MEB now or take my chances?

Clockwise

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Long story short: I have recently “been offered” the chance to be referred to the MEB by my on-post Social Worker and Army Psychiatrist for Major Depressive Disorder. They have stated to me that “normally” they would not refer a case like mine, but they could make a case for MEB given my situation and history if I so desired.

My question is: “Would I be better off just taking this ‘offer’ to be ‘MEBed’ or would I be better off trying to stick around until I reach twenty years service and then retiring?”

Overall, I think I would most likely be better off “taking the MEB” at this point for a multitude of reasons. I am mostly at this point concerned about “screwing myself” financially if I were to MEB now, vice retiring at twenty years service.

I am more fortunate than most Soldiers, being more familiar and educated with the MEB/PEB/DES process/system by in the past having been in charge of those Soldiers in my battalion going through the MEB/PEB process (working directly with PEBLOs and VA representatives), as well as monitoring this forum over the past year; staying familiar with changes in those processes and systems.

I will stick with the facts and see what sort of information I get as a result.

Prior service: USMCR JUN 1983- DEC 1984; USMC DEC 1984 – AUG 1993; TXARNG MAR 2003 – DEC 2005

Current Service: Staff Sergeant / E-6, United States Army, MOS – 19K (Armor Crewman), DEC 2005-Present

As of this time (5 MAY 12) 17 years, 3 months actual active duty service – over 19 years for pay purposes.

26 months total deployment time: Iraq.

Can substantiate with documentation having been being personally engaged or involved in direct and indirect fire contact with the enemy - rockets, mortars, small arms fire, rocket propelled grenades, improvised explosive devices, and improvised rocket launchers).

Awarded Combat Action Badge and Army Commendation Medal for service under combat conditions.

Possible unfitting conditions:

“Moderate with Major episodes” of Major Depressive Disorder; reoccurring over past two years – has greatly interfered with my ability to perform my duties for my Rank and MOS and resulting in what I would consider to be a “substantial” social impairment – very strong case for service related and developed during deployment. Very well documented. Have changed antidepressant medications and dosages on several occasions but have rarely been “stabilized” for more than six months since diagnosis was made in early 2010. Have also been on three different medications for sleep aid over the past year and a half due to “work related” anxiety resulting in insomnia. Will be placed on an “Insomnia” profile later this week.

Mild (formerly Severe) Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Diagnosed in MAR 2008 with and AHI of 53 after returning from second deployment to Iraq. While I was well tolerating CPAP therapy I was not being well-supported by my unit for the use of my CPAP while in the field (Combat Arms MOS – 19K – Armor Crewman – but basically doing roles traditionally meant for mounted and dismounted Infantry). Was denied deployment in 2010 per CENTCOM Surgeon not granting waiver for CPAP use in CENTCOM Area of Operation. As a result received a Permanent Profile for Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. In an attempt to overcome any future challenge to my ability to deploy, in JUN 11 I had orthognathic surgery (bi-maxillaryLefort I level osteotomy) resulting in more than four titanium plates and twenty titanium screws being placed throughout my skull and jaws. Sleep study, six-months post surgery, indicated a drop in AHI from previous level to an AHI of 13, changing the diagnosis from “Severe” to “moderate”. However CPAP use was still recommended. Within the past six months, I have undergone a genioplasty (resulting a more titanium plates and screws being placed in my lower jaw), liposuction under the lower jaw and neck area, as well as a rhinoplasty and septoplasty in an effort to further reduce the AHI. I have another sleep scheduled within the next week and will not know the results for another two weeks. (I do not know if CPAP therapy will continue to be recommended. I am very well aware of the impact this would have on any potential disability percentage awarded).

Diagnosed and being treated for spinal stenosis in C4-C6 region and bulging disks at C5-C6, resulting in radiculopathy to the right upper extremity (numbness to the right index finger has now gone on for six months). For the past two months I have shown minor onset symptoms of radiculopathy to left upper extremity as well. Have been on “no impact” temporary non-deployable since 27 DEC 11 as a result – unable to my helmet wear any combat equipment, or participate in anything except the most restrictive physical fitness training or physical exertion. Have been treated with non-narcotic pain for past three months. Have undergone one spinal steroid epidural. Have participated in physical therapy for past month. Had initial evaluation and post three week evaluation from Physical Therapist, who feels that while physical therapy has actually slightly increased ROM, and am still “very symptomatic” and feels that surgical intervention will be required if I am to ever overcome non-deployable physical condition for this specific issue; however has decided to continue with physical therapy for the time being. Neck and Spine Surgeon feels surgical intervention may possibly been needed, as of last consultation in late APR 12, Recommends continuation of physical therapy and at least two more spinal steroid epidurals for pain management. After that, he will consider doing a fusion of C5 and C6. (As this condition is currently considered “temporary” it is keeping me from attending Advanced Leaders Course, thus interfering with my ability to be considered for future promotions).

