PDRL DOD increased

Surfee818

Registered Member
My husband medically retired 2 years ago from the army after 21 years. He was rated at 100 VA and 50 DOD. he does receive concurrent pay since his injuries are combat related. He got a new 199 last week which puts him on PDRL and has DOD Changed to 100. We think this means that his DOD check will increase to 75% of his AD abase pay. Is that correct? Anyone have any experience? Also, will it be retroactive? Thanks so much In advance.

If he is rated at 100 DoD, he will be receiving 75% of his AD pay. Can’t tell about retroactive Pay.

The way concurrent receipt is calculated it is not really 75% DoD plus VA. There are caps that come into play. Use the retirement calculator on the DFAS website.

The way concurrent receipt is calculated it is not really 75% DoD plus VA. There are caps that come into play. Use the retirement calculator on the DFAS website.

This is what I was thinking too. I can’t find any other posts about the DOD rating going up when moving to the permanent list.

AD base pay is close, but not quite accurate. It is retired base pay that matters, which is the average of the high 36 months of base pay.

The calculation turns on his retired base pay (and the caps that @chaplaincharlie mentioned- which is 2.5% times years of active federal service).

My husband medically retired 2 years ago from the army after 21 years. He was rated at 100 VA and 50 DOD. he does receive concurrent pay since his injuries are combat related. He got a new 199 last week which puts him on PDRL and has DOD Changed to 100. We think this means that his DOD check will increase to 75% of his AD abase pay. Is that correct? Anyone have any experience? Also, will it be retroactive? Thanks so much In advance.
1. You indicated your husband received a Chapter 61 retirement (disability) and he also had 20 years active duty (inferred on my part). You also indicated that he received "concurrent pay" because he his injuries were combat related. Note: That sentence could mean CRDP or CRSC (explained below), as one is Concurrent Receipt and the other Combat Related.

2. His retired pay will be computed using one of two methods:
--his disability percentage (using a minimum of 50 percent for payment purposes while on the TDRL), referred to as Method A,
or
--his years of active service, referred to as Method B.

I suspect his pay will be determined through method A @ 75%

3. As a Chapter 61 retiree, he will have to waive/lose retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.
--If he is to receive CRDP which restores some or all of waived retired pay, he will have a restoration of pay not to exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of his retired pay (i.e., active duty years x 2.5% x high three ave base pay). CRDP does not restore waived disability pay (that portion of pay that exceeds the longevity portion of retired pay)
--If he is to receive Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC), he will waive retired pay as described above and approved CRSC will replace (rather than restore) the lesser of
a. Dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay
or
b. the CRSC rate/percentage approved by his service. The value of the rate approved by his service (upon application) will be found in the VA compensation tables (e.g., if 50% and no dependents, you would search for "50%, veteran alone." That amount is $855.41. Just an example.)

The CRSC described above would be reduced by any residual (left over) retired pay after the VA offset/waiver.

Thanks Ron. The offset is what drew my question initially. I expect that one of his checks(DOD) will go up slightly from the current ~3000, but that the VA check that he receives to go down a bit to make up for it...essentially keeping him right about ~6000 per month total.

Thanks Ron. The offset is what drew my question initially. I expect that one of his checks(DOD) will go up slightly from the current ~3000, but that the VA check that he receives to go down a bit to make up for it...essentially keeping him right about ~6000 per month total.
The VA compensation will not decrease. If he was rated 100% by the VA previously, the new DoD rate does not affect that rating. "VA Offset" concerns the reduction of retired pay based on the amount of VA compensation received (there are other scenarios, but I am speaking of Chapter 61 retirements here).

His gross DoD disability retired pay will increase based on your information. However, the amount of waiver/offset might increase as well. Chapter 61 retirees must waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. Since his VA compensation is inferred to be at least 100%, Veteran and Spouse Rate, that is >=$3000. So... there is at least a $3K waiver of retired pay involved based on the other information available here.

The effect of CRDP or CRSC was outlined earlier.

Good luck,