Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) Slides

Jason Perry

Founder and Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
A presentation from the Army Adjutant General Directorate on CRSC. The law applies across all Services.

Attachments

• CRSC VSO TrainingSlides.pdf
    563.3 KB · Views: 516
The CRSC calculation is the biggest bunch of bureaucratic bullshit I have ever seen. The spirit of the law is to concurrently allow retirees to collect their meager retirement and their meager disability compensation for their combat related injuries so that they can live on today's economy. What DoD has done with this law is a joke!! Once again, a twenty year pogue gets much more consideration than a combat veteran who was forced out because of combat related injuries. There should be no "time in service" offset, the formula should be straight-up and clear..medical retirement (based on current formula) + VA disability payment for combat related injuries = monthly compensation. How do these politicians live with themselves? 1 Trillion dollars to prop up the fatcats in the banking industry who continue to walk away from their jobs with millions in golden parachutes. Combat veterans continue to get thrown crumbs from the table. The lesson is clear: screw your country = get rich , serve your country = get screwed!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetings all. A question regarding the 20 yr requirement indicated in the slides. Is that 20 yrs of active duty? I'm in the middle of a PEB and have 24 yrs (16 active and 8 Reserve).

Thanks,
Jungle

There is no 20 yr requirement for CRSC. However, your calculation is capped at 2.5% of active service (points/360).

For CRDP, if you are a reservist with 20 yrs letter, but less than 20 active years, you will not be eligible for CRDP until age 60 (or less if you have credit due to deployments).

Does anyone know how the services make the calculations to determine what the percentage will be? I am still waiting for my decision to come back from the PDBR but according to the lawyers (settlement) I will be retired at 70%. I only have one claim that made me unfit, hence the discharge, and that is PTSD. 10 years combined service (Navy and Air Force National Guard) and made E-5 being paid at the over 12 rate so I was topped out.

I called DFAS but that was a total waste of time. All the lady at DFAS would say was that it could be anywhere from 0-100% (well no duh!) I then called the CRSC unit with the AF and because I wasn't retired yet and of course hadn't put my application in yet they wouldn't tell me how the calcuations are done. What the hell? Is it that complicated? Is there some kind of magical secret formulae that they use? Or is just a random drawing?

I figure since I only have one disability that has to be looked at AND it's combat related and caused by combat the rating would either be 0% (which doesn't make sense) or 100% (since 100% of the disability was caused by combat) Does that make sense?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to use the DFAS calculator to get a general idea of my income but the CRSC thing throws me for a loop.

Thanks

Dear Jason:

In your latest posting on this thread, you wrote:

For CRDP, if you are a reservist with 20 yrs letter, but less than 20 active years, you will not be eligible for CRDP until age 60 (or less if you have credit due to deployments).

I also read parts of the NDAA 2011 and I think, if I read it correctly, there has been an additional change for calculating earlier retirement credit.
I believe that another time period that also counts toward early retirement credit is for those who have been on 12301(h) orders.
Those are the type of coded orders that I get while in CB-WTU - I also assume this code is probably on WTU orders as well.

For those in WTU/CB-WTU, look on the bottom of your orders and you will see a bunch of accounting code numbers. In that long stringer of codes, if one of them is 12301(h), then I presume that order will count as time served toward early retirement.

If I read it correctly (NDAA 2011), this means that those who have deployment time, and then subsequently, spent time under 12301(h) orders - all this combined time can now count toward early retirement credit.

Below is what I found in the NDAA 2011.

Your thoughts?

1. Just wondering when these two changes go into effect.

2. And, how far back do the changes go as far as retro for the recalculating of mobilization service time that will count toward the "early" retirement.
I got called up for mobilization under President Clinton (Operation Joint Endeavor - 96/97) - this count now? How about mobilization prior to NDAA 2008?

Two New Changes in NDAA 2011 MAY Have Positive Impacts On RESERVE COMPONENT - OR Anyone Else Affected By These Changes, Too.

CHANGE ONE:

SEC. 633.

CLARIFICATION OF EFFECT OF ORDERING RESERVE COMPONENT MEMBER TO ACTIVE DUTY TO RECEIVE AUTHORIZED MEDICAL CARE ON REDUCING ELIGIBILITY AGE FOR RECEIPT OF NON-REGULAR SERVICE RETIRED PAY.

Section 12731(f)(2)(B) of title 10, United States Code,is amended by adding at the end the following new clause:

‘‘(iii) If a member described in subparagraph (A) is wounded or otherwise injured or becomes ill while serving on active duty pursuant to a call or order to active duty under a provision of law referred to in the first sentence of clause (i) or in clause (ii), and the member is then ordered to active duty under section 12301(h)(1) of this title to receive medical care for the wound, injury, or illness, each day of active duty under that order for medical care shall be treated as a continuation of the original call or order to active duty for purposes of reducing the eligibility age of the member under this paragraph.’’.

CHANGE NUMBER 2

SEC. 635.

SENSE OF CONGRESS CONCERNING AGE AND SERVICE REQUIREMENTS FOR RETIRED PAY FOR NON-REGULAR SERVICE.

It is the sense of Congress that—

(1) the amendments made to section 12731 of title 10, United States Code, by section 647 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 (Public Law 110–181; 122 Stat. 160) were intended to reduce the minimum age at which members of a reserve component of the Armed Forces would begin receiving retired pay according to time spent deployed, by three months for every 90-day period spent on active duty over the course of a career, rather than limiting qualifying time to such periods wholly served within the same fiscal year, as interpreted by the Department of Defense; and

(2) steps should be taken by the Department of Defense to implement the congressional intent outlined in paragraph (1).

v/r,
nwlivewire

Shawn,

The CRSC percentage is the combined percentage ratings of conditions the VA compensates that your Service deems are combat related. Note, this is not necessarily what the PEB states is combat related. The Service CRSC office deems what conditons are combat related for purposes of CRSC.

Mike

Mike,
If I understand correctly. I only have one disability which is being compensated for (PTSD at 70%). So since the CRSC office only considers conditions that are combat related then since the PTSD was cause by combat then I should see a 100% CRSC rating? The PEB only rated me for PTSD (10%) and no other unfit conditions. Of course the VA came back with a rating of 70% two weeks after I was discharged, hence the Sabo suit and all that.

Shawn,

What matters is the VA rating for conditions the CRSC office deems combat related. So, if the VA rates your PTSD at 70% and the CRSC office agrees it is combat related, then your CRSC rating would be 70%.

That does not mean you will necessarily get CRSC at VA 70% compensation rate. You will get the lesser of the VA 70% compensation rate or the amount of length of service retirement you would be due. (Years of service times 2.5% times your high three retirmeent amount.) (high three = highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36).

This presumes you are not a victim of the CRSC glitch discussed in my DES Outrage # 8. PEB Forum Home - DES Outrage of the Week # 8 - DoD's CRSC Calculation Glitch

Mike