MEB/PEB Wondering What to do? Please Help

EricH5470

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have been in the Army NG since Oct 2005.
Deployed to Iraq 2008-2009.
Two weeks before actual MOB (while on Active Duty Orders), I was hospitalized with pneumonia pretty bad. Recovered in a week and a half from that and managed to deploy with my unit to Iraq.
While in Iraq (about month 6 of the deployment), I was flown to Germany for possible heart attack diagnosed with all sorts of stuff from sleep apnea to chronic ankle sprains. From Germany, I went back and finished my tour in Iraq.
Came home Was rated with the VA at 60% including sleep apnea. Possible increase in rating here pretty soon for some other back issues which are service connected.
I collect VA disability instead of E-4 drill pay.
The commander decided since my back issues were so bad now that he was going to Medboard me and needed me to re-up for 1 year so they could complete the medboard process because he thought I was due an disability retirement. The end of the contract will ETS me in November 2012.
The Commanders of our unit (3 in the last 7 years), MSG and 1sg all have excellent comments about my performance while in the Army.
None the less, the Commanders Letter for MRDP was an awesome one as far as the MRDP physician was concerned. Yet, the physician told me that although the VA rated me for sleep apnea, the Army more than likely will try to blame it on the pneumonia I had 2 weeks before deployment. The physician assigned me a deadmans profile (333111and referred me to PDES MEB where my packet is sitting in the MTF awaiting to be sent to wherever they send it to for review.

I am contemplating to just let my contract expire (which I think will just end the MEB process) instead of risking losing the majority of what I have?... If so, Should I tell my Liason of my intentions or, just let him figure it out when it happens?

Eric

you only have something to gain with a MEB/PEB so do not end the process.

The other reason I am contemplating on just ETSing on out is because even if I were to get something from the MEB/PEB process for everything or most everything, I would have to pay the VA back for what I received. So, for example ( if I were to get a seperation pay of (lets say maybe $20k), The VA would have to deduct that anyway from my disability pay in which I already receive.until I have paid the 20k back. Then my regular disability payments would continue from there.

So, what would be the benefit of an disability retirement?

Eric

So, essentially, this is like going backward in the process..... VA first the MEB/PEB..... where it should normally be MEP/PEB then on to the VA rating???

What you have to gain is potentially a military retirement; Tricare, base privileges, etc. You also have a new round of VA exams that could boost your current VA ratings.

I understand your severance(loan) concerns and they're justified. However, the pros out way the cons. In the end you make out better either way. Keep in mind if you are/were to receive severance, it might not have to be repaid.

My concern is (although, I have LODs for it all) that the Army blames my sleep apnea on the pneumonia and says that it is not combat related. They report that to the VA, and I lose 50% of 60%. Now I cant work because of my back problems and only receiving 10% to live on. Currently there is no need for Tricare. Because, Since I am over 50% service connected, the VA pays for 100% of my prescriptions, and medical care related to my service connections. My child support is over in January so, dependent insurance wont be needed. Also, since I am over 50% service connected, the VA also pays 100% of my college tuition through Voc Rehab up to a bachelors degree (Information Technology), and I receive a check from them because they are cashing out on my GI Bill for me. But, if the Army says it is not combat related, then I lose it all.

Also, I wont have any need to go on base. What am I gonna do??... Go on base and wave to all my comrades from my air conditioned truck while they are out humping their butts in the heat setting up towers, radios, and satellite dishes and running PT?......lol
Unless base privileges can set me up with a place to stay if I move to another state and build a house so I have someplace to stay while I am building it... or go on vacation and stay on base?
And the PX privileges arent all that great here because, the PX sure isnt any cheaper than buying from the stores in the civilian world.

Eric

Your 50% from the VA for sleep apnea wouldn't be lost. It may or may not be considered combat related, but it remains service connected since it's already being paid as such; in essence proven. Tricare gives you more options with your own healthcare then the VA. Also, if you were to have dependents in the future they would be covered.

Base privileges extend to Space A as well.

I don't know??.... I am probably just getting paranoid from what the physician said to me. Ever since I came home from Iraq, I have a tendency to get paranoid a lot. yet the doc I talked to about it at the VA says its just a personal adjustment disorder and it should go away.Yet I think it is from constantly getting the shaft by the Army on everything (promotion, medals, pay ... on and on and on...lol). I guess thats what they mean by Drink water and drive on... and... hurry up and wait...lol

Eric

You should be aware if your are in MEB/PEB and your ETS comes up, you can not ETS, you have to extend until the process is complete. That way if the PEB finds you fit, then you can ETS immediately, or if they find you unfit you still have free medical care until you finally retire. You won't have to reenlist for a year just to MEB.

About your % that you have rated already, the VA rates you not the DoD they already rated you and may or most likely not relook at that rating as long as you have kept up on meds and treatments with them. You will not lose Voc Rehab. You have to have a minimum of 10% disability through the VA to receive the benefits. It does not have to be combate related. Go to VetSuccess.gov and you will see... Talk to your VR&E counselor about your concerns!

Please, before you throw yourself into an anxiety attack, write your thought down. Take a deep breath. Associate what your concern is about with a medical question or the VA. Then look up your question on the all mighty Google search, and most likely your question can be answered! (usually every question/answer is on this site) This is what I do, because I have a mild-moderate case of anxiety disorder!

Yeah you are probably right, Because I normally get worked up to where my hypertension/blood pressure gets way up there, and I have to take a nitro and go lay down or, I start getting nauseated and/or chest pains like I did in Iraq. Last time it got up there was at drill, and the unit had to take me to the emergency room where they measured my BP at 210/140 (stroke level). After that, the VA upped my Blood Pressure meds. My family says I tend to get a disgruntled personality during those times also.

OK, now that I have gotten some rest, I can think straight again. Actually, I should not have said (combat related) because none of it is rated as combate related. Yet I should have stated Service Connected.

Eric

I wonder what Jason or Sgt Bob thinks?

The MRDP physician wasnt the only one that told me I could lose what I had. My RNCO tld me that also.

I have lost out on a lot in the Army on so many different occasions on stuff that I was told otherwise by my leadership, that I really dont think that I want the MEB/PEB. I think that I want to just sit tight for a while and ETS on out.

Since my packet is stuck at MTF, The MEB has not been initiated yet except for being referred to MEB/PEB by MRDP.

You have nothing to lose and potential to gain benefits or compensation by going through MEB/PEB. Others have mentioned the normal benefits. There may also be state tax (including property taxes, license "taxes"/fees) benefits by being retired by the military. Or, maybe it makes sense/is an advantage if you are only separated with a finding your condition was incurred in a combat zone (which would curtail recoupment of VA monies and leave you with a check). Hard to say what is better (I always tend to think retirement is better, but in some cases separation is better). Bottom line, you can do no worse with going through the process and you may do better.

Wow, I just read my last statement I posted.... It sounds like a scene from the movie Renaissance Man... with all the acronyms...lol

Does anyone know what the chances are they will do anything with MEB before my ETS? I ETS in November, my packet is still sitting at the MTF right now. MRDP interview was in late April where they said they were going to refer me to PDES MEB. I have already been transferred to the Med Hold unit.
If not, am I going to have to sign another 1 year extension or is it automatic?

Eric