For past three months I have been experiencing chronic lumbar back pain. X-Rays indicate no abnormality. MRI recently conducted but results currently unknown. Diagnosis of back pain currently unknown.

Diagnosed with combat related PTSD (level not indicated) by civilian psychologist within past three months, although on-post Social Worker has in the past been most hesitant to make such a determination, citing a “lack of triggering event” and continues to question this diagnosis made by the civilian psychologist (to which she referred me through Tricare while she was out on maternity leave).

Additional information:

With the current “austere” budget climate in Washington, D.C. and the downsizing trend of the Army, I am not even sure at this point making it to twenty years of service in order to retire is a “sure thing.” It is why I am very tempted to “take the money and run” while I can. An indicator is that I have recently been found to be 1% over the acceptable Army height and weight standards. Even with all of my medical conditions, my unit intends to place me on the Army Weight Control Program. I have heard horror stories that this is the Army’s latest way of getting rid of their “broken Soldiers” and I want no part of it.

Long story short: I have recently “been offered” the chance to be referred to the MEB by my on-post Social Worker and Army Psychiatrist for Major Depressive Disorder. They have stated to me that “normally” they would not refer a case like mine, but they could make a case for MEB given my situation and history if I so desired.

My question is: “Would I be better off just taking this ‘offer’ to be ‘MEBed’ or would I be better off trying to stick around until I reach twenty years service and then retiring?”

Overall, I think I would most likely be better off “taking the MEB” at this point for a multitude of reasons. I am mostly at this point concerned about “screwing myself” financially if I were to MEB now, vice retiring at twenty years service.

I am more fortunate than most Soldiers, being more familiar and educated with the MEB/PEB/DES process/system by in the past having been in charge of those Soldiers in my battalion going through the MEB/PEB process (working directly with PEBLOs and VA representatives), as well as monitoring this forum over the past year; staying familiar with changes in those processes and systems.

Prior service: USMCR JUN 1983- DEC 1984; USMC DEC 1984 – AUG 1993; TXARNG MAR 2003 – DEC 2005

Current Service: Staff Sergeant / E-6, United States Army, MOS – 19K (Armor Crewman), DEC 2005-Present

As of this time (5 MAY 12) 17 years, 3 months actual active duty service – over 19 years for pay purposes.

Can substantiate with documentation having been being personally engaged or involved in direct and indirect fire contact with the enemy - rockets, mortars, small arms fire, rocket propelled grenades, improvised explosive devices, and improvised rocket launchers).

Awarded Combat Action Badge and Army Commendation Medal for service under combat conditions.

“Moderate with Major episodes” of Major Depressive Disorder; reoccurring over past two years – has greatly interfered with my ability to perform my duties for my Rank and MOS and resulting in what I would consider to be a “substantial” social impairment – very strong case for service related and developed during deployment. Very well documented. Have changed antidepressant medications and dosages on several occasions but have rarely been “stabilized” for more than six months since diagnosis was made in early 2010. Have also been on three different medications for sleep aid over the past year and a half due to “work related” anxiety resulting in insomnia. Will be placed on an “Insomnia” profile later this week.

Mild (formerly Severe) Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Diagnosed in MAR 2008 with and AHI of 53 after returning from second deployment to Iraq. While I was well tolerating CPAP therapy I was not being well-supported by my unit for the use of my CPAP while in the field (Combat Arms MOS – 19K – Armor Crewman – but basically doing roles traditionally meant for mounted and dismounted Infantry). Was denied deployment in 2010 per CENTCOM Surgeon not granting waiver for CPAP use in CENTCOM Area of Operation. As a result received a Permanent Profile for Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. In an attempt to overcome any future challenge to my ability to deploy, in JUN 11 I had orthognathic surgery (bi-maxillaryLefort I level osteotomy) resulting in more than four titanium plates and twenty titanium screws being placed throughout my skull and jaws. Sleep study, six-months post surgery, indicated a drop in AHI from previous level to an AHI of 13, changing the diagnosis from “Severe” to “moderate”. However CPAP use was still recommended. Within the past six months, I have undergone a genioplasty (resulting a more titanium plates and screws being placed in my lower jaw), liposuction under the lower jaw and neck area, as well as a rhinoplasty and septoplasty in an effort to further reduce the AHI. I have another sleep scheduled within the next week and will not know the results for another two weeks. (I do not know if CPAP therapy will continue to be recommended. I am very well aware of the impact this would have on any potential disability percentage awarded).

