199 Back with 60%

AV8R,

Congratulations on being permanently retired! I am glad we were helpful and I hope you have a smooth transition to civilian life. Also, remember that it is nice for us to hear how you are doing from time to time and that your experiences can help others going through the process.

Finally, if you haven't already, I would start preparing your VA claim.

Congratulations. I hope your future is a good one. The hard part is over.
RCM7

Thanks. I met toda, informally with the VA rep. Thursday morning I meet with the NYS Div Vet Affairs Counselor to go over all the med issues.

Also, if not in these threads - I applied for and was granted the Soc Sec DI. Got a nice fat check - but beware - that check is taxable - and I received a nice sum (backdated) and called my tax folks (H and R block - I'm not that rich), but I found out that with my pay this year, my wife's salary, and this big check - that I moved into the 28th Percentile...so tuck that money away and be prepared to give half back to Uncle Sugar.

The SSDI payments will be tax free.

Anyway - Thanks again, and I'll continue to update.

AV8R,

That's Great News and congrats!

Question:

After applying for SSDI, how long did it take you to receive an answer and your funds?

My initial application went in April this year. Shortly after that I think end of May I went in for the SSA medical/psyche tests.

Mid June, they wanted to confirm my Army pay.

July/August, went round and round about the actual amount of hours I worked for the last 2 years. That was finalized in August.

At the end of August, my packet was "randomly" selected for review. The last week of September, I was called by my case manager, letting me know I was approved for current and back pay.

Check was in my bank 1st of October.

I then ensured my Direct Deposit was set up - and made separate accounts for my children. The first real payments should be hitting my account tomorrow actually.

AV8R, thank you for replying to my post.

I filed for SSDI in July 08 and was curious how the process worked. Thanks again for explaining.

I do have another question: How did you set up direct deposit with SSDI, and did they give you that option before sending you the paper check?

2nd Question: When you received that phone call, did SSDI give you the past due amount and the amount you will receive monthly?

I do have another question: How did you set up direct deposit with SSDI, and did they give you that option before sending you the paper check?

You should set it up with your case manager. At the time when she asked me, I did not have my routing information, so I had a check sent. I received a letter in the mail with my SSDI info, and a web address that I went to and set up my Direct Deposit information.

2nd Question: When you received that phone call, did SSDI give you the past due amount and the amount you will receive monthly?

Yes - I received a check that went back to April of 07 (1 year)...and my case manager gave her best guess as to my monthly payments during my first or second visit - and she was pretty much spot on. So I am getting my check, plus three more for my kids (which I had to set up their own bank accounts in their name with me as the custodian.

I apologize for being so intrusive; I'm just trying to figure out my entitlements.

I have two children...does this mean I will get two extra checks for them too?

How did you get back pay to Apr 07? My first open heart surgery was DEC 07, so does that mean I will get back paid to the date of my illnesses?

The kids get SSDI checks until they are 18 (or 19 if still in school).

I think back pay is completely dependent upon the individual circumstances - I am no expert on the SSA side by any means - best to ask them.

My back pay date was determined by the date which they (SSA) determined, based on my information and their investigating, that I really "stopped" working for all intents and purposes.

Okay, thank you very much for the information.:) You've helped a lot. Now, I know what kind of questions to ask the SSDA.