Okay Doug is off the phone: this gentlemen said they lost his paperwork.......He said Doug will have his paperwork completed by next week. I’m going to post his email address after we get back. (We’re traveling today) if anyone wants to email Doug you email and phone number he said he will pass it on to this man. [email protected] doug will make sure he gets it.

I will also post doug’s email he sent up. He sent it yesterday to all the people I posted their address too. Phone call at 8:15 am. Not bad. Doug did tell him that he’s not the only one and that this is an on going issue for most of you.

You would never think that people would be going thru this much helll trying to get this retirment thing done and completed. You would figure that they would have this thing running like clock work since they have been doing this for years now........But i tell you what if it was not for this forum we would all be up shit creek without a paddle. Please excuse my language.

DFAS sent me a retiree account statement effective date Sept 10th. I received 4 of them. Which shows that my retirement is offset because my VA is higher. It shows I didn't except SBP. It says I would of started receiving retirement pay effective October 1st.

I filled out my form 2656 around Aug 2nd at Fort Knox KY.

I never set up account for they told me I dont have 20 plus years in. I wasn't a regular retiree. They told me I would have to go through the VA to get my retiree statement.

I was medically retired as Combat related. I did put in for my CRSC September 15th. I received a letter from CRSC stating that they have received my claim.
D

Did you get your first payment on the 1st Oct? Did you get any retro pay before or after?

I will also post doug’s email he sent up. He sent it yesterday to all the people I posted their address too. Phone call at 8:15 am. Not bad. Doug did tell him that he’s not the only one and that this is an on going issue for most of you.

Any status on what happen with the phone call?

What did you actually file for it to come up in "Open Claims" on eBenefits? I was told to fill out 21-4138 but none show in eBenefits.

I called the VA when I received my orders to see what I could do to expedite the process, knowing that DFAS would need to have the audit of my disability compensation for the last 11 years. The person I spoke to said I could create a letter of my own (typed or hand written and signed) requesting a financial audit. I asked if they would be able to send to DFAS too, and they said they would if I included it in the request.

Who knows what DFAS address it'll be sent to, or if it will be sent to them at all. All I know is they opened a claim for it. I assumed it was the same for everyone else, but I guess not.

Initially, the expected date range for completion was 1/31/2019-7/31/2019. Luckily it has been getting updated to more reasonable ranges and now reads 10/13-10/22

Who knows what DFAS address it'll be sent to, or if it will be sent to them at all. All I know is they opened a claim for it. I assumed it was the same for everyone else, but I guess not.

1. The VA submits notification of awards, increases, and decreases pertaining to retirees to the DFAS throughout a certain month and it is done electronically. I suspect they are batch submittals (not individual emails).

2. The DFAS submits audit results pertaining to retirees to the VA only once a month and that is around the 5th.

Ron

okay here is the email Doug sent to DFAS yesterday. We were out of town today, so he did not get to check his outlook until we got home. (got a home CAC reader) he had one email waiting saying his initial email had been forwarded to the proper office.

He CC'd everyone that we posted email address's for on his email. At around 815 am he received a phone call. A very lengthy phone call. The gentlemen was great. He of course was covering up for the HUGE mistake DFAS made. come to find out Doug's paperwork had NEVER been touched. nothing at all has happened with it. He confirmed it got there the beginning of July and they received everything else signed around the 24th of July. After that nothing. He said it was an oversight and the paperwork was misplaced....

He told Doug that his paperwork would be completed by next Friday at the latest. However, Doug did not stop there, he let the man know he is NOT the only one who's been waiting more than 90 days....HE was actually shaken by that little bombshell. Doug told him more emails or calls would be coming. The man agreed it was not right what was happening.

They discussed the fact that as of August Retirees are still being directed to mail their stuff to New London. That one really had him confused, how the Army does not know....

Anyway, I am going to post the email Doug send yesterday. If anyone would like to contact this gentleman Doug has ask that you email him. Please DO NOT email this man unless you've been waiting more than 90 days. This man has agreed to help, and we do not want to piss him off. He seems to be the poor sap who was stuck with trying to rectify this shitty situation. We need to remember there will be more after us and we all need to have to connections.

