message to a larger audiance. Lawyers can be expensive. Have you figured out how much is a stake? In other words, if retired, how much more money would you get given the VA offset of DoD disability retirement pay. What is your current VA rating? How valuable is tricare coverage in you specific circumstances. Don't forget you only have a year to file the reconsideration.

Mike

No, I (we) haven't figured out how much is at stake.

We were trying to figure that out last night as a cost benefit analysis and / or risk vs. "reward" to help decide if taking a large chunk of the nest egg for legal representation made sense. Frankly, that's almost as confusing as the DES is. ;)

I'm 100% P&T with the VA. Was 90% at separation.

I thought the AF made no restrictions on time to file the reconsideration.

As always, I appreciate the time you take to help me and everyone else out.

Ken

See your BCMR decision. It should have wording that you have a year to apply for reconsideration with new evidence.

Mike

By Federal court ruling, applicants have one year to submit a reconsideration, as mentioned by Mike, However, the Board will only reconsider the case if there is new argument or evidence. While Mike also correctly cites DoDI 1332.38, that is assuming that the MEB did not list all physical problems. It should have listed all physical defects and made determinations on which would were medically disqualifying. Only those that are medically disqualifying can be considered by the PEB. Normally a soldier/sailor/airman's performance record is reviewed along with his or her health record. What is being determined is WHAT medical conditions are prevented the individual from performing his or her duties. The military compensated individuals for a loss of career, so only those condition(s) which cause the loss of a career are ratable. Other service connected medical defects are compensated by the DVA. What I'm saying here is even if the MEB did not list all medical defects, the burdon of proof would still be on you to prove you had other medically disqualifying conditions. Otherwise, the BCMR would consider it a harmless omission.

Ed,

The PEB is required to assess all conditions to see if the contribute to unfiitness. Again, per DoDI 1332.38:

E3.P3.4.4. Overall Effect. A member may be determined unfit as a result of the overall effect of two or more impairments even though each of them, standing alone, would not cause the member to be referred into the DES or be found unfit because of physical disability.

Thus, the burden would be to show the condition contributed to unfitness vice was medically disqualifying. Plus, if the condition was not properly covered with full clinical data as required, it is had to assess its impact.

What is the cite that only medically disqualifying conditions can be considered by the PEB?

Mike

This is out of a case dated September 2011. It wasn't my case.

15. Army Regulation 635-40 (Physical Evaluation for Retention, Retirement, or Separation) provides that the medical treatment facility commander with the primary care responsibility will evaluate those referred to him and will, if it appears as though the member is not medically qualified to perform duty or fails to meet retention criteria, refer the member to a medical evaluation board (MEB). Those members who do not meet medical retention standards will be referred to a physical evaluation board (PEB) for a determination of whether they are able to perform the duties of their grade and military specialty with the medically-disqualifying condition.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

While you correctly site the DoDI, the reality is that an applicant would have to show that he had two or more physical conditions, not medically disqualifying, that resulted in his inability to do his duties. Thats a tough hurdle to clear. Generally someone's medical records will contain physical profiles for the primary disability and OERS/NCOERS will only reference the major disability as the reason for the soldier's limitations in performing his duties. If not properly packaged, I could imagine the ABCMR concluding something like:

"While the applicant has provided documentation to show that he had an ACL tear and degenerative joint disease [I'm just throwing in a couple of medical conditions in to fill in the blank], he has not provided any documentation to show that they were physically unfitting. His physical profiles and OERS show that he was unable to perform his duties due to TBI, not his ACL tear and degenerative joint disease."

Now if there wasn't another disability and the soldier was administratively discharged, you could make a case but only if the OERs/NCOERs and APFTs supported it.

Ed

I know Mike, this is Ken. We emailed last year around April and you helped me with my response. I just emailed you recently with some more stuff. BCMR final, my response to the advisory etc.........

After a lengthly discussion with my wife, we're going to risk our financial security and get legal representation. I think they (DoD) bank on people not having the financial resources to fight.

There is just to many violations of the AFIs and DoDI (& my rights) to proceed on my own.

I appreciate your responding to my asking for help.

I'll keep your posted on how the BCMR reconsideration goes.

Ken

Ken,
[Edited by Jason: I removed the link and reference to attorneys. While I generally support anyone finding and seeking legal representation that they are comfortable with, at the same time, I don't advertise my own services on this site, so I (again, generally) don't permit posts to other attorneys who charge members (i.e., all non-military, not assigned, fee for service attorneys...I have let some attorneys post links on their profiles when they post helpful/substantive posts in the forums, though). Feel free to send the information via Personal Conversation, though....I don't have a problem with the sharing of information; I just don't want to be a conduit for referrals to those who have not contributed to this site] will take some cases on contingency. Granted, the cost will be higher if you win since they are taking on some of the risk.

Ed,

You provided in your post above the following:

Army Regulation 635-40 (Physical Evaluation for Retention, Retirement, or Separation) provides that the medical treatment facility commander with the primary care responsibility will evaluate those referred to him and will, if it appears as though the member is not medically qualified to perform duty or fails to meet retention criteria, refer the member to a medical evaluation board (MEB). Those members who do not meet medical retention standards will be referred to a physical evaluation board (PEB) for a determination of whether they are able to perform the duties of their grade and military specialty with the medically-disqualifying condition.

