CRSC documents.

mjp19

Registered Member
Not sure if anyone will know this answer but worth a shot, I received a phone call from my Aw2 about my CRSC process (been alittle over 14 months since it was submitted.) she was told that I would need to submit a letter from an nco or officer backing my claim of events in Iraq which caused me to be medboard for Ptsd and several other things (army found it to be combat related and va has also came to same conclusion.) without going into to much details has anyone had to provide such letter or have heard of someone having to submit something like this before. Sorry if I am not sure what to do just this whole process has confused me. Thanks in advance for any answers/advice.

Yes, it's common for PTSD CRSC claims. You have rear echelon personnel reviewing and making determinations on CRSC awards and they abuse the casual link wording in the regulation. I have seen applicants have instrumentality of war "Yes" on their official department of the army medical retirement orders and a PEB narrative supporting combat related and the army still deny or question the combat relationship between your deployment and the disability. There is no branch within DOD that is out there trying to give away the governments money. It's the other way around. With physical disabilities that occur in combat zones especially that resulted in the award of a purple heart, it's pretty much a done deal. PTSD claims are much harder for a reason. It's a loophole the army is exploiting. Do you have any NCOER or OER, combat related awards or decorations to support direct fire contact and engagement with hostile forces? What specifically does your PEB state as the reason for your disability. The NVLSP offers to prepare CRSC claims and appeals for CRSC denial. Like anything else in the government, a strong justification based off of rules, regulations, process, procedures, laws and undeniable to evidence goes along way. I always recommend professional assistance or representation with any claims submitted the government because the service branches are not here to give away the governmente money

Would a Combat Infantry Badge award on DD214 along with a copy of the Orders and also a letter from a commissioned officer be sufficient for the CRSC claim for PTSD ?

For award of the CIB a Soldier must meet the following three requirements:

(1) Be an infantryman satisfactorily performing infantry duties.

(2) Assigned to an infantry unit during such time as the unit is engaged in active ground combat.

(3) Actively participate in such ground combat. Campaign or battle credit alone is not sufficient for award of the CIB.

The specific eligibility criteria for the CIB require that an officer (SSI 11 or 18) in the grade of colonel or below, or an Army enlisted Soldier or warrant officer with an infantry or Special Forces MOS, who subsequent to 6 December 1941 has satisfactorily performed duty while assigned or attached as a member of an infantry, ranger or special forces unit of brigade, regimental, or smaller size during any period such unit was engaged in active ground combat. Eligibility for Special Forces personnel in Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) 18B, 18C, 18E, 18F, and 18Z (less Special Forces medical sergeant) accrues from 20 December 1989. Retroactive awards of the CIB to Special Forces personnel are not authorized prior to 20 December 1989. A recipient must be personally present and under hostile fire while serving in an assigned infantry or Special Forces primary duty, in a unit actively engaged in ground combat with the enemy. The unit in question can be of any size smaller than brigade

Yes, a CIB is the main combat award or decoration I was referring to. An applicant would still have to prove the casual link with PTSD and combat via PEB or other medical records but with the CIB, the question of whether a Soldier has seen direct fire combat action is eliminated. It's funny, the CAB was created to give all other MOS's a badge to signify direct combat action and rear echelon personnel can be awarded the badge. I have no issues with that because I witnessed alot of non infantry personnel engaged in combat operations that were in direct combat service support of my unit. SSG Hester was the first female silver star recipient since wwll to be awarded a silver star and when I read her citation it made me her number one fan. A tank platoon volunteered to come to our aid and fought through a complex ambush in sadr city to pull me and my platoon out of an ambush where we were surrounded, egress routes cut off and our QRF pinned down and fixed 500 meters outside of the only route in to the Al Jazeera police station. I scoffed at the idea of a CAB until I witnessed the reason and justification for one to be created. However, I seen rear ecehlon personnel abuse the CAB by blanket awarding a whole section of senior and Junior enlisted leaders and eligible officers because they were on a CH47 that had to pop it's flairs because the pilots suspected they may have possibly observed a heat signature shoulder fired weapon on the ground. These same kind of rear echelon personnel are the same ones sitting at HRC playing policy god with the soldiers who were legitimately exposed to direct or indirect fire or a medic who responded to a suicide bombing and witnessed the kind of Carnage you expect in a slaughter house but wasn't present for the detonation and develops PTSD because he just witnessed the aftermath of something unique to combat operations and combat zones. HRC will take that same medics PEB or associated medical records and deny the medic crsc because he can't prove he was engaged by the enemy in the incident or incidents that are listed as causing his or her ptsd. Since I became a veterans advocate, I have witnessed more deplorable and disgusting tactics employed against veterans than I witnessed the Taliban, militia and Al qaeda when they were attempting to kill American service members. At least on those foriegn battlefields, the fight was fair. These are the same personnel that sit in the positions of authority to grant soldiers, Marines sailors and airman the benefits that were supposed to be granted when the rules, regulations, processes and procedures were written. If you haven't already done so, don't put anything past hrc, get Assistance from the NVLSP with your crsc packet. It's free service that they are providing and they know how to build a compelling case for approval.

Great info. I have a CIB and a CRSC application in right now. I’m anticipating having to appeal.

Maybe I’ll be surprised but I doubt it.

As long as the VA and the PEB say it's combat related you should not have any problem. Its in black and white on paper

As long as the VA and the PEB say it's combat related you should not have any problem. Its in black and white on paper
You would think. I do not put anything past people sitting in judgement over something they do not understand.

Hopefully I’ll be surprised.