A bit of insight from veteran- Separation pay timeline etc VA payment timeline...RE-3O denied orders

Cobra67

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey all,

Just a little insight from me, I just got about about a month and a half ago and maybe this will help someone.

From start to finish my IDES process took exactly a year from Feb 1, 2016 to Jan 1, 2017 and EAS Jan 30, 2017.

I got Separation pay non-combat (enhanced). I didn't fight anything because I liked my deal but they definitely screwed me at every point. My back (injured in combat operations) and PTSD were my referred conditions and they didn't even examine my back at the C&P. I brought it up to the doc and she said "it'll be in there". They gave me 0% rating from the VA for my back. I had 50% for PTSD but since it wasn't reported in my non-medical assessment they said I was fit for duty in the PTSD area. Total BS!! However, I do not have to pay back any of the separation pay and my seps pay WAS NOT taxed.

My VA payments are due to start on April 1st, two months after I got out because the VA sucks at life. My separation payment came in 15 days after I separated and it was nice to see $41,000 come into the bank. Seems like the military should have been paying me like that all along!

Anyways, regardless of it all I was separated and got my full seps pay even with an RE-3O (denied orders on contract). **NOTE: BIG MIDDLE FINGER TO THE INFANTRY MONITOR I HOPE YOU READ THIS YOU P.O.S. I GOT IT ANYWAYS AND I AM FREE!....**I digress, the medical portion DOES override a RE-3O if anyone was wondering because I was stressing since I couldn't find information on it. I'm currently going back to the VA for 100% and since I am already above 50% (90%) I have full medical from the VA which is why I didn't pursue retirement through a rebuttal.

Moral of the story, don't trust anyone (PEBLO, command) and I mean everyone. Keep your business to yourself. Fight for what you want. Do NOT be afraid to ask questions and be assertive. I felt I was getting screwed and I kind of did but in the end it all worked out perfectly, better than I could have imagined. Now I'm about to start a career making so much more and on the way to financial independence before 30.

Hope this helps some and good luck.

Last edited:
Damn, well congrats, I was in af active duty 88-98 but was honorably discharged high year tenure, receive sep pay approx 12 grand, now no one told me I would have to pay it back, anyway the day after I left active duty I joined reserves 2 days later I became a GS 7 step 1 (ART FULL TIME RESERVIST) from 98 to present I have been military govt employee, the put me in for MEB April of 2015 I've been there ever since. Niw I have been found med unfit fir duty due to PTSD. I was rated for that with the VA at 70%. DOD hasn't rated yet, my VA over all rating with other med conditions is 90% being I've served over 30 years why would I have to pay back separation pay. Had I had any inkling that I would be paying it back I never would have taken.it. well congrats glad everything worked out for you, hopefully someday it will work out for me too