Introduction - Opinions requested

SGT Bob

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. I am pleasantly surprised that there is such a forum for people going through the MEB/PEB process. Great idea!

I am a 46 year old E5 in the Army with 9 years Active duty and 3 years in the Ntl. Guard. I have a laundry list of issues that are as follows; Spinal fusion of T7-T8, slipped disc and buldging disc in lower back as well as arthritis, plantar fasciitis, left wrist surgery and chronic pain, GERD, hiatal hernia, chronic gastritis and possibly sleep apnea. I have a sleep study on Feb. 8th.

I just started the MEB process about a week ago and I just met my PEBLO a few days ago and have an appt. with my VA rep tomorrow.

While I understand that everyone is different and there are a lot of variables that can have an impact, I was wondering if anyone might have an idea as to what I can expect? As expected, the PEBLO said he believes that there is no way I will get less than 30% but that seems a bit vague to me. What do you think?

Also, is it true that there is a new law that is phasing in that will eventually give us both a retirement check as well as the disability check rather than both of them being combined like they are now?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

PEBLO can not guess. The PEB decides your fate if you get there. The MEB decides if you meet standards. Then it goes to the PEB to determine if you are found unfit. If unfit they rate based on VASRD.

The key areas they look at is; Can you perform your MOS and what impact do your ailments have, if any.

Special Note; firing a weapon, deploying, and a physical fitness test are taken in account but not the primary reason to be be found unfit. I know a Soldier non-deployable, rides a bike for PT and doesn't fire a weapon found fit for duty. Everyone has their own perspective on this, you don't want my take.

Range of motion is what the doctors look at when examining you. I have had 2 L5/S1 fusions and have poor range of motion which gave me a 40%. You have to show them that you have tried your hardest to get the pain under control(examples: multiple times at physical therapy, injections, pain medicine, and other means of pain relief). Now as for the sleep study, they told me that I had to have been seen by doctors for a year to even by found unfit for that problem. Hope this helps.

Well, I had the "head to toe" VA Compensation and Pension exam and he said that my range of motion is definitely decreased but I don't know by how much. I have also been diagnosed with sleep apnea, severe depression and tinnitus. I will be getting the CPAP machine in a couple more weeks. I know that sleep apnea is an automatic 50% and tinnitus is 10% so now it's just a matter of what they rate me for the other stuff that I already mentioned.

I'm seeing the attorney that is provided for free to anyone that is in the MEB process. I'm curious to see what he says.