va compensation and tdrl

dougcarey568

PEB Forum Regular Member
can someone answer my question ?
I was placed on tdrl and retired august 23 , 2010 Today i finally received my va compensation decision i was rated at 60%.
My question is : i receive 964 dollars a month for retirement pay and i will receive 1034.00 a month for compensation Will I forfeit the retirement check even though i am on tdrl.

Thank you in advance
Dougcarey568

Yes, I am on TDRL and was rated at %80 by the VA. I had to forfeit my DOD retirement pay for VA compensation.

Does anyone know what happens if your retirement pay is higher than the disability? Do you have to forfeit one of them altogether?

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but from my understanding, If your retirement DOD pay is highgher than your VA compensation, you would receive the amount of VA compensation tax free, and whatever amount that your retirement pay is left would be taxed, but yours to keep. Example: rated %50 by the DOD = $1500 / rated %50 by the VA = $899. You would receive your DOD retirement because it is higher, but $899 of the $1500 would be tax free.

I believe Marine32 is correct. I had DTAP class at Bethesda NNMC a few months ago, and that is how it was explained to us.

S/F,
Jungle

From my understanding, it wasn't that there would be a certain amount that is taxed, but we are not allowed to "double-dip". If your retirement pay is higher than your disability, you will "get" both, but the amount of your disability pay will be subtracted from your retirement pay. So, if your retirement pay is 2000/mo and disability is 500/mo, you will get 1500/mo from retirement and get the full 500/mo from the VA.

From my understanding, it wasn't that there would be a certain amount that is taxed, but we are not allowed to "double-dip". If your retirement pay is higher than your disability, you will "get" both, but the amount of your disability pay will be subtracted from your retirement pay. So, if your retirement pay is 2000/mo and disability is 500/mo, you will get 1500/mo from retirement and get the full 500/mo from the VA.

VA pay is offset. So if the VA is more, you will receive all of that and nothing from the DOD. If your DOD pay (retirement) is more you will the VA pay, which is tax free, and the remainder from the DOD.

Ex: Your retirement pay is $3000, your VA compensation is $1500. You would recieve $1500 from the VA (tax free) and the remaining $1500 from the DOD (taxed).

All of this is assuming you are ineligible for CRDP/CRSC

This is where I began to get confused and thats when CRSC comes into play.

My case I was found 70% Army and 80% VA disabled with all being classified and documented as combat related injury. Now from what my peblo told me, I will basically get 70% of my base pay not taxed monthly and I also qualify for CRSC.

My question is with CRSC is it a seperate check? I have heard it reflects your VA percentage...nyone have a clue?

Dear Pharoe:

I went to http://www.dfas.mil/Calculator.htm and I input my projected information. This is the calculator for CRSC.

If you input your information correctly, the calculator will break down how much you will get from the Army, the VA, and CRSC.

Put in your data that you have from the Army, the VA, and your combat related injury percentage. Input dependants, too. And years of service - count ONLY Active Duty time.

Click the button, and anothere little box comes up and says that this is an estimated amount only. Click OK.

Then another box comes up with your monthly total, all broken down by which agency pays which amount - CRSC, too.

PLEASE - Let us know what the calculator comes up with!

Hope it's more than a pizza and beer!

v/r,
nwlivewire