Another Asthma Question

Thanks for the update ibucki. I'm sorry to hear they're going that route, but if they do send you to a place like Korea with the yellow dust, you may just end up with more power for an unfit MEB down the road (if it exacerbates the symptoms). I'm definitely not condoning an exacerbation, just saying that they may end up retiring you yet (as you will need annual RILOs). Here's for hoping.

Yeah, I was shocked last week when my PEBLO told me that you can go to Osan with Asthma... Up until this point she has been making a point of ensuring me that there is NO WAY I would be going to Korea at all with Asthma. Then she tells me Friday that Osan is fine with asthma???? Weird, I'm beginning to wonder if she is making this up as she goes along.

Anyway, I have a Commander's statement that says I am unable to perform the duties associated with my AFSC, a Chief that says if I can't deploy I'm not doing my job and should seperate, and an appointment with my PCM on Wed before he submits the narrative to ensure he knows all the issues that are currently going on, since he has only seen me twice on this. (I've been seing a pulmonologist off base)...

I'm crossing my fingers here... Either way, it's in God's hands now and I'll serve whichever way He directs it.

ibucki,

That kinda sounds like what I went through. I went through a RILO before I got sent to Germany. The doctors here signed off on it and everything. After I got here I was tasked to deploy and couldn't go because of my asthma. Germany weather also changed some things too. They sent my MEB to the IPEB at the end of November 2009. I hope I will be retired since I can't do my job either. I'm also on Advair 500 and a couple of different allergy pills. My doctor says I shouldn't be in, my commander said I shouldn't be doing my job and should be cross-trained if possible. So I'm pretty confident I'll be getting out. I hope you get what your looking for. It's been a long process for me. I left for Germany in Sept of 08. Now I've been waiting for my results for close to 4 months. I agree with rowleycf. If they clear you to go and it gets worse because of Korea you'll definetly have a better chance at retirement later. I hope that doesn't happen though but good luck. Let us know when you hear something.
Boothbb

Well I went to see my PCM today to make sure everything was up to date before he submitted the NARSUM for the RILO.... First of all he was absolutely confident that AFPC would immediately return my case to a full MEB... I'm not so confident, but he kept repeating how there is "no way" they could send me to Korea when they know it will only make matters worse.

He then listened to my breathing... What is weird is that is the FIRST TIME he has listened to my breathing.... I've been going to a pulmonologist off base, so I guess he just figured that guy was doing a fine job. Anyway, he suddenly discovers that I'm not just having asthma symptoms when I exercise (which happened to be the diagnosis he was going to use on the NARSUM), but that I had full blown asthma. So he changed his diagnosis to severe uncontrolled asthma. That is what will be in the NARSUM now!

So that along with the commanders letter that reflects that they must make accommodations for me at work and they don't think I could serve in my AFSC if deployed or without accommodations, I'm guessing that the RILO returning my case to a MEB is more likely.

Should know sometime next week... I'll keep you guys posted.

Good luck ibucki! Boothbb just got TDRL at 30% so there's hope yet. I can't believe your PCM never listened to your lungs. My lungs never sound bad when I'm at my PCM though...only when I'm having an acute attack. The Advair 500 seems to be helping with that. I have a feeling that I'll end up RTD and do the walk test for cardio. My PCM is going to recommend that I no longer do the run for PT. I think I'll probably be able to get my heartrate under control for the walk test, but I also have Panic Disorder, which increases the heart rate when I'm anxious (i.e. I'm afraid of having an attack, so my heart rate raises in response).

ibucki,

You'll probably get TDRL with that diagnoses. If they did send you to Korea I think it would just drag out the MEB process like it did for me. It took so long to find out what was going on with me. I'm glad they finally gave me an answer. Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks guys...

I honestly couldn't believe that my lungs sounded so bad either... It was fine on the breath in, but he made me force out the air and I was actually shocked at how bad it sounded. I knew my symptoms were worse at night and sometimes in the morning, just didn't realize it could be like it was without doing anything.

30% TDRL would be the best news I could imagine. Keeping my fingers crossed.