Diagnosed and being treated for spinal stenosis in C4-C6 region and bulging disks at C5-C6, resulting in radiculopathy to the right upper extremity (numbness to the right index finger has now gone on for six months). For the past two months I have shown minor onset symptoms of radiculopathy to left upper extremity as well. Have been on “no impact” temporary non-deployable since 27 DEC 11 as a result – unable to my helmet wear any combat equipment, or participate in anything except the most restrictive physical fitness training or physical exertion. Have been treated with non-narcotic pain for past three months. Have undergone one spinal steroid epidural. Have participated in physical therapy for past month. Had initial evaluation and post three week evaluation from Physical Therapist, who feels that while physical therapy has actually slightly increased ROM, and am still “very symptomatic” and feels that surgical intervention will be required if I am to ever overcome non-deployable physical condition for this specific issue; however has decided to continue with physical therapy for the time being. Neck and Spine Surgeon feels surgical intervention may possibly been needed, as of last consultation in late APR 12, Recommends continuation of physical therapy and at least two more spinal steroid epidurals for pain management. After that, he will consider doing a fusion of C5 and C6. (As this condition is currently considered “temporary” it is keeping me from attending Advanced Leaders Course, thus interfering with my ability to be considered for future promotions).

For past three months I have been experiencing chronic lumbar back pain. X-Rays indicate no abnormality. MRI recently conducted but results currently unknown. Diagnosis of back pain currently unknown.

Diagnosed with combat related PTSD (level not indicated) by civilian psychologist within past three months, although on-post Social Worker has in the past been most hesitant to make such a determination, citing a “lack of triggering event” and continues to question this diagnosis made by the civilian psychologist (to which she referred me through Tricare while she was out on maternity leave).

Additional information:

With the current “austere” budget climate in Washington, D.C. and the downsizing trend of the Army, I am not even sure at this point making it to twenty years of service in order to retire is a “sure thing.” It is why I am very tempted to “take the money and run” while I can. An indicator is that I have recently been found to be 1% over the acceptable Army height and weight standards. Even with all of my medical conditions, my unit intends to place me on the Army Weight Control Program. I have heard horror stories that this is the Army’s latest way of getting rid of their “broken Soldiers” and I want no part of it.

The question you have to ask your self is "HOW IS MY HEALTH". I really believe that is the central issue to all of this. Dumb question, have you had your heart checked; Stress, Depression, Unexplained Back Pain, Possible PTSD. The reason I ask is I had 3 spinal and 2 neck steroid epidurals and then had a Heart Attack. One year ago I had a stress test after an anxiety attack and they said I was good to go (no problems).

If you make it to 18 yrs, you could request to be locked in.... but theres no guarantee on that either....

You are correct of course, my health must come first. In spite of what sounds to be a laundry list of medical problems, I am otherwise actually in decent health - so I guess I tend to take it for granted. I have great cardiovascular health. My most recent EKG was less then three months ago. The only thing I have noticed recently is an elevation in blood pressure. However, I was told that was a possible side-effect to going on Effexor. I am monitoring that and will ensure my providers are kept aware. As for making it to 18 years to be "locked in" I am tracking that as a possiblity as well. Seeing as how as of yet nothing has actually officially begun, I know that I will be between 18 and 19 years of service before and MEB/PEB would make it all of the way through the process - so regardless of the findings, I would most likely be allowed to just ride it out until 20 and retire. However, the longer it takes - and the closer it gets me to 20 - the better my chances. But these days nothing can really be taken for granted.

Thank for the input!

So, tell me, do you have any idea as to the originally question, “Would I be better off just taking this ‘offer’ to be ‘MEBed’ or would I be better off trying to stick around until I reach twenty years service and then retiring?”

There is nothing magical about 18 years of service. There is no provision that guarantees being locked-in at 18 years. The point of confusion on this often arises because of "Sanctuary." However, the Sanctuary law does not prohibit or limit separations/retirements based on disability (or misconduct, for that matter...though that is not implicated in your case).