Hopefully this will get things moving for everyone here and those who will happen upon this site in the future.

Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 1:10 PM
To: DFAS Cleveland OH HI Mailbox investigation-hotline
Cc: Barber, Charles H Sr LTC USARMY HQDA ASA FM (US); Hanson, Karen S COL USARMY FIN MGT CMD (US); Langfeldtabbott, Sheila M CIV USARMY FIN MGT CMD (US); Schmalfeldt, Gregory SES DFAS JB (US); Blackmon, Dexter J CIV DFAS JFC (US); Hipskind, Patrick B CIV USARMY FIN MGT CMD (US); Hutton, Monica N CIV DFAS JAR (US); Kassenbrock, Emily E CIV DFAS HAB (US); Lindsay, Michael A CIV DFAS JF (US)
Subject: Retired Pay

"CONSENT TO DISCLOSURE"

Sir/Ma'am,

I sincerely apologize for having to bother you but hopefully this message
finds its way to the person that can help me and others who are in the same
position.

I am a recent retiree due to a DoD PDBR and cannot seem to find out why it
is taking so long to get my retired pay account established. My retirement
date is 17 February 2007 and my paperwork (decision signed by the Deputy
Assistant SEC ARMY, orders, DD215, etc.) was submitted to DFAS by the DoD
PDBR in early July. I submitted my DD2656 and supporting information to
DFAS around the24th of July and followed up with a phone call to confirm
receipt. During my initial call to DFAS to check the receipt of my packet,
I was informed that it could take 30-90 days for the account to be
established but that I could call anytime to check on the status. I called
back at the end of August and again in early September. In fact I have
spoken to DFAS several times between 12 September and the date of this email
but am unable to get a straight answer as to when my account would be
completed.

During a call on 26th of September, I was told that my file was in new
accounts but 11 September was the last time it showed any updates/action.
The agent was unsure about where my account was in the process so she
initiated an inquiry and told me to call back in 7 days. On 4 October I
called and there was still no information as to a status. The agent told me
that is was "really a simple process" and didn't know why it was taking so
long. The agent created a "log" or request for update and told me the
Processing Department had 3 days to respond but "doubted I would hear
anything back". According to the agent, "major problems exist within with
that department" and getting them to reply or do their job was "highly
unlikely".

On 11 October I called back as directed and again no information was
available. The agent told me that no action had been taken on my account
and the so called "log" that the Processing Department was supposed to
respond to, was left unanswered. This agent, like the last, indicated that
the Processing Department was inept and "rarely" if ever "complied" with the
request for status updates. She said I should call back in a week to see if
anything has changed. Just for fun I called on again on 12 October and the
agent created another log requesting a status update and told me to call
back in 3 days. This agent, like the others, had no idea as to why no
action has been taken on my account and once again left me with impression
that nothing is being done to process my file. I made one final attempt
today just before sending this message and still no information.

So now I am asking you, why is it taking so long to create an account when I
am already a DoD employee? Why is it that when we owe you money you can
pull it without delay? Why does it seem to be the consensus when I call,
that the Processing Department is full of mismanagement and abuse? Why
hasn't DFAS contacted the VA yet? Are all retiree's getting the same
treatment of just those of us from the PDBR? Is it taking 90 days or longer
to create MG Kent Savre's retirement pay account? (I doubt it)

I am not the only one with this issue. There are innumerable other Vets who
have gone through the PDBR and are getting the same push back; being told
that it may take up to 6 months; the
sad fact is some have been waiting over 6 months already. Granted my case
is different than theirs; I still have severance recoupment being taken by
the VA and will have to be audited before any back pay is issued. However,
from discussions I have had with other Vets in this process I doubt that
will go off without issue; others have been double tapped on recoupment or
told that they aren't receiving back pay because of some "issue" relating to
recoupment or something similar. Regardless, my account should have been
created by now or in the final stages; at the very least there should be
information available to what the status is.

