SSDI spouse and child benefit

jdjohnson

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Can someone explain how SSDI benefit is calculated for spouse and children. I have read the ssa.gov website about the dependent gets 50% of the benefit but the family max is 150% to 180%. Can someone give there interpretation or if you are receiving the benefit could you explain. Below is an example of how I interpret the rule.

For example say my SSDI benefit is 1280.

My benefit = $1280
Spouse =50% of 1280 = $640
Child 1 = 50% of 1280 = $640
Child 2 = 50% of 1280 = $640

So the benefit paid would total (1280 + 640 + 640 + 640) $3200 a month

IS THAT CORRECT?

That has been my interpretation for quite awhile but recently I saw a different interpretation which makes the monthly payment at least half of what I came up with.

Thanks

JDJohnson I have no answer for that. I do know that the forum has a thread that covers SSDI only. You may find the answer there. I do not know the link.

SSDI is tricky and Im still trying to get mine.

Can someone explain how SSDI benefit is calculated for spouse and children. I have read the ssa.gov website about the dependent gets 50% of the benefit but the family max is 150% to 180%. Can someone give there interpretation or if you are receiving the benefit could you explain. Below is an example of how I interpret the rule.

For example say my SSDI benefit is 1280.

My benefit = $1280
Spouse =50% of 1280 = $640
Child 1 = 50% of 1280 = $640
Child 2 = 50% of 1280 = $640

So the benefit paid would total (1280 + 640 + 640 + 640) $3200 a month

IS THAT CORRECT?

That has been my interpretation for quite awhile but recently I saw a different interpretation which makes the monthly payment at least half of what I came up with.

Thanks

In my opinion, SSA SSDI compensation would be calculated as follows:

For example, my SSDI benefit is $1280.00.

My SSDI benefit = $1280.00
My SSDI family benefit = $640.00. This is the maximum SSDI benefit allowance authorized for dependents by SSA. This benefit amount is equally distributed to the total number of dependents as follows:

Spouse authorized 33% of 50% allowance = $213.00
Child 1 authorized 33% of 50% allowance = $213.00
Child 2 authorized 33% of 50% allowance = $213.00
Total authorized SSDI family benefit allowance = $640.00

With that all said, the total SSDI benefit paid is $1280.00 + $213.00 + $213.00 + $213.00 = $1920.00 per month. :)

Thus, possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer.

Best Wishes!

My SSDI family benefit = $640.00. This is the maximum SSDI benefit allowance authorized for dependents by SSA. This benefit amount is equally distributed to the total number of dependents as follows:

With that all said, the total SSDI benefit paid is $1280.00 + $213.00 + $213.00 + $213.00 = $1920.00 per month. :)

Best Wishes!

The way you have explained is the other way I have heard it explained. Thank you for the response

Best Wishes!

The way you have explained is the other way I have heard it explained. Thank you for the response

You are welcome; no worries...it's all good! :)

Best Wishes!

I just got dod 70 and va 100 does that make it easy to get ssdi?

Well, that's a loaded question. By that I mean, SSA's SSDI is an "all" or "none" based total disability program, unlike the DoVA which compensates for numerous medical conditions which may not be totally disabling.

The SSA uses a GRID of Rules if a disability applicant doesn't meet a medical impairment listing. The GRIDs are set up as a series of charts which can be confusing. SSA will make a determination on what level of exertion you can perform at in a work environment. The categories are from least level of exertion to most: sedentary, light, medium, and heavy. The SSA GRID of rules calculate when an applicant is disabled as based on age, RFC level (sedentary, light, medium, or heavy work), education level, and work history and skills.

To that extent, I suggest that you visit the follows resources to obtain detailed information about the SSA disability evaluations and SSA SSDI GRID of rules:

1. http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-app-p02.htm

2. http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.com/grid_rules.html

3. http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/

Best Wishes!

I just got dod 70 and va 100 does that make it easy to get ssdi?

Well, that's a loaded question. By that I mean, SSA's SSDI is an "all" or "none" based total disability program, unlike the DoVA which compensates for numerous medical conditions which may not be totally disabling.

The SSA uses a GRID of Rules if a disability applicant doesn't meet a medical impairment listing. The GRIDs are set up as a series of charts which can be confusing. SSA will make a determination on what level of exertion you can perform at in a work environment. The categories are from least level of exertion to most: sedentary, light, medium, and heavy. The SSA GRID of rules calculate when an applicant is disabled as based on age, RFC level (sedentary, light, medium, or heavy work), education level, and work history and skills.

To that extent, I suggest that you visit the follows resources to obtain detailed information about the SSA disability evaluations and SSA SSDI GRID of rules:

1. http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-app-p02.htm

2. http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.com/grid_rules.html

3. http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/

Best Wishes!

UPDATE#1:

Moreover, the SSA GRID of rules makes it extremely difficult to obtain a "disable" determination for individuals under 50 years old. Mostly, every individual I know less than 50 years old were not approved for SSDI. This determination doesn't mean anything, but it's just my observation.