As for your original question, the two options are not mutually exclusive. That is, you could both make it to 20 years AND then be referred to DES. Being conservative and thinking that it is best to take "sure bets" I would tend to think folks generally should try to make it to 20 if they can. In your case, it sounds like the combat related nature of your conditions MAY make it a toss up. You would need to run the numbers to be sure. But, also recall, the longer you serve, the higher your retired base pay. Another factor is your quality of life. If you enjoy continued service, have good support from your chain and enjoy your job, those factors will probably weigh in your desired outcome. On the other hand, some folks find themselves with a "hot" job offer in the near term that influences their decision-making process. Hard to say without knowing everything about your case.

Good luck, I hope all goes well for you!

I get much support from my medical providers.

However, it seems my current Commander is all about the numbers and sees me as drag on his books, and wants to be rid of me - one way or another. This has caused my quality of life to be damned miserable and almost intolerable. Frankly, at this point, I just want out of the crosshairs and left the hell alone (I am sure a great deal of that is the depression talking).

Any chance we could compare notes in private so you could help me run the numbers, as well as pose to me whatever questions you feel appropriate to help you better know my situation - allowing you to offer to me more informed advice and opinions?

Thank you.

I a

Additional information:

lmo

Additional information:

I almost thought I was reading all my symptoms at first.... I want to be Medically retired so bad. I have most of the same issues, minus the deployments, and the major surgerys and such. I do suffer from all the depressive stuff...but for some reason, no one will start a board on me aqnd I am getting frustrated! Please keep me updated on your status....as I am going to beg my doctors to do this for me. Peartree74

I almost thought I was reading all my symptoms at first.... I want to be Medically retired so bad. I have most of the same issues, minus the deployments, and the major surgerys and such. I do suffer from all the depressive stuff...but for some reason, no one will start a board on me aqnd I am getting frustrated! Please keep me updated on your status....as I am going to beg my doctors to do this for me. Peartree74

Will do!

Suffering from depression, as do you, I know it is far easier to say than to do but find reasons to have hope - hope in whatever it takes to get you through to the next day. Yes, it is painful, it sucks, it makes you feel and act in ways that you do not understand and sometimes makes you feel like a stranger in your own skin and head, and it seems to you that most other people never seem to understand or do not care what you are going through - but you have to fight it. You know the alternative and I will not even mention it because it simply is not an option.

I read what you posted on another thread and the replies you received are pretty much on the spot. The bottom line is, "Can you perform your duties for your Grade and MOS?" and "Have you reached your optimum level of care?" If you cannot perform your duties for your Grade and MOS and you reached your optimum level of care you should be referred to the MEB through your local MTF.

Have a long, serious sit down with your mental health provider. Have notes. List exactly what the regulations state you are expected to do for your Grade and MOS. Explain exactly how, in detail, that you feel you can no longer meet those standards. If possible, have documentation to substantiate your case. Also be prepared to discuss your past treatment, the outcome, and whether or not your provider feels that there is anything else that can possibly be done to make it so you can once again perform at your Grade and MOS per the regulations. If there is nothing else that can be done, and you cannot perform at your Grade and MOS per the regulations, then there should be no reason that I can think of for you not to be referred to the MEB.

But, hey, what do I know? It is not like I have been dealing with helping Soldiers going through the MEB process for nearly three years, have read the pertinent laws and regulations countless times, have read article after article for years regarding the MEB/PEB, and have been reading this forum for a long time - not to mention that I have now been referred to the MEB for MDD (in case I did not mention that part). I am just some guy trying to make it through each day without letting the darkness suck me under and never coming back.

I say all of that to say this: I "get it." You are not alone. You can find hope and you can find a reason to go on; and when you feel that you cannot do so, find someone – anyone - to lean on - until you can once a again.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, legal professional, nor a PEBLO. I do not speak in an official capacity or any entity or organization - public or private. I am just a "broken Soldier" offering my own personal opinion to another person who like me stepped forward, raised their hand, took an oath, and was willing to lay it all on the line for their country. For that you have my everlasting gratitude and respect and as a result, I will keep the faith with you.

You just keep finding reasons to have hope...

:)

Will do!

Suffering from depression, as do you, I know it is far easier to say than to do but find reasons to have hope - hope in whatever it takes to get you through to the next day. Yes, it is painful, it sucks, it makes you feel and act in ways that you do not understand and sometimes makes you feel like a stranger in your own skin and head, and it seems to you that most other people never seem to understand or do not care what you are going through - but you have to fight it. You know the alternative and I will not even mention it because it simply is not an option.

I read what you posted on another thread and the replies you received are pretty much on the spot. The bottom line is, "Can you perform your duties for your Grade and MOS?" and "Have you reached your optimum level of care?" If you cannot perform your duties for your Grade and MOS and you reached your optimum level of care you should be referred to the MEB through your local MTF.