In closing I want you to know that I belong to a forum dedicated to the post
PDBR and this is the number one issue of discussion. Most if not all have
the same story; lost paperwork, no action, getting paid oh wait your account
hasn't been created yet, it will be at least 6 months before you see
anything, sitting on hold forever only to be disconnected, and on, and on,
and on.........excuses but no answers and a different story every time we
call.

I am passing my story along to the others so they may use it for their case
and at some point within the next week contact Senator McCaskill's office to
see if she can help us in some way.

v/r

Mr. Douglas Grogg
Installation Readiness Officer
MSCoE G-3/5
BLDG 3200
FLW MO 65473
OFFICE # 573-563-5530
CELL # 573-201-6407

I would say if you choose to email do it respectfully and accurately. Leave out the emotion and anger. Doug tried his best. lol I also posted the names of who he included in his email. However, at this point maybe the common goal would be to contact the gentleman who called him this morning. Good luck and I will post when we hear something. He is suppose to call Doug with an update this Friday. we shall see. Oh he also told Doug he will have something at the beginning of the month and they will start the audit right after. Which is all he's ask for from the beginning. If you think about it, all of you are NO different than any other retiree, it should not take months to receive your retirement. severance maybe, but not your monthly retirement.

I had a nice surprise about an hour ago. A Mr. Brown called me to discuss a weekly phone call that I made last Thursday. I'll rewind...

After the bombshell conversation I had with DFAS two weeks ago I vented on here moments after hanging up the phone. I pushed the phone call out of my mind for a few days. Then I began to unpack the conversation over the following week and again made my weekly call. This time I unloaded on the employee. I noted that I was fully aware that the ability to change any of what was on the letter was beyond her control. All I wanted her to do was observe portions of the letter with me and if she felt some of my concerns were valid to contact her supervisor, and ask for my information to be reviewed. Furthermore, I wanted a detailed explanation of the mathematics involved. I didn't even want a definitive answer 'yes' or 'no' regarding my back pay. What I wanted was for someone to clearly dissect and properly label all financial information in question, and provide a definition for each credit and deduction. I then pointed out that the document I was given was a shoddy piece of work, and that I was honestly offended by it on a personal level. I was a bit heated, but never disrespectful or vague about my assertions. I asked to speak with her supervisor to ensure that it ran up the tree. After 10 minutes of being on hold I hung up.

I'm about to violate a personal rule I have on public forums. I'm going to talk about who I am in real life. I work for the Government within a branch headquarter in one of the offices of the Secretaries. More clearly, my boss is aligned with the Admin who reports directly to a Secretary. Both the Admin and my boss are in direct contact with me, and what I do for them is very visible--to the point that I am "their guy". If the Joint Chiefs or Sec Def need something done in my wheel house they ALWAYS volunteer me to do it, and frankly, I ALWAYS hit home runs. 10 years and going-- they greatly appreciate what I do.

I was going to go into my boss's office and ask a personal favor, if he could mention something for me at his next weekly with the Secretary. Just a, "...hey you know my guy 'Dusty'... Yeah, well somethings going on at DFAS. They're jacking up medical back pay for veterans pretty badly. It seems pretty serious and he's wrapped up in it..."

I was going to gently put DFAS's issues on blast. But there's more...

...my cousin closely works for the Sec Def... as in daily, "...how are the kids...", "Hahaha" for-real daily. I spoke with her on Saturday and told her about it and she's primed to do a "...hey, do you remember my cousin at HQ that did 'X' a few months ago. Well, I was just talking to him and something's going on at DFAS...".

As, I was actually sitting down to prep my conversation my phone rang. A Mr. Brown called from DFAS and literally addressed everything I mentioned in my phone conversation last week. Also, it looks like they knew the math was wrong, which was why my case was still open. He apologized for the delay and we had a really good conversation and MY math was right. I feel like my issues will be resolved SOON.

I'm not leaving you all in the wind. I'm going have a quick fifteen minute closed door with my boss before I leave today.

