20% WITH SEVERANCE

xmissboss17

PEB Forum Regular Member
Well, I was worried for nothing!!

Just got my findings (only took 24 days!!) (Navy)

20% for knee instability and old healed meniscus

SO EXCITED!

Congrats, i wish mine was coming back that fast and unfit too. Once again congrats.

Congrats! Glad you got what you wanted.

Can i ask how long you been in and severance.....I am starting my MEB for my knee currently, hit 12 years, and wondering wehat i may be looking at

Are you sure 20% is the right rating? Would you perfer disability retirement if you conditon truly rated 30% or more?

Mike

Lucky: I have only been in for 1 year and 5 months. The severence is going to be about 3 grand give or take. I started my claims with the VA and the Representative said I should recieve a much higher rating from them compared to the Navy's 20%.

I was very surprised to even see 20% considering it was only 1 knee and Ive been in for such a short amount of time.

That was super fast. Congratulations. 30% Would have given you disability pay on a monthly basis though. But, if you are happy then that's all that matter right!

Is the representative stating your knee should rate higher than 20% by the VA or that the VA rating should be higher because it covers more conditonsthan the knee. If more conditons, were these conditions covered in your MEB?
Mike

The VA is also rating my other knee for pain due to overcompensating, anxiety, right hip pain due to overcompensating, arthritis as a result of the arthroscopic surgery.

None of these were incuded in my Medboard, but the VA rep said to literally put ANY little thing that I experience while in the Navy that is documented in my medical record.

The military MEB is required to cover all conditons with full clinical data. Any conditon that contributes to unfitness is required to be rated per the VASRD. Incomplete MEBs lead to artifically low military disability ratings. Trash in equals trash out.

Mike

Yeah well when I told my PEBLO about all my other conditions, she said that they could not be included in my medboard because each of those conditions on their own was not unfitting. I was a little pissed because all of these conditions contribute to my overall unfitness, but she wouldnt allow anything other than my right knee to be included in the package.

I just went through this same nut roll with a marine adjudicated by the Navy PEB. Send me a PM and I can send tons of background. You may want to appeal and request a formal.

Mike