Have a long, serious sit down with your mental health provider. Have notes. List exactly what the regulations state you are expected to do for your Grade and MOS. Explain exactly how, in detail, that you feel you can no longer meet those standards. If possible, have documentation to substantiate your case. Also be prepared to discuss your past treatment, the outcome, and whether or not your provider feels that there is anything else that can possibly be done to make it so you can once again perform at your Grade and MOS per the regulations. If there is nothing else that can be done, and you cannot perform at your Grade and MOS per the regulations, then there should be no reason that I can think of for you not to be referred to the MEB.

But, hey, what do I know? It is not like I have been dealing with helping Soldiers going through the MEB process for nearly three years, have read the pertinent laws and regulations countless times, have read article after article for years regarding the MEB/PEB, and have been reading this forum for a long time - not to mention that I have now been referred to the MEB for MDD (in case I did not mention that part). I am just some guy trying to make it through each day without letting the darkness suck me under and never coming back.

I say all of that to say this: I "get it." You are not alone. You can find hope and you can find a reason to go on; and when you feel that you cannot do so, find someone – anyone - to lean on - until you can once a again.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, legal professional, nor a PEBLO. I do not speak in an official capacity or any entity or organization - public or private. I am just a "broken Soldier" offering my own personal opinion to another person who like me stepped forward, raised their hand, took an oath, and was willing to lay it all on the line for their country. For that you have my everlasting gratitude and respect and as a result, I will keep the faith with you.

You just keep finding reasons to have hope...

:)

I really loved your message. I can tell you suffer from depression with some of the words you were saying. I do carry on as best I can and for the most part I have been doing my best to try to keep it under wraps. After my tragedy with my newborn is when I realized that, I need to not give my all to the military, because I was so focused on the tedious bullshit like finishing that deadline or trying to groom young airmen who will never get it, that i was too stressed to realize that the bomb was bound to drop. I will take your advice and keep a journal, so when I see my doc I have notes to remind me....thank u again.

Being an NCO with Mild Depressive Disorder and Mild Anxiety disorder, I couldn't perform as a NCO everyday... It was pure hell on my Soldiers because they didn't know if they could depend on me the following day or not... I can't imagine what my NCOs and Officers felt... even though everyone tried to help me the best they could, I still feel like I failed every day while I was in.

Being an NCO with Mild Depressive Disorder and Mild Anxiety disorder, I couldn't perform as a NCO everyday... It was pure hell on my Soldiers because they didn't know if they could depend on me the following day or not... I can't imagine what my NCOs and Officers felt... even though everyone tried to help me the best they could, I still feel like I failed every day while I was in.

That truly is the hardest, most painful part. The sad thing is my unit just tried to find everyway possible to get rid of me and damn near drove to doing something tragic...and I will leave it at that.

The question you have to ask your self is "HOW IS MY HEALTH". I really believe that is the central issue to all of this. Dumb question, have you had your heart checked; Stress, Depression, Unexplained Back Pain, Possible PTSD. The reason I ask is I had 3 spinal and 2 neck steroid epidurals and then had a Heart Attack. One year ago I had a stress test after an anxiety attack and they said I was good to go (no problems).

If you make it to 18 yrs, you could request to be locked in.... but theres no guarantee on that either....

Taking your advise I did, in fact, have a Lexiscan recently performed whcih came back showing no blockage of the blood supply from and to the heart.

Not really much of the same problems, but just some insight to possibly give you better perspective. My husband has 12 years of active duty AF service. He has suffered from migraines for 5 years now, so much so half the month he is flat on is back. Luckily his current job is panama schedule so he recovers on his off days from his migraines when possible. He was being treated for his migraines and managed to slip through the radars. We knew he would be MEB'd for migraines it was just a matter of when unless he found a treatment his body would work with. Now he is being admin sep due to 5 pt failures, 3 of which are heart rate based. We knew he had anxiety but not really the extent until his last PT test where he watched his heart rate jump from 147 to 169 upon approaching the finish line. Although the tests should be null in void they are in the system and supervision isn't listening. Since his last test his PCM has removed him from the walk test as its not an appropriate test for someone with anxiety in an uncontrolled state.

I'm telling you all this as some background. We too were hoping to slip through for him to get retirement. When this admin separation hit us we are trying to get the MEB pushed through which is not looking like we have enough time. At one point we figured we would wait it out, but the unexpected is happening and now we wish MEB was brought up sooner. Sometimes things happen for a reason in regards to your offer for an MEB, but in the end you have to do what you think is best. Just prepare for anything. :)