Medical records missing for 2 1/2 years, now they are getting pieces together

Roxyewp

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My husband was discharged (Medically retired) in 4-2008. He returned home and in order to file a claim we requested his medical records and found out that they were lost/ misplaced. We have now contacted the individual bases overseas and electronic versions of the medical records are being printed out and sent to us. After almost 3 years of waiting, we might actually be able to put in a valid Service Connected disability claim through the VA. We will have submitted all information to the Chicago VA office to make a determination by the end of FEB. Any idea how long the determination process takes? Also, his original claim was put in for months after he came home, but was denied. Will he be back-paid from the date on the original claim, or the new claim?

My husband was discharged (Medically retired) in 4-2008. He returned home and in order to file a claim we requested his medical records and found out that they were lost/ misplaced. We have now contacted the individual bases overseas and electronic versions of the medical records are being printed out and sent to us. After almost 3 years of waiting, we might actually be able to put in a valid Service Connected disability claim through the VA. We will have submitted all information to the Chicago VA office to make a determination by the end of FEB. Any idea how long the determination process takes? Also, his original claim was put in for months after he came home, but was denied. Will he be back-paid from the date on the original claim, or the new claim?

You question is unclear or you answered your own question? Depends on the type of denial (I beleive), also has it been with in the 1 year since discharge (I'm thinking it is not)?

For everyone else: Start coping your records 1 year before you get out. Or heck even every few years.

What I mean't was , we have until the end of February to submit all medical records that we wish to be taken into consideration. Once we have given them everything we wish for them to have, how long do they, the VA, have to make a determination for my husband?

Also, His first claim which was put in, 4 month after discharge was denied and closed. We are working to re-open it. It was denied because there was no medical evidence included with the claim. We originally used AMVETS, we were told by our new VSO that our AMVETS representative is not a good service officer for our area, and that he will work to fix it. I am wondering what the date of back pay will be if this claim goes through.

I hope I am a little more clear this time. After a while all the info just gets jumbled together.

There is no time limit on their decision making process. If the claim is open or re-opened, the date of payment will be the date of the original claim (or perhaps back until the day after discharge). It really depends on the procedural posture of the claim. You said it was closed, so I assume you did not appeal? If you did, then it should be retro to date after claim. I am not sure if you submitted a new claim, or are at the appeal stage of the first claim, or you successfully re-opened the initial claim.