Dusty, thanks for the update, and continued care for vets/soldiers. It used to be leave no one behind but that seems to no longer pertain to many in leadership roles at HRC, BCMR, or DFAS. Thier are no repercussions for failures at top levels and leadership makes up the rules as they go..... Both the bcmr and defas agencies have disregarded my congressman and attny...cases that go to defas are pretty much (not) a priority. My BCMR contact basically told me “good luck” when dealing with DFAS...

I had a nice surprise about an hour ago. A Mr. Brown called me to discuss a weekly phone call that I made last Thursday. I'll rewind...

After the bombshell conversation I had with DFAS two weeks ago I vented on here moments after hanging up the phone. I pushed the phone call out of my mind for a few days. Then I began to unpack the conversation over the following week and again made my weekly call. This time I unloaded on the employee. I noted that I was fully aware that the ability to change any of what was on the letter was beyond her control. All I wanted her to do was observe portions of the letter with me and if she felt some of my concerns were valid to contact her supervisor, and ask for my information to be reviewed. Furthermore, I wanted a detailed explanation of the mathematics involved. I didn't even want a definitive answer 'yes' or 'no' regarding my back pay. What I wanted was for someone to clearly dissect and properly label all financial information in question, and provide a definition for each credit and deduction. I then pointed out that the document I was given was a shoddy piece of work, and that I was honestly offended by it on a personal level. I was a bit heated, but never disrespectful or vague about my assertions. I asked to speak with her supervisor to ensure that it ran up the tree. After 10 minutes of being on hold I hung up.

I'm about to violate a personal rule I have on public forums. I'm going to talk about who I am in real life. I work for the Government within a branch headquarter in one of the offices of the Secretaries. More clearly, my boss is aligned with the Admin who reports directly to a Secretary. Both the Admin and my boss are in direct contact with me, and what I do for them is very visible--to the point that I am "their guy". If the Joint Chiefs or Sec Def need something done in my wheel house they ALWAYS volunteer me to do it, and frankly, I ALWAYS hit home runs. 10 years and going-- they greatly appreciate what I do.

I was going to go into my boss's office and ask a personal favor, if he could mention something for me at his next weekly with the Secretary. Just a, "...hey you know my guy 'Dusty'... Yeah, well somethings going on at DFAS. They're jacking up medical back pay for veterans pretty badly. It seems pretty serious and he's wrapped up in it..."

I was going to gently put DFAS's issues on blast. But there's more...

...my cousin closely works for the Sec Def... as in daily, "...how are the kids...", "Hahaha" for-real daily. I spoke with her on Saturday and told her about it and she's primed to do a "...hey, do you remember my cousin at HQ that did 'X' a few months ago. Well, I was just talking to him and something's going on at DFAS...".

As, I was actually sitting down to prep my conversation my phone rang. A Mr. Brown called from DFAS and literally addressed everything I mentioned in my phone conversation last week. Also, it looks like they knew the math was wrong, which was why my case was still open. He apologized for the delay and we had a really good conversation and MY math was right. I feel like my issues will be resolved SOON.

I'm not leaving you all in the wind. I'm going have a quick fifteen minute closed door with my boss before I leave today.

Oh, Dusty, you had me rolling out of seat today at work. :) :) As someone who does IT customer service, you have to always remember, you never know who you are dealing with on the other side of the phone and make it your priority to help and assist the issue until it is resolved.
I have been speaking to some individuals at DFAS was told that our retirement (PDBR) takes a whole different type of process. It is levels upon levels to do our accounts correctly, ( which is ONLY a TWO MAN TEAM) similar to how they do the review board. He did state that he going to forward my email and assist that they are some training done with the call center, so they can better address our situation and not leaves us in limbo after each phone call.
He also stated that he will be seeing what he can do to get all the agencies the right mailing address because I informed him that was half of the problem. I am hoping with all these complaints coming from different directions, they will take the time to really address these issues that are plaguing us.

So I had a nice phone call with DFAS, audit is done and I will be receiving retro. Awaiting my letter or deposit to see exactly how much. I was told around $20k-$30k before taxes.
I was also told that they will recoup ALL of the severance even if it was taxed. I think that’s why my retro is low. So even though I paid my severance in full, they will recoup the FULL amount.
Will share more later.