I don’t disagree that in order to trigger a MEB the member has to have a condition that does not meet retention standards (or calls into question his medical qualification to serve). However, once the MEB is triggered, all medical conditions are required to be covered with full clinical data. And per DoDI 1332.38, conditions that are not triggers for a MEB can still contribute to overall unfitness. The 14 OCT 2008 DoD DTM states that conditions that contribute to unfitness must be rated per the VASRD even if they are not independently unfitting.

E7.1.2. The Department of Veterans Affairs Schedule for Rating Disabilities

(VASRD) shall be used in making ratings determinations for each of the medical conditions determined to be unfitting independently or due to combined effect, to include in combination with an independently unfitting condition. If more than 1 military unfitting condition exists, the VASRD will be used to determine a combined disability rating for each unfitting condition. For purposes of establishing a rating, the VASRD will be used in relation to the Service member's physical disability at the time of the evaluation. If use of convalescent ratings and/or other interim ratings (i.e prestabilization ratings) applies, the Service member may be placed on the Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL) for reevaluation purposes.

Therein is the rub. If the MEB does not properly cover all medical conditions, and the NMA does not specifically delineate what conditions are impacting duty performance, how can the PEB properly assess the impact of the condition on fitness? It a trash in, trash out problem.

I understand that the BCMR’s operate on the presumption of Government regularity. And the responsibility is on the applicant to show the error. But he should only have to demonstrate a condition contributed to his overall unfitness, based on the fitness standards in DoDI 1332.38, to be successful. If that hurdle is completed, the conditons needs to be rated per the VASRD and combined to his overall military disability rating.

My bigger issue with the BCMRs, and the ABCMR in particular, is this often used passage in their decisions:

An award of a higher VA rating does not establish error or injustice in the Army rating. An Army disability rating is intended to compensate an individual for interruption of a military career after it has been determined that the individual suffers from an impairment that disqualifies him or her from further military service. The VA, which has neither the authority nor the responsibility for determining physical fitness for military service, awards disability ratings to veterans for conditions that it determines were incurred during military service and subsequently affect the individual's social or industrial adaptability. Accordingly, it is not unusual for the two agencies of the government, operating under different policies, to arrive at a different disability rating based on the same impairment.

Absolutely the overall VA rating can be higher than the overall PEB rating as the PEB rating is limited to conditions that contribute to unfitness. However, when it comes to the rating for the same unfitting condition at the same time, the ratings should be the same as both the military and VA are required to rate per the VASRD.

If the VA rates the condition deemed unfitting, effective the date of separation, higher than the military, the ABCMR needs to explain why the Army rating is correct in light of the VA rating as one of the two agencies in wrong. The Rominger v. US case brought this out in spades when it ruled:

Although courts afford great deference to the decisions of boards for the correction of military records, that deference is not absolute. Correction boards are obligated to “examine relevant data and articulate a satisfactory explanation for their decisions.” See Van Cleave, 66 Fed. Cl. at 136 (citing Yagjian v. Marsh, 571 F. Supp. 698, 701 (D.N.H. 1983)). In this connection, “correction boards are required to make rational connections between the facts found and the choices made.” Id. Where a correction board fails to support its decision with a reasoned explanation of an important issue, a remand is appropriate. Id. Tested by these standards, a remand is necessary in this case. Here, the ABCMR dismissed Mr. Rominger’s objections in three short paragraphs without any real analysis. After reiterating the undisputed factual evidence, the ABCMR did not provide any explanation for why the Army should not reconsider its disability rating based on the higher disability rating provided to Mr. Rominger by the VA for precisely the same diagnosis. Although the VA and Army have different standards for determining whether a service member is “disabled” or unfit for military service, “once a soldier is determined to be physically unfit for further military service, percentage ratings are applied to the unfitting conditions from the VASRD.” Army Reg. 635-40, App. B-3(a). “Congress has established the VASRD as the standard under which percentage rating decisions are to be made for disabled military personnel.” Id., App. B-1(a).

The Rominger ruling dates to 2005 and yet since that time the ABCMR decisions continue to use the passage above to explain away why the higher VA for the same exact condition is not an issue.

Mike

The ABCMR started requiring analysts to explain why the Army rating is diffreent than the VA rating on or about mid-2011. This requires an analysis of the VASRD or (in older cases) AR 635-40, Appendix B. A lot of things changed when Appendix B was thrown out due to PTSD. Under the new disability evaluation system (DES), the Army refers those conditions it deems to be unfitting to the VA, which makes a rating decision. That should eliminate a lot of the trouble. I don't have time to address some of your other issues right now, so I'll defer them to tomorrow (its a nice day and I've been riding my motorcycle).

By the way, an issue which was being decided when I retired was whether the ABCMR could even consider appeals to disability ratings under the new system where the VA is doing the rating. The ratings are being done by the VA and there are internal mechanisms for appealing a VA rating within the VA system. It was my opinion that the ABCMR could not hear these cases. The argument made against my opinion was that while the VA came up with the rating, the rating was accepted by the Army and entered on the 199, and the ABCMR can change the 199. My argument against that is the DOD implimentation of the new system stated that the Army would accept the VA rating. A final decision on what the ABCMR would do in these cases hadn't been resolved prior to my departure. Thinking about it, I'll call my analyst who was working the case and find out what the outcome was.