Question for Jason

dougcarey568

PEB Forum Regular Member
I was also diagnosed with asthma Nov 9 2009.i Had a FEV of 2.85 wich is 69 % of predicted .I use 4 puffs of Flovent every day and use Ibuteral as a rescue inhalor wich i probaly use once a day.from what i have read on this forum Asthma is a VASRD code 6602 and because i use the inhalors every day the outcome will probaly be TDRL.
I was TDY at FT leonard wood mar-jul 2008 at school and came down with pnemonia and was put on quarters after that i was never the same phisicaly.I spent 5 years in the ARMY and was in a combat support maintenance unit, we ran probaly 5-6 miles for pt and this was never a problem for me.I have always been a runner and never had problems with pt before.
I am in the Air National Guard although i was on active duty title 10 orders (operation Iraqi freedom ) when I was diagnosed with asthma. My profile says that I am not deployable and cannot run more than 0.1 miles I have been told that because of mf AFSC 3E2X concrete and asphalt repair and heavy equipment and am not deployable i WILL be found unfit.even though my commander wrote a letter stating that my asthma has in no way interferrd with my ability to perform my duties (although my asthma has gotten worse since the letter was written)I also recived an atr force acheivment medal for going to Hawaii ans Isreal ih the last year but being non deployable the acheivements dont mean anything.
My PCM called me in her office Dec 2 2009 and told me that my reecords were going to be fast tracked thru the MEB process .The next day she called me and told me that my records could not be fasttracked because of my AFSC.My package (medical records)were sent off to AFPC at Randolph was sent off Dec.9 th 2009 i have been told that it will be April 2010 before we now anything.
I have 14 years in service and my intention was to do 20+ years and retire , although regular retirement is not probably not gonna happen , if the final outcome is TDRL then atleast i will retire medically and acheive my goal of retirement .
I have learned alot from this forum reading the threads of others.I have also learned that you have to learn all you can in order to look out for your best interest because the Air Force aint going to look out for you i have also learned to expect the worst outcome but pray for the best outcome.It sounds like my outcome will be found unfit and at the VASRD code 6602 (the way I understand it ) it says that the daily use of steroids and an FEV of 51%-69% should be rated at a 30% bt the Department of Defence I talked to the VA rep here and was told that the VA and DOD are two seperate entities and the VA usually rates asthma higher than 30 %.
My questions are:
Since my case could not be fasttracked does this mean my records were sent to the IPEB ?
Do i understand this VASRD code and disabilty ratings correct ?
Will the letter from my commander affrect the decision of the board ?
Lastly the VA told me that it would take atleast 3 months to file my paperwork for benefits , do you know how long i will have from the time my pakage comes back to the time i am seperated? I was told 90 days from my PEBLO but he seems like he is not to sure about it .
Thank you