Found Unfit, awarded PRDL.... but condition has resolved...!! Now what?

ironmanpilot21

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Long story short....

I was awarded PRDL, and my last day is in September. My referred condition was for mental health and was awarded 70% DoD and 100% VA (not P&T). As I was going through the C&P exams I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (added to claim, awarded 30%). Began treatment after C&P exams concluded, and all...ALL of my claimed conditions resolved to include the mental health issues. I told my doctor, and the PEBLO, and we attempted to stop the MEB/PEB process. My treating military psychiatrist even retracted their diagnosis. Fun fact: once it is sent to the PEB, it can not be retracted, and can only be appealed. So when they offered me the numbers above, and the fact I had been fighting them for 5 years over my symptoms, I decided to not appeal and walk away.

My question now is, if/when I talk with the VA about my status, is there a possibility that my PDRL status will change? If I was TDRL, I know I would be pulled right back into the service, but I went PDRL right off the bat.

PDRL is DOD. PDRL is permanent, no re-evaluation. Therefore, it would be very unlikely that talking to the VA about a permanent DOD status would result in any changes.

Thank you! I guess this is what the monopoly card "bank error in your favor" looks like. Or don't look a gift horse in the mouth. It's their error, not mine, and I tried to tell them... Regardless, I will absolutely be talking with the VA to clear things up, and adjust my rating. There are claims on there that are in error because they were symptoms of the thyroid issue and I don't feel right taking that rating.

Even if your VA reevaluation took you to zero, you would be eligible for retired DOD pay and will remain TriCare eligible.

Last edited:
Even if your VA reevaluation took you to zero, you would’ve eligible for retired DOD pay and will remain TriCare eligible.
@chaplaincharlie , could you clarify the second part of your statement? I am sure the "would've" is a typo. Are you saying that even if my VA goes to zero, I should still receive my 70% DOD pay? This was my understanding and expectation as well.

Are you saying that even if my VA goes to zero, I should still receive my 70% DOD pay? This was my understanding and expectation as well.
That is correct. VA and DOD ratongs are entirely independent of each other after you leave service.

@chaplaincharlie , could you clarify the second part of your statement? I am sure the "would've" is a typo. Are you saying that even if my VA goes to zero, I should still receive my 70% DOD pay? This was my understanding and expectation as well.
Typo fixed