Severance Pay Tax Return Question

dsgordon33

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am wondering if anyone has received their severance pay tax back during the same calendar year they received it. I have the sample cover letters of what I need to FAX DFAS. Every time I try and fax the documents they are requesting, it says it’s a bad fax #.The number I have is 317-275-0248. Can someone please let me know if they have a different way to get them the requested forms or if they have a new number that is good for faxing. THANK YOU!!!

1542143059109.png

Do you think I should scan or fax it? It’s coming down to the end of the year so im on such a short time frame. I heard dealing with the IRS and your W2 is a lot harder then going through DFAS. Thank you.

I tried faxing it today with that highlighted fax number and it still did not work. I tried another fax machine and then I ordered a a fax number online. Both did not go through. Could you give me some advice on what to do? Thank you.

I have not studied this subject and I have not seen a copy of the letter sent by the IRS (on behalf of DFAS) that pertains to 130,000 + veterans. However, the information at the linked pages (including IRS) below indicate the “claim” should submitted as follows:
Complete and mail IRS Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, for the year you received Disability Severance Pay, along with a copy of this letter (IRS), to the IRS’s Kansas City address at:

Internal Revenue Service
333 W. Pershing Street, Stop 6503, P5
Kansas City, MO 64108

Added: A copy of the letter (just located) shown in the next post shows the IRS instructions should be followed for the refund.

Information on this subject:

1. DFAS https://www.dfas.mil/dsp_irs

2. Military Times https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-benefits/2018/07/16/big-tax-refunds-coming-for-130000-veterans-2/

3. IRS https://www.irs.gov/individuals/mil...-tax-fairness-act-claim-information-available
AND
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/military/filing-amended-returns-for-combat-injured-disabled-veterans

Good luck,
Ron

Last edited:
1542196425369.jpeg

My two posts that precede this one pertain to the 130,000+ veterans who received letters concerning severance pay tax refunds for certain years.

I overlooked the fact you are interested in obtaining a refund in the same calendar year the tax was paid.

DFAS provides guidance on that issue at https://www.dfas.mil/debtandclaims/submitclaim.html
“If you paid taxes on your disability severance pay, you could be due a refund. A refund is awarded in the same calendar year in which a military member received disability severance pay. To obtain a refund from us you must submit the following documents to us before December 15th if the year in which the disability severance pay was paid...“

Recommend you call the following number for additional info: 866-912-6488 (provided by chaplaincharlie earlier)

TurboTax offered this last year: “You can get the money back from DFAS if you act in time. You do this by calling the Separation and Reenlistment Division at commercial 317-510-7731/7027/6129/6142. However, this can ONLY be done before 31 December in the year you receive the severance payment, but no sooner than 20 business days of receiving payment.” The telephone numbers might be useful if the 866-922-6488 number does not work or is continually busy.

Ron

Last edited:
That is an excellent link for filing an IRS 1040X.

However, the veteran’s situation involves “ same calendar year”. A 1040X amends a tax return for a prior year; evidentially, his severance pay was paid in 2018 and he is attempting to repair the situation without going through the IRS as discussed above.

Ron

Here is the link for same year recoupment:

https://www.dfas.mil/debtandclaims/submitclaim.html

It’s the last option to submit a claim if within the same CY you received your severance pay.

I separated 27Nov. I submitted my ticket 10Dec and they closed it 14Dec saying their records show I wasn’t separated yet and have not recieved my final pay (paycheck+severance $). I recieved that money on 28Nov. -_-

I separated from the Army Guard in June and received this same letter a couple months ago. I immediately used the askDFAS link to submit my separation orders, VA award letter and NGB-22 form. The first response I got was that the NGB form 22 was not acceptable since it is not a DD 214, to which I responde that the NGB 22 is the same as a DD214 for Guardsmen, and that DD 214s are only for servicemembers separated from active duty....

Anyways, I just received a notice today, fully a month after I responded, that a CMS ticket (?) has been created and I should wait at least 20 days for it to be resolved. I have no idea what a CMS ticket is, but I hope they have more well informed staff than askDFAS.

I separated from the Army Guard in June and received this same letter a couple months ago. I immediately used the askDFAS link to submit my separation orders, VA award letter and NGB-22 form. The first response I got was that the NGB form 22 was not acceptable since it is not a DD 214, to which I responde that the NGB 22 is the same as a DD214 for Guardsmen, and that DD 214s are only for servicemembers separated from active duty....

Anyways, I just received a notice today, fully a month after I responded, that a CMS ticket (?) has been created and I should wait at least 20 days for it to be resolved. I have no idea what a CMS ticket is, but I hope they have more well informed staff than askDFAS.
Stay on them like a fly to a rotting corpse. Call every monday and friday inquiring about an update.

Stay on them like a fly to a rotting corpse. Call every monday and friday inquiring about an update.
I will do my best, but this close to the holidays, Civil Service workplaces basically shut down with skeleton crews. At least that's my experience working for the government. I remain cautiously optimistic however.

It is sad that an element that should have enough expertise to differentiate between a DD 214 and NGB form 22, cannot do so.

Sounds like additional training is needed. The fact that NGB 22 is used by the Guard is not esoteric.

Ron

It is sad that an element that should have enough expertise to differentiate between a DD 214 and NGB form 22, cannot do so.

Sounds like additional training is needed. The fact that NGB 22 is used by the Guard is not esoteric.

Ron
After going through the air force MEB process and now fighting this DFAS process I’m shocked ANY money moves in the timelines in which they do.

The level of incompetence from every level...every entity mind you “subject matter experts” in the process is MIND-BLOWING.

But at least this is getting me (and “us”) ready for the VA :)