Best Wishes!

Here's another way to view it. I receive $1117 a month SSDI for just me. When my kids were added I was told my family max is 1675. So I get $1117 and $558 goes to my 3 children, split evenly is $186 each.

Family Cap: 1675
My benefit: -1117
Family Benefit: 558

Your family cap is determined by how long you worked and how much you paid into SS.

Here's another way to view it. I receive $1117 a month SSDI for just me. When my kids were added I was told my family max is 1675. So I get $1117 and $558 goes to my 3 children, split evenly is $186 each.

Your family cap is determined by how long you worked and how much you paid into SS.

Exactly...:)

Best Wishes!

So I used the calculator on the ssa.gov website and it gave me my disability benefit. It said my SSDI benefit is 1340 and my family max is 2498. So if I was awarded SSDI I would be awarded 2500 the family max.

My benefit =1340
Spouse = 386
Child 1 = 386
Child 2 = 386
Entire benefit = 2498

Is that correct? My big question is since I have 2 children and a spouse do I automatically get my family max.

So I used the calculator on the ssa.gov website and it gave me my disability benefit. It said my SSDI benefit is 1340 and my family max is 2498. So if I was awarded SSDI I would be awarded 2500 the family max.

My benefit =1340
Spouse = 386
Child 1 = 386
Child 2 = 386
Entire benefit = 2498

Is that correct? My big question is since I have 2 children and a spouse do I automatically get my family max.

In my opinion and based on the information provided, your calculations are not accurate referencing the spouse, child 1, child 2 and entire benefit amounts.

In retrospect, each family member may be eligible for a monthly benefit of up to 50 percent of your disability rate. However, there is a limit to the amount SSA can pay your family. The total depends on your benefit amount and the number of family members who also qualify on your record. The total varies, but generally the total amount you and your family can receive is about 150 to 180 percent of your disability benefit. If the sum of the benefits payable on your account is greater than the family limit, the benefits to the family members will be reduced proportionately. But, your benefit will not be affected.

Moreover, your SSDI total maximum family amount should be between $2010.00 and $2412.00.
In response to your question, you are only entitled to your specific disability benefit amount. If
certain members of your family qualify for benefits on your record, disability benefits may be paid to them. If any of your qualified family members apply for benefits, the SSA will ask for their Social Security numbers and their birth certificates. If your spouse applies for benefits, the SSA will ask for proof of marriage, and dates of prior marriages, if applicable.

With that all said, the total maximum SSDI benefit paid would be $1340.00 + $223.00 + $223.00 + $223.00 equaling $2010.00 per month as based on the 150% rate. Due to extraordinary circumstances, SSA may grant up to the maximum 180% rate which calculates as $1340.00 + $357.00 + $357.00 + $357.00 equaling $2412.00.

Best Wishes!

Do the spouse and children also receive medicare benefits? I am looking for a way to get healthcare for them that isn't breaking the bank...

It is my understanding that they are covered by Medicare. I'm not going by personal experience though so I could be wrong.

Do the spouse and children also receive medicare benefits? I am looking for a way to get healthcare for them that isn't breaking the bank...
You'd have to look at Medicaid or other state run programs. Only the disabled worker is entitled to Medicare under the SSA.

In my circumstance only the disabled person (myself) is entitled to Medicare. Part A (hospitalizations) is automatic and Part B (Medical Insurance) can be waived if you wish.

It is pointless to retain the part b while you are still on active duty, however you MUST enroll in part b at retirement if you want to keep your TRICARE for LIFE

In reference to TRICARE For Life (TFL), it's a Medicare-wraparound coverage available to all Medicare-eligible TRICARE beneficiaries, regardless of age, provided they have Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B.

When using TFL, TRICARE is the second payer after Medicare unless you have other health insurance. In that case, TRICARE is the last payer. You have minimal out-of-pocket costs with TFL. There are no TFL enrollment fees, but you are required to have Medicare Part A and pay Medicare Part B premiums, which vary by income level. You receive care from Medicare-participating, nonparticipating, or opt-out providers. Note that there are significant out-of-pocket expenses incurred if you receive services from opt-out providers.

Moreover, providers who opt out of Medicare enter into private contracts with patients and are not allowed to bill Medicare. To that extent, Medicare does not pay for health care services received from opt-out providers. When you see an opt-out provider, TFL generally pays the amount it would have paid if Medicare had processed the claim (normally 20 percent of the allowable charge), and you are responsible for paying the remainder of the billed charges.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I guess I should have clarified a little. I am not eligible for TFL. I was medically separated. Just trying to find a way to cover my family for less than $1000 per month.

Social Security benefits help to stabilize the family's financial future, especially children's future. Social Security has long been believed to be a good investment, on balance. Most people, for most of the agency's history, have gotten more than they paid in in disbursed Social Security. However, a recent Associated Press evaluation revealed that it isn't the case anymore.

Best Wishes!
Right on! This is exactly how it was explained to me and the exact calculation similar to what my family receives.