Should I submit a package or not?

octoberfest

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I’m currently trying to decide whether or not to submit a package to have the PDBR board review my case. The only problem is that I do not know where to start short of providing them with the DD-294 and my initial VA rating letter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a quick overview of my military background. I joined the United States Marines Corps (USMC) in 1994. I was promoted to SSGT (E6) in 2001. In 2003 I got really sick and ended up with pneumonia. After that I couldn’t seem to catch my breath and had zero energy. After months of testing the military doctors finally realized that I had scar tissue in my lungs from the infection due to pneumonia and now I had adult onset of asthma as well. I fought it for about a year, not wanting to get out since I had already done just about half of my time required before retirement and I was now in the promotion zone for GYSGT (E7). Long story short I found myself in the emergency room on several occasions not being able to breath and requiring doctor administered breathing treatments in order to open my lungs up. In March of 2004 I was medically discharged with a rating of 10% (VA Code 6602)from the Marine Corps for Asthma. Once I left the Marine Corps I filed for disability with the VA and my initial rating for asthma with the VA was 30% for the same VA Code of 6602. My inintial letter from the VA was received on October 04, 2004 with a "Payment Start Date" of May 01, 2004. All the other broken “equipment” on my body has brought me up to 80% total with the VA but from what I understand none of that will be taken into consideration with the PBDR.

So I personally think that the chances of me getting retired are just about non-existent but my local VA rep is pushing me to do this because he thinks there is a good chance I’d be retired.
Can anyone provide me with any advice on this?
Thanks,
Octoberfest

Well, here we are...four months later and I just got a letter from the Secretary of the Navy stating the following:

"Separation from the Naval service due to physical disability rated at 30 percent (increased from 10 percent) with transfer to the Permanent Disability Retired List effective 31 March 2004."

I take it this is a good thing right? ;)...

Congratulations! Yes, I would say that counts as a good thing. Will make you eligible for retiree benefits including, probably most valuable benefit, TriCare for you and eligible dependents. Glad to see you fought this and won!