eBenefits? - Original VA claim now "closed"; New one for IDES/PEB?

Dwatson

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Has anyone had this happen?

My original VA claim (submitted after leaving active duty Nov 2011) had a "pending decision" but was "closed" as of Jul 1st, 2013. A new claim dated Apr 12th, 2013 was opened as "claim received" which is the day my PEB packet was sent to VA for ratings. Just wondering if this normal?

My understanding is I would have received VA back-pay to the date the original claim was received. How is that impacted by the PEB final decision with or without severance, retirement, VA pay?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you:)

Timeline: (14 1/2 yrs total = 8.2 active + 6 guard)
FEB 2010 - Injured on active duty w/LODs
OCT 2010 - Sent back to mday/drill status - couldn't take fitness test (mthly drills w/in profile)
OCT 2011 - Fit-for-duty exam & recommended for MEB
AUG 2012 - Transferred to guard med hold unit (no drills - only dr appts)
JAN 2013 - C&P exams
Feb 2013 - MEB
MAR 2013 - Signed NARSUM
12APR2013 - PEB unfit memo sent for VA ratings (5 x medically unacceptable conditions)
Currently waiting on ratings

UPDATE - guess it was a good thing:)

OCT 2010 - Sent back to mday/drill status - couldn't take fitness test (mthly drills w/in profile)
NOV 2011 - Filed VA Claim
JAN 2013 - C&P exams
Feb 2013 - MEB
MAR 2013 - Signed NARSUM
12APR2013 - PEB unfit memo sent for VA ratings (5 x medically unacceptable conditions)
JUL 1st 2013 - eBenefits claims changed to "Closed" (three claims were showing - 2011, 2012 that I didn't file, and 2013 IDES)
JUL 12th 2013 - eBenefits changed to "Complete" for the original Nov 2011 claim; said a decision was made and a letter mailed
JUL 14th 2013 - I emailed PEBLO
JUL 16th 2013 - PEBLO checked system and said 199 being prepared; when I begged for preliminary ratings, shared I was rated 50% DOD & 80% VA but wouldn't be final until 199 complete

Another update - getting close to finishing this process:)

JAN 2013 - C&P exams
FEB 2013 - MEB
MAR 2013 - Signed NARSUM
APR 12, 2013 - PEB unfit memo sent for VA ratings (5 x medically unacceptable conditions)
JUL 1, 2013 - eBenefits claims changed to "Closed" - three claims were showing - 2011 (my original claim), 2012 (that I didn't file), and 2013 IDES (PEB/MEB process)
JUL 12, 2013 - eBenefits changed to "Complete" for the original Nov 2011 claim; said a decision was made and a letter mailed
JUL 14, 2013 - I emailed PEBLO
JUL 16, 2013 - PEBLO checked system and said 199 being prepared; when I begged for preliminary ratings, shared I was rated 50% DOD & 80% VA but wouldn't be final until 199 complete
JUL 17, 2013 - Received VA packet in the mail and backpay check from Nov 2011 (my original VA claim file date); VA was missing my dependents so had to complete additional forms and should receive additional backpay from them
AUG 1, 2013 - Received mthly VA check
AUG 7, 2013 - Received DA 199 = 50% DOD PDRL & 80% VA
AUG 8, 2013 - Signed DA 199 = 50% DOD PDRL & 80% VA (PEBLOS said est. 30 days for memo & retirement brief)

Another update - getting close to finishing this process:)

JAN 2013 - C&P exams
FEB 2013 - MEB
MAR 2013 - Signed NARSUM
APR 12, 2013 - PEB unfit memo sent for VA ratings (5 x medically unacceptable conditions)
JUL 1, 2013 - eBenefits claims changed to "Closed" - three claims were showing - 2011 (my original claim), 2012 (that I didn't file), and 2013 IDES (PEB/MEB process)
JUL 12, 2013 - eBenefits changed to "Complete" for the original Nov 2011 claim; said a decision was made and a letter mailed
JUL 14, 2013 - I emailed PEBLO
JUL 16, 2013 - PEBLO checked system and said 199 being prepared; when I begged for preliminary ratings, shared I was rated 50% DOD & 80% VA but wouldn't be final until 199 complete
JUL 17, 2013 - Received VA packet in the mail and backpay check from Nov 2011 (my original VA claim file date); VA was missing my dependents so had to complete additional forms and should receive additional backpay from them
AUG 1, 2013 - Received mthly VA check
AUG 7, 2013 - Received DA 199 = 50% DOD PDRL & 80% VA
AUG 8, 2013 - Signed DA 199 = 50% DOD PDRL & 80% VA (PEBLOS said est. 30 days for memo & retirement brief)

Cool; it's only a matter of time at this point! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Has anyone had this happen?

My original VA claim (submitted after leaving active duty Nov 2011) had a "pending decision" but was "closed" as of Jul 1st, 2013. A new claim dated Apr 12th, 2013 was opened as "claim received" which is the day my PEB packet was sent to VA for ratings. Just wondering if this normal?

My understanding is I would have received VA back-pay to the date the original claim was received. How is that impacted by the PEB final decision with or without severance, retirement, VA pay?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you:)

JAN 2013 - C&P exams
Feb 2013 - MEB
MAR 2013 - Signed NARSUM
Currently waiting on ratings
To help clearify what was going on:
1) Your case was under IDES, the VA can not do a final rating while it is under IDES so they had to closed that case.
2) The VA reopened your case and will be retroactive to the date after your ETS. i.e. Retired on April 1st, the case will be retro to the date of April 2nd, due to the fact you were still getting paid on the 1st from the DoD as AD. Reservists would be a little different.

To help clearify what was going on:
1) Your case was under IDES, the VA can not do a final rating while it is under IDES so they had to closed that case.
2) The VA reopened your case and will be retroactive to the date after your ETS. i.e. Retired on April 1st, the case will be retro to the date of April 2nd, due to the fact you were still getting paid on the 1st from the DoD as AD. Reservists would be a little different.

When you say reservists would be different what exactly do you mean? I am NG and my old case was closed in Ebenefits and a new one opened last Friday. I have not been on orders for over two years nor done my annual training so should i get VA pay all the way back to the date of the initial IDES claim? My MSC mentioned something about me maybe receiving a VA check next month but I am unsure of whether to believe him or not.

When you say reservists would be different what exactly do you mean? I am NG and my old case was closed in Ebenefits and a new one opened last Friday. I have not been on orders for over two years nor done my annual training so should i get VA pay all the way back to the date of the initial IDES claim? My MSC mentioned something about me maybe receiving a VA check next month but I am unsure of whether to believe him or not.
I wish I could advise on NG/Reserves, my experience is from the AD side. Sorry... I am sure someone else will chime in on this soon.