What will happen to my CRSC if I come off medical retirement?

tsbrunell

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi all,

Complete outlier of a question here. Background:

9 years enlisted Army infantry, ambushed by ISIS and lost part of a leg. I was medically retired in August 2022, rated something like 80% by the DoD and 100% P&T by the VA. I'm getting full CRSC now.

I had a bunch of new reconstructive surgeries after I got out, lost a ton of weight, and have made a solid recovery. Pain is still an issue, along with all the other things the VA rated me for, but the Army MEB had only medically retired/rated me for my leg. I can exceed current fitness requirements and want to continue to serve in some capacity.

I've been working my way up to the ARNG G1 to get a waiver or whatever paperwork needs to be done to allow re-entry of service, but in the Guard as a part-timer. I'm not sure exactly how it will work, but I feel like I'll end up getting blessed off by Army medical providers to continue serving in a limited capacity, which I'd be fine with. I don't think my VA disability would be affected; a lot of my ratings are not leg-related. Regardless, it's worth more to me to be able to serve in a limited capacity. I've also seen online that joining the guard with VA disability isn't super uncommon- I'd just have to submit the equivalent of time sheets each year to stop disability compensation during drill days.

CRSC though, I have no idea about. If they sign a waiver to "pull me out of retirement" does that forever cease my CRSC? Alternatively, maybe my retirement status just gets put on a back burner while I'm under the Guard umbrella...not really sure. My hope is it would get treated like VA compensation: just paused for drill periods.

Anyone ever heard of someone coming off retirement and if so, what happens to CRSC?

Respectfully,

Trevor

One has to be in a retired status to receive CRSC. The purpose of CRSC is to replace some or all of the waived retired pay for combat related disabilities.

Another issue. One cannot receive VA comp for active duty days. One of the other mods (or members) might address the VA issue. Also—Most Veterans choose to receive drill pay instead of disability compensation or pension because drill pay is typically the greater benefit. These Veterans must waive their VA benefits for the same number of days they received drill pay.

Ron

Awesome thanks again Ron! Didn't realize drill pay is typically higher.

I guess it depends on how they process my paperwork if I get waived to return to duty. I see on DFAS that it's not impossible to return to a retirement status, as people who have been recalled typically have to do that. I'm not sure how they'll word a waiver, but perhaps they can process it as a recall from retirement while I'm able to serve in the Guard.
--------------

Returning to Retirement after Recall to Active Duty

By following some simple steps, you will be able to transition back to retirement with little or no impact to your financial situation.

Restart Your Retired Pay

In order to restart your retired pay, you must send us the following documents from your Branch of Service:

Army -- Recall orders, separation orders from active duty, and Report of Separation (DD Form 214).

Marine Corps (Retired/Retained) -- Retirement orders, modification orders indicating retention on active duty

Marine Corps (Recall/Reversion) -- Retired/Retained Orders and Statement of Service

Navy (Retired/Retained) -- Retired/Retained Orders and Statement of Service

Navy (Recall/Reversion) -- Retirement Orders, Recall orders, and Statement of Service

Air Force/Space Force -- AF form 938 or recall orders, separation orders from active duty, and Report of Separation (DD Form 214)

Your Pay After Returning to Retirement

You will be paid within 30 days of the date you returned to the retired rolls. Your pay will be calculated according to how long you served.

• If you served less than two years on active duty:
Using the additional earned service, your retired pay is recomputed under the rate of basic pay in effect upon release from active duty, plus applicable cost-of-living increases.

• If you served two years or more on active duty:
Using the additional earned service, retired pay is recomputed under the rate of basic pay in effect upon release from active duty, plus applicable cost-of-living increases. Retired pay may also be recomputed under the basic pay rates in effect before the current active duty pay table in effect at time of return to retired rolls. You will automatically receive whichever computation is greater.

If your retired pay was computed on the high-three average, the months served on active duty during the recall will be added to compute a new high-three average.
----------------
Thanks,

Trevor

Hi all,

Complete outlier of a question here. Background:

9 years enlisted Army infantry, ambushed by ISIS and lost part of a leg. I was medically retired in August 2022, rated something like 80% by the DoD and 100% P&T by the VA. I'm getting full CRSC now.

I had a bunch of new reconstructive surgeries after I got out, lost a ton of weight, and have made a solid recovery. Pain is still an issue, along with all the other things the VA rated me for, but the Army MEB had only medically retired/rated me for my leg. I can exceed current fitness requirements and want to continue to serve in some capacity.

I've been working my way up to the ARNG G1 to get a waiver or whatever paperwork needs to be done to allow re-entry of service, but in the Guard as a part-timer. I'm not sure exactly how it will work, but I feel like I'll end up getting blessed off by Army medical providers to continue serving in a limited capacity, which I'd be fine with. I don't think my VA disability would be affected; a lot of my ratings are not leg-related. Regardless, it's worth more to me to be able to serve in a limited capacity. I've also seen online that joining the guard with VA disability isn't super uncommon- I'd just have to submit the equivalent of time sheets each year to stop disability compensation during drill days.

CRSC though, I have no idea about. If they sign a waiver to "pull me out of retirement" does that forever cease my CRSC? Alternatively, maybe my retirement status just gets put on a back burner while I'm under the Guard umbrella...not really sure. My hope is it would get treated like VA compensation: just paused for drill periods.

Anyone ever heard of someone coming off retirement and if so, what happens to CRSC?

Respectfully,

Trevor
CRSC requires you to be retired. If you come back on as active or guard reservist you won't get CRSC anymore. You will only get VA compensation for the days you are not serving. Once you retire you would get CRSC again. The mechanism to get it started might be convoluted though since its rare. Same thing would happen for a soldier on TDRL who is then found later on to be fit for duty and re enters service.