So I had a nice phone call with DFAS, audit is done and I will be receiving retro. Awaiting my letter or deposit to see exactly how much. I was told around $20k-$30k before taxes.
I was also told that they will recoup ALL of the severance even if it was taxed. I think that’s why my retro is low. So even though I paid my severance in full, they will recoup the FULL amount.
Will share more later.

Did you call DFAS or did they reach out to you?

Those of us in this current bunch of late payouts, I hope this closes out our long... LONG... LONG saga.

I got an email from DFAS last night telling me to log in to see my "new updated RAS" and other details. The RAS is dated yesterday and it says 01NOV for my repayments...

....not holding my breath, but it's in the system for me to see. Every penny there in digits on my screen. It looks like they'll have to split my repayment into a few different deposits due to the amount. Again, not holding my breath...

...BUT, I was informed that the deposits will hit my account in rapid succession over several days. The first deposit being the smallest amount and the rest will follow at the maximum deposit amounts allowable by DFAS. Sounds backwards to me -- I'll let it ride at this point. I was also promised a detailed accounting worksheet of their official "calculations" in the regular mail "sometime soon" as well. If I do get it, I'll come back and try to answer a few questions.

We'll see how this goes. I didn't realize how right I was when I said "It's all over, except for the yellin'.", a few months ago.

I've had so much time to think about this that the money is pretty much accounted for. Half goes to retirement, and the other half gets put to work between my wife's new business and my own new business.

ALSO... Please remember to fill out a form DD-149 after you get repaid, if you get a lump repayment they deduct past SBP payments automatically. You have to submit the 149 to get this money back if you want it. My wife and I don't want SBP, and we were never given the protection of it had I passed away prior to filing my DD2526. I was informed that "they" refund it 99% of the time if you ask, because none of us were ever properly counseled at any portion of our discharge. They know you were never counseled, but you have to specifically tell them you weren't and ask for the refund-- Typical. [eyeroll]... uh oh, My soapbox, PLEASE...

Quick gripe... All of the talk that gets pounded into our heads while in the service, to" do the right thing" no matter what. And in the end, the system takes every dodge and cut, at every opportunity, to grift us. They could have simply contacted us, asked for permission to examine our records, put our info into an automated accounting system, and repay us. Instead, virtually all of us heard about this via word of mouth from "some guy", filled out paperwork, waited for YEARS, and if we get OK'd -- we then have to play round-after-round of 3-Card-Monte with DFAS to get our money. Oh... then fill out some more paperwork to get back the portion they skimmed off the top while getting repayed. Shame.

Welp... Enough from me. I think this is where I hop off. It looks like my stop is coming up. I just want to say....

Best wishes to everyone dealing with this. I hope you all get what you're due, and I hope it empowers you to become your next, better, stronger self. And, thank you all in this community for being brothers and sisters to each other throughout this process from front to back. We're all in this together and it's good to be reminded that the bond between us is real.

Lock arms and keep on. The only way through is straight through.

=- DUSTY -=

Last edited:
With the PDBR and Combat Tax Act, I can't be the only veteran to think of hiring an attorney for a class action lawsuit. We aren't even getting interest added on to the money they owe us, BUT you best be damn sure if we owe any money they want it RIGHT NOW with interest. There has to be an attorney or firm that sees this as a jackpot for all of us, them included.

With the PDBR and Combat Tax Act, I can't be the only veteran to think of hiring an attorney for a class action lawsuit. . .

Class action lawsuits don't pay anyone except the attorneys who file it, and they take no less than 6 years from launch to payment. Claimants are then lucky to get $100 each after the law firm takes their 30%-40% off the top. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we signed away the right to a lawsuit at some point.

I was also promised a detailed accounting worksheet of their official "calculations" in the regular mail "sometime soon" as well. If I do get it, I'll come back and try to answer a few questions.

=- DUSTY -=

So I am super curious how the worksheet goes and what all they compensate you for. Primarily because I am curious about Base, BX and commissary privileges. I don't see how they can ever repay us for those services we have been denied for the last decade+ but I am curious if